They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Our Ship - Shape

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

While MVAM does have many uses, it is more suitable to a cruiser or destroyer type ship that uses it's manuvrability to gain the advantage over the enemy in certain tactical situations. This is a battleship, who's primary purpose is to slug it out in large fleet engagements.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Mark wrote:Question: Is anyone a good enough sketch artist to draw and upload the final ship?
I'm kindof sketchy looking... does that count?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:By the way, are we carrying any "MACOs" or "Marines" or whatever we are calling the SF groundpounders these days?
I wouldn't advise it. Again, because this is a battleship. A destroyer could probably do with some, but a battleship's role is to carry and deliver massive firepower, not to act as a general-purpose power-projection platform.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah its not really the positionof a battleship to deal with land troops.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed, there's no real use for them on this vessel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm currently drawing a verryy basic design of it to throw some options in the ring based on the current popular trends.
It's proving challenging getting the all 4 nacelles close to the hull in the medium distance spectrum.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah my original idea for a Norway shaped ship doesnt work to well with 4 nacelles. It makes it a hard design to make since I am trying to cover the nacelles as much as possible.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I think the Prometheus would be a good starting point for the design. Shorten the nacelles slightly and pull them in closer to the engineering hull, and increase the size of the engineering hull relative to the saucer, and I think we'd have a good general idea of what the ship would look like. The engineering hull would have to be quite deep, to fit both the main deflector and the phaser lance, and to allow for a decent-sized warp core.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is also a decent sized fusion reactor to go somewhere as well.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Put it in the saucer - since that's usually full of science labs and luxury accomodation (which this won't have) there'll be plenty of space.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

you could have said earlier :P

I've taken inspiration again from the Curry class, taking both nacelles, one over the other, under the hull. There is a strut leading from the trailing edge of the saucer to the first nacelle, a short strut between them mounting a phaser array, then a long strut trailing from the bottom nacelle to the engineering hull which is directly attatched to the saucer. there is a torpedo pod on top, and the phaser lance is built to run down the central axis, inside the hull.

Sorry for the poor quality and the uneven edges. this is very rough.

EDIT: if you cant see it well then heres the link http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii15 ... d/Scan.jpg
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's an interesting start - I've just got a few points to raise about it:

1) The single-hull design certainly makes it a lot stronger, but I'm concerned that it would make the nacelles more vulnerable, as they'd be sticking out somewhat, rather than being somewhat protected (at least from the front) in the Prometheus-based concept.

2) Those nacelles look awfully small relative to the ship.

3) I think the phaser lance should be external rather than internal. The latter makes it better protected, but that thing will produce a lot of waste heat, which I'd rather were radiated into space rather than the interior of the ship.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The nacelles was the major concern of mine. the main reason they are tiny is because i cant draw trek ships at all, and they always look horribly mis sized.

The lance i was working on the protection aspect. Although i'm sure the deflector could be moved up and the lance placed on the bottom.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think it would poduce enough heat to worry about. I wouldnt want to risk it on the out side. Even a aglancing hit might be enough to knock out something like that. And it wouldnt be easy to fix.