The Dominion's capture of DS9

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Dominion's capture of DS9

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:I don't understand your remark about the Breen, from what I remember they used either Phaser or Disruptors (one separate occasions they were claimed to use one or the other)...
They were mentioned in Generations as using the same type of disruptors as the Klingons and Romulans. In DS9, however, they seemed to rely heavilly on torpedoes, to the extent of there not being a single example I'm aware of of a Breen ship firing disruptors.
Deep wrote:Not at short range but at long range when you see them coming you could just set your phasers to fire in pattern at the torps. I doubt it takes to much to take down a torp. Don't see them having much armour or shielding.
The problem, however, stands - we have never seen a photon torpedo shot down. We have never even seen an attempt to shoot down a PT. This suggests that phasers simply aren't accurate enough to hit that small a target.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Voyager managed to shoot a torpedo, i cant remember which episode. Then again, it was one of their own.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In ST Generations Worf was going to shoot down the torp fired from the surface.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They were mentioned in Generations as using the same type of disruptors as the Klingons and Romulans. In DS9, however, they seemed to rely heavilly on torpedoes, to the extent of there not being a single example I'm aware of of a Breen ship firing disruptors.
They might have been talking about hand held weapons.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:Voyager managed to shoot a torpedo, i cant remember which episode. Then again, it was one of their own.
You might be thinking of Resolutions - Voyager ejected an antimatter pod into the middle of a Vidiian task force, then used a torpedo to detonate it. My guess is that the torpedo's on-board sensors were able to home in on the pod, which obviously wouldn't be possible for a phaser.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:In ST Generations Worf was going to shoot down the torp fired from the surface.
They were planning to try that - noone was was too confident about being able to pull it off.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Voyager managed to shoot a torpedo, i cant remember which episode. Then again, it was one of their own.
You might be thinking of Resolutions - Voyager ejected an antimatter pod into the middle of a Vidiian task force, then used a torpedo to detonate it. My guess is that the torpedo's on-board sensors were able to home in on the pod, which obviously wouldn't be possible for a phaser.
I think he was talking about the ep where Tom Paris had the flyer and fired on that Water Planet's city and Voy took it out with a torp of its own.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:In ST Generations Worf was going to shoot down the torp fired from the surface.
They were planning to try that - noone was was too confident about being able to pull it off.
Because they didn't know where the torp was coming from. It seemed about 50/50 going in. If you know the target point and a starbase being much smaller then a sun you have a much easier time watching over it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It might have been the vidiian incident.

the torp/antimatter pod was fired off at three assailant ships, then the phaser detonated it causing a large explosion that damaged all three.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:It might have been the vidiian incident.

the torp/antimatter pod was fired off at three assailant ships, then the phaser detonated it causing a large explosion that damaged all three.
Definately the Vidiian incident then - although it was a torp they used to detonate it, not a phaser.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Really? fair enough.

early Voyager was even worse than the normal stuff, so don't blame me for not remembering.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Have we ever seen a modern ship born phaser fire wide beam? If so they could just through up a wall of phaser fire.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Teaos wrote:Have we ever seen a modern ship born phaser fire wide beam? If so they could just through up a wall of phaser fire.
Unless the plot dictated that the Tac Officer forgot how to push that button...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think we've ever seen ships use wide-beam phasers before.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm sure it cant be that hard. set up an array pointing toward a group of fighters, and light up the whole thing. it'd be like a Halo of death.