Draconia Colony - from my series

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Draconia Colony - from my series

Post by Varthikes »

For those of you who have read "Misplaced Dragon" in the Writer's Forum, I thought I'd post a rough diagram of the Earth colony here accompanied by a relatively brief backstory.

Around 2060, five years before World War III broke out, a sleeper ship launched with a few hundred pioneers hoping to escape the then-environmentally unstable Earth. Records of the launch were destroyed during the War and the pioneers were forgotten. The pioneers settled on the second planet in the Epsilon Eridani System. The colony was eventually discovered by the United Earth Ship Mercury in 2134. Ties were re-established between the Providence Colony and Earth, though the colony chose to remain semi-independent from the Earth Union.

At the close of 2162, the Malcon Empire went to war against the Earth Union. In February 2163, the Empire struck Providence. The refugees were gathered in temporary domes on the planetoids of Alpha Centauri. There they remained, waiting during the wars and the subsequent recovery that occupied the Earth Union during the remainder of the 2160s and early 2170s. Finally, toward the end of 2172, a search commenced for a suitable planet to which the refugees could relocate.

In January 2173, such a planet was found in a system designated NB389, now called the Drac System. The UES Vancouver, under the command of Captain Ethlin Robertson, was sent to perform a planetary survey and spot likely locations where a colony could be established. Robertson dispatched a scout ship with a team led by her executive officer, Commander Herman Shelski. Moments after landing, the scout team encountered a creature that resembled Earth's mythical dragons.

Five years earlier, Draconia had nearly been invaded by the lizard-like Noreen. The Draconian leaders had managed to keep that event secret from the general population, though there were still rumors that were believed (or dis-believed) in varying degrees. The Draconian leaders were wary that the new visitors might be related to the Noreen.

The Draconian Circle of Grand Sages agreed to allow the Humans a ten-year trial settlement during which the Humans would proof that they were trustworthy. In exchange for allowing the colony, the Earth Union would provide Draconia with protection from their common adversary, the Noreen.

(If you like to read the event in detail, PM me, and, if I feel I can trust you, I'll be happy to e-mail you the 222-page story)
Last edited by Varthikes on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Draconia Colony

Post by Varthikes »

Here is a diagram of the colony as it was between 2173 and 2179.

"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk