The Dominion's capture of DS9

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Dominion's capture of DS9

Post by Mark »

stitch626 wrote:
The problem, however, stands - we have never seen a photon torpedo shot down. We have never even seen an attempt to shoot down a PT. This suggests that phasers simply aren't accurate enough to hit that small a target.
Yes we have seen a phaser destroy a torpedo. Hopefully I have the ep on DVD, so I can find the name.
It was either the "Paris Manourver" or "an old Maquis trick". At least I think it was then. May have been a different time.
Anyway, the ep had Voyager being followed, then voyager fired a torpedo and in between the ships and then destroyed the torpedo with a phaser. It disabled the ships. And this wasn't the Vidian episode.
I'll let you know when I find the name of the ep, or even beter, a clip.

I think it was that episode where Voyagers crew were all captured to be part of that work force. The Doctor got to be the ECM and he and Harry were arguing about who's in charge. The Doctor remembered that manuver and Harry used the exploding lifeboat one again.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

No, I know it wasn't that episode. That's my problem, I know which one's it wasn't, but not sure which one it was. Anyway, my sister has most of the series on DVD, so I will eventually find it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Your sister likes treK? Wow.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:Your sister likes treK? Wow.
Not many female Trek fans. I'd say it's like 80-20 guys into trek.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I'm reminded of the scene in Trekkies, it might be #2 but I'm pretty sure it is the first one, where they are at that Trek party and the real dork is sitting there talking about it and he says "this year we had a girl show up" or something to that effect... the way he said it was so hilarious...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Of course, they DO have some hotties and "freakies" show up to the conventions. The freakies are actually more fun, as they KNOW that they don't have the looks, they make up for it in other ways. :happydevil:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That does sound fun.

I guess my old plan to meet women at sci-fi conventions wasn't too far-fetched after all. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

"Your sister likes Trek" sounds like an insult you'd throw at a jock.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd say it's like 80-20 guys into trek.
More like 99 to 1. We have three girls on this forum and not one of them is a regular.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, Uzume was a regular member.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Kinda, sorta. Was only around for awhile.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Supposedly, she's on her way back.

But why is the typical demographic for sci-fi skewed so much toward males?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Because it tends to be about science/plot/battles/war a lot more than other genras and they are typically male hobbies. Woman like character development and romance a lot more.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Meh. In the best sci-fi, all the things you mention are merely set pieces for the central character development and thematic advancement.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

True, but I think it's not that women don't care about the science/action/war stuff, rather they actively dislike it. So even if there's character/romancy type stuff, having to sit through the phaser/lightsaber battles that take up half the screentime annoys them so much that they can't be bothered.

To every rule there are exceptions, though. I have a female friend who is registered here but only ever posted a couple of time. Her thing is ships, and in a HUGE way. She designs her own constantly. So much so that I'm not always sure that she notices that Star Trek and Star Wars actually have people in them at all. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...