Another Travissty

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Another Travissty

Post by Captain Seafort »

SDN thread

The example provided on the first page, I don't have a problem with - a Sith Lord's internal monologue is not exactly the most reliable of sources.

On the second page though. Bloody hell. "He's not invincible. He couldn't take Fett." Talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi. :bangwall:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Another Travissty

Post by Mikey »

Why would someone who hates Lucas' vision as much as she apparently does write Star Wars books? :roll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think this guy sums the idiocy up nicely:
Uh, kicking the ass of someone covered in sealed combat body armor and armed to teeth with a dozen weapons, equipped with the mobility and "high ground" advantage of a jetback, heavy weaponry (rocket), and fire support (Slave fucking One, a goddamn starship!) while armed only with homespun monk robes and a sword hardly implies parity. Obi-Wan could've survived the drop had Fett not had his barbed forearm blade; Fett wouldn't have. And of course the man in question is also restrained by sentimentals, a mission objective of live capture, and a silly preference for formal combat. If he were a Sith, he would've just pinched a blood vessel in his neck and made him pass out or nerve in his spine to paralyze him, or prevented his breathing until he passed out; fuck the long-term consequences.
Seriously, why the frak is she still allowed write novels? Do none of the guys at Lucas Licensing realise that not only do her books blatantly contradict the movies, but that they're just plain frakking stupid?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Why would someone who hates Lucas' vision as much as she apparently does write Star Wars books? :roll:
Because she couldn't hack in the TA, RNAS or as a defense reporter. And quality control in the SW EU is a joke.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Because she couldn't hack in the TA, RNAS or as a defense reporter.
Ha! She'd probably report that the US Army has a total of 112 stnading troops, and then send you hate mail if you disagreed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wow... :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: <That sumsa up my feelings about right...

Seriously, with that, Travis is fast approaching my most-hated SW author...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Another little tidbit, from reading Graham's post in the main Clone Wars thread. The Hutts apparently have similar reproductive stupidity to the Ocampa. :roll:

At least they do all give birth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Was that bit actualy Travissty's doing, though?
"Fast approaching"? There's someone you hate more? Who, and why?
Hell, personaly I'd rather read a KJA book than one of her's.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham, in the movie thread wrote:the novelisation of this movie states that Jabba was especially upset about this because Hutts reproduce asexually, and can only have one child each throughout their life.
The impression I got was that it was specifically in the novel rather than the film.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Was that bit actualy Travissty's doing, though?
"Fast approaching"? There's someone you hate more? Who, and why?
Hell, personaly I'd rather read a KJA book than one of her's.
Troy Denning. Three words: Star By Star. Actually, all of his SW material I've read, I've at least mildly disliked it. SBS gave me a conniption fit. And I haven't actually read any of Travis' work, so I can't fully judge.

SBS was a piece of shavit, my most-hated book.

And KJA? I love his SW work. The YJK got me into SW, and I still read it to this day. It gave me a bit of a boost during the darkest period of my life, a little bit of hope. The JAT was more in the spirit of the OT and was damned fun. I enjoyed it, so it was good.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The impression I got was that it was specifically in the novel rather than the film.
I take it Travis wrote the novelisation?
Troy Denning. Three words: Star By Star. Actually, all of his SW material I've read, I've at least mildly disliked it. SBS gave me a conniption fit. And I haven't actually read any of Travis' work, so I can't fully judge.

Don't think I've read any of his stuff, so I can't really comment.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:

Don't think I've read any of his stuff, so I can't really comment.
Count yourself lucky. SBS ruined SW for me. And for most of my RL friends, too.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think I'll avoid it in that case.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:I think I'll avoid it in that case.
... No. Don't take my full word for it. I will admit I am somewhat biased against it... even though the capture of Coruscant was BS... the Strike Team mission was ill-conceived at best... several deaths were for shock value only...

Okay, never mind. Take my word for it. It sucks. :P
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:[
I actually liked SBS. it has some errors and the amazing lightspeed flying of the X-Wings was kind of POS but it was fun. I liked the death toll.

KJA I don't mind. Not the best author but he's not terrible. He's got good storylines, just a minimalist.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-