Mothball Upgrades

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mothball Upgrades

Post by Mark »

I was messing around with the calculator today, with upgrading some of the older ships, like the Connies and such, with DS9 era weapons. By putting in pulse fire quantum torpedos instead of the 2nd class torpedo systems in there now, and beefing up the weapons and shields, it didn't look to ridiculous. What do you guys think? Is it realistic to upgrade THAT much?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Mothball Upgrades

Post by Teaos »

In my opinion there ar two problems with upgrading.

One is that there is only so much you can do to an old design before it just becomes to hard to upgrade any further.

Second is that just because you can upgrade something doesnt mean you should. A lot of the time it would be a hell of a lot easier to just build a new ship than refit an old one.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Its all well and good using the calculator making the stats up, but the problem is actually implementing them.

Take the Connie refit. by the DW, it will falling apart. trying to wrench in a pulse torpedo launcher is gonna be a hellova mish mash job. it'll be even less effective than the cobbled together Frankenstein ships.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

You'd be putting in kit that was never designed to work with the previous generations. Look at Relics, Geordi was virtually useless on Scotty's transport and Scotty didn't recognise half the kit on the E-D, Which implies that most of the new stuff is incompatible with the previous generation. You probably could slap a QT or pulse-fire launcer in the Connie but how are you going to make it work?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Even if you could make the ship structurally and electronically capable of somewhat handling the new weapons and tech (which I doubt,) the hulls are too old to make it cost-effective. You're putting SOTA (and presumably resource-intensive) tech into hulls that will only last another ten years or so.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Even if you could make the ship structurally and electronically capable of somewhat handling the new weapons and tech (which I doubt,) the hulls are too old to make it cost-effective. You're putting SOTA (and presumably resource-intensive) tech into hulls that will only last another ten years or so.
You could new build hulls with the high tech kit. Honestly I always figured that the Dominion Mirandas and Excelsiors where at least in part new build hulls along with the Klingon K'Tinga varients (300 years is a little much for a ship!). Mind you you still have to integrate all the new hardware (from buttons, to power distrubution to reactor) into the hull. Most likely cheaper and easier to design from scratch.

It's not like you see many old Fletcher class DD's running around with SM-2's and gas turbines.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I thought they re-hulled them or at least rebuilt part of the hull.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps; but as Kendall says, it's probably better economically and effectively to produce new designs made for the newer tech.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Of course. by the point of the DW, they were absolutely desperate for any ship they could get, be it one of the many that Utopia Planetia were churning out or one of the old warhorses lying about doing nothing special.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Perhaps; but as Kendall says, it's probably better economically and effectively to produce new designs made for the newer tech.
There's a fanon bit about the Big E being stripped to the frame and being rebuilt into what we saw in TMP, though they were obviously using tech that wasn't to far ahead of what they already had. They certainly didn't use plasma conduits for console power. I rationalise it as the TOS era Federation being more resource limited than they were in later series (how often did we see Sisko or Picard negotiating with natives for dilithium?), rebuilding old ships and vehicles is often done by cash strapped nations as it appears to be cheaper than new build.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:Of course. by the point of the DW, they were absolutely desperate for any ship they could get, be it one of the many that Utopia Planetia were churning out or one of the old warhorses lying about doing nothing special.
If that's the case than those ships are likely needed immediately, not 18 months down the road when they finish refitting.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

good point.
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Abraxas »

Well, even if they can fit on the hull, I'm sure they consume a fair bit more power, which means you need to totally upgrade the power creation and distribution systems... and it's just not whorth it to pull out a steam engine and throw in a nuclear reactor just so you can use the aegis sensor system. Or to make it a Trek analogy, it's just not whorth it to pull out your 50 year old warp core and put in a new one just so you can Type X phasers instead of Type VI.

It's just better to make a new ship - which is probably why the UFP has such a wealth of new/old designs.

They build new ships to keep pace with every pieace of new technology and keep the old ones until they litorally fall apart...

The US Navy does a better job then the UFP does. What? Did they forget common sense after a couple hundren years?
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Abraxas wrote:Did they forget common sense after a couple hundren years?
Welcome to DITL. Please feel free to look around.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Definitely you'd have problems with integrating tech into a ship that isn't compatible with it in any way. Hell, even now a 5-6 year old computer can't be upgraded with modern components since it isn't compatible with the latest standards, which advance about every 5 seconds.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who