Dominion Battleship

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Have to confess,i find the whole notion of the dominion dreadnought more plausible,personally,recently,with the advent of the reman scimitar,showing that 'superships' by the 'conventional powers'(defined in my head,as the big three of the alpha quadrant and the dominion), are possible,although pre-nemesis, i'd have pooh-poohed the notion,off hand.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Whether we believe something is a FX glitch or not is completely subjective and hardly subject to bias - except that which comes with every opinion.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Um, exactly. Subjective opinions are nothing BUT bias.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Since when are opinions not subjective?
Bias is altering something to fit your purpose better. There is no purpose for me to bias my opinion around.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There are always biases at work, conscious or not. You remove them by having a procedure for basing your opinion on the evidence and sticking to it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

fight,fight,fight,fight! lol
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I didn't say that it was conscious or not, but it's besides the point.
For basing my opinion on the evidence; FX department are idiots, and have shown this on countless occasions. There's the evidence, my opinion is that the FX department got it wrong. Problem solved :wink:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

If we assume pure suspension of disbelief, the only option is that the Dominion possesses an object, approximately 5 km long, resembling the battleship. Whether it's a large warship or some kind of space station (since we never saw it move) is debatable.

On the subject of visuals vs dialogue, I'd follow visuals, since they are an absolute representation of what's "really" happening, whereas dialogue may be compromised by mistakes on the part of a character.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

For basing my opinion on the evidence; FX department are idiots, and have shown this on countless occasions. There's the evidence, my opinion is that the FX department got it wrong. Problem solved
But you cant do this if you suspend disbelief. Which is exactly how we work all this stuff out. The fact is, the ship was there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

For basing my opinion on the evidence; FX department are idiots, and have shown this on countless occasions. There's the evidence, my opinion is that the FX department got it wrong. Problem solved
But you cant do this if you suspend disbelief. Which is exactly how we work all this stuff out. The fact is, the ship was there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I don't think we can be certain that those were ships. Given that it's far larger than any other Dominion ship we've seen it's possible that they were large-scale orbiting defence platforms, despite their strong resemblance to the battleship.

Is something wrong with the board or what? There's double posts poping up everywhere. :?
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm getting a bunch of 'cannot find server' errors popping up all over the damn place. I guess something is up. :?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If its shown on screen it is canon in my opinion.

And I doubt given their design that they are stations.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, they seemed to be pretty much ships. And I see no sense in having a space station the same shape as one of your ships, the design would need to be different to acomadate things like enignes.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It doesn't matter if its there or not. Fluff says no, screen says yes, trekies say HUH? Anyways, its not real, we all know its not, it was a graphics slip up but it can be fun to pretend it is real and then get to fuss about it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu