''Nominal Allies''

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

''Nominal Allies''

Post by Granitehewer »

The Star Trek Encyclopedia amongst other 'trek books, describe the romulans as 'nominally allies of the Dominion',allowing dominion vessels to attack UFP-KE forces by taking shortcuts through romulan territory (cited in one episode) and the Star Trek Deep Space Nine Technical Manual has the romulans under 'threat forces' in the vessel section, apart from the hypothetical scenario of Vreenak successfully foiling Sisko and returning to romulus with evidence of federation deceit and provocation, can anyone else imagine any circumstances in which the romulans might actually become full-fledged allies of the Dominion and commit militarily against the federation and klingons? (Although am sure that romulan facilities would remain strictly romulan and not be babysitted by any Jem Hadar unlike perhaps the cardassian facilities)
Last edited by Granitehewer on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ''Nominal Allies''

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, if the Federation had launched an attack on Dominion fleets in Romulan space, then that might push the Romulans into a war against the Dominion.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Knowing the TNG Romulans as we do, I think that the situcation would be more of a non-aggression deal, and they'd wait to see which way the wind would end up blowing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The Romulan mentality has always struck me more as wait till everyone kills each other, then we can swoop in fresh and take everybody while they are weak from war. I think that would have been far more likely than actually joining the Dominion like the Breen or Cardassians.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Frankly I wonder why they waited so long before fighting the Dominion. It was pretty clear that the Klingon/Federation alliance was not going to win alone early in the war. Surely the Romulans can't have been stupid enough to think that if the Dominion conquered both of them that it would then live in peace with everybody else? And surely they can't seriously have thought that they would be able to take the Dominon down alone if the allies did lose?

Before the war they had two opponents, each at least as powerful as they were, but both of whom showed no particular interest in attacking them - despite considerable provocation, I might add!

The post-war environment they faced was a Dominion as big as the Federation, Klingons and Cardassians put together, which was already known to be openly hostile to "solids". How can they possibly have thought that outcome would be good for them?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You make a good point, Graham. If we assume that the RSE had the common sense which you attribute to them, we can only suppose that the Rommies were waiting as long as possible in order to minimize their own attrition, vs. that of the other allies.

Of course, the Tal'Shiar sort of nipped that idea in the bud...
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

-How horrible, fantastic, incredible, it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing.

-However much we may sympathize with a small nation confronted by a big and powerful neighbors, we cannot in all circumstances undertake to involve the whole British Empire in a war simply on her account.

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, 1937-1940

I'm sure I don't need to go into the details but suffice it to say the Romulans could have believed for some wacked reason they could get along with the Dominion...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

We have a saying in the 12 step rooms that could apply here;

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt"

Seems like they were in denial and hoped everything would sort itself out.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Its possible, people do stupid things, it follows that Romulans do stupid things to.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

KuvahMagh wrote:Its possible, people do stupid things, it follows that Romulans do stupid things to.
Like making the "Moe Howard" haircut mandatory species-wide. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In responce to the original question, they might become full aliies if they thought the Dominion would likely win, they might do it to win more favors in a Dominion controlled AQ.
Frankly I wonder why they waited so long before fighting the Dominion. It was pretty clear that the Klingon/Federation alliance was not going to win alone early in the war. Surely the Romulans can't have been stupid enough to think that if the Dominion conquered both of them that it would then live in peace with everybody else? And surely they can't seriously have thought that they would be able to take the Dominon down alone if the allies did lose?
Two options for why they didnt:

1) They were waiting for the other power to soak up some damager before jumping in. This weakens their usual enemies but has a risk to it.

2) Internal issues, the Romulans have never struck me has having a really stable leadership. Maybe the government wasnt in a position to declear war.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You could say the same about several European countries during WW2. Particularly at the start of the war when the US wasn't involved, the USSR was stomping around Eastern Poland and Britain had been driven out of Dunkirque. People don't always take the logical course of action in times of war.

It's possible that the Romulans figured that by allowing the Dominion forces to move through their space they might get on the Dominion's good books, or perhaps they planned on forming an alliance with the Dominion once it was clear the Klingons and UFP were beaten and there was no chance of either of those powers retaliating against them. Or maybe they thought the Dominion would be too bloodied after the war to start another one. Or maybe the Romulan public was just strongly against getting involved, despite what their leaders might have wanted. There are many possibilities.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You gotta remember that the Dominion arent really evil, just paranoid.

One they took over life wouldnt be to bad, probably like how France was in WWII when the Germans took over, sure life was better before but day to day life was ok.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:?

Paranoid is believing that someone or everyone is out to get you. Evil is taking preemptive military action, inlcuding subjugation and conquest, based on those beliefs with no evidence to support them.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In their past they had been hunted and mistreated by solids. They thought the only way to stop this was to rule over them. Thys when they found multiple power empires with a doorway to their space they invaded.

They didnt do anything "evil". They tried to take over, not exterminate.