Ship Strength Calculator [2]

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Ship Strength Calculator [2]

Post by Thorin »

Specifically the torpedos - why is the only tube that has its reload time taken into account the pulse fire? Without doubt every tube must have a reload time.
And also would it be possible to have all the tubes also have a quantum torpedo equivilent? Maybe it might be simpler to have a 'launcher' section, where it is chosen from the drop down menu, and then choose quantum/photon/micro photon (the later negating whatever laucnher it is as it can only be fired from one type), which would just multiply the strength index accordingly?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship Strength Calculator [2]

Post by Deepcrush »

I think its that TLs require some kind of major upgrade to allow them to use QTs. The Upgrade itself must be somewhat difficult as SF seems to be very picky about who they give it to.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think what he means is why can't you have a Pulse Fire QT etc in the selection possibilities...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

KuvahMagh wrote:I think what he means is why can't you have a Pulse Fire QT etc in the selection possibilities...
Or even a burst fire QT
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe its just easier to build pulse and rapid fire weapons.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Yeah but he is talking about the DITL Calculator not why we don't have it on the shows...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

KuvahMagh wrote:Yeah but he is talking about the DITL Calculator not why we don't have it on the shows...
Because the rest fire at a given rate per second. That includes loading times firing times and all other activities. For Pulse fire it's clear that there is a loading phase followed by a separate firing phase. This is shown in the show as a set of torps come out one after the other and then there's a gap followed by another set of torps.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd like to see a phaser vamp up. Something like where you enter in how many of what type and the calc works up the TJ.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

IanKennedy wrote:Because the rest fire at a given rate per second. That includes loading times firing times and all other activities. For Pulse fire it's clear that there is a loading phase followed by a separate firing phase. This is shown in the show as a set of torps come out one after the other and then there's a gap followed by another set of torps.
But all the others have a reload time, even if it's just speculative. Taking into account the reload time for only one type of tube seems a bit unusual, doesn't it?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Thorin wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:Because the rest fire at a given rate per second. That includes loading times firing times and all other activities. For Pulse fire it's clear that there is a loading phase followed by a separate firing phase. This is shown in the show as a set of torps come out one after the other and then there's a gap followed by another set of torps.
But all the others have a reload time, even if it's just speculative. Taking into account the reload time for only one type of tube seems a bit unusual, doesn't it?
The rate per second takes that into account. It's because we see on screen that they can pump out at a certain speed that they have that rate of fire. The e-D however, showed us that it had a 'pulse fire' mode where they shoot a set of torps and then wait and then shoot again. Internally the calculator simply uses the 'rate of fire' column in the calculations. In doing so that class of torp is averaged out at 1 per second.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:I'd like to see a phaser vamp up. Something like where you enter in how many of what type and the calc works up the TJ.
We do have rough rules for what set of phasers give what output, however, there's more than number and type of phasers to take into account. What about the size and capability of the warp drive for example.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, I was just hoping for something to help those who are as stupid with math as I am. :lol:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Thorin wrote:Specifically the torpedos - why is the only tube that has its reload time taken into account the pulse fire? Without doubt every tube must have a reload time.
For most torpedo tubes, the reload time IS the rate of fire. Take the 2nd class; it fires a round every 4 seconds, which means that 4 seconds is the reload time. Techincally it's the time taken for the torpedo to fire, clear the tube, and then the tube to reload; but I tend to assume that the actual firing process is something that happens very quickly.

For the pulse fire tube it's different. In a burst fire tube you have a loading stage which can take (for example) ten torpedoes, then a launch barrel which can fire all ten at once, etc. Pulse fire tubes work like a revolver. You have a loading stage that can handle four torps simultaneously, but the tube and firing gear can only fire one at a time. So you take time to load up your four torps, then they are fired in quick succession. Simply quoting how rapidly the tube could fire torps would not help you, because the tube can fire itself dry and then sit around waiting for the magazine reloader to do its thing. And quoting the magazine reloader rate wouldn't help either, because the magazine can only be reloaded once the tube has finished firing its four torps. So it's a combination of the two which gaves the overall firing rate.
Deepcrush wrote:I'd like to see a phaser vamp up. Something like where you enter in how many of what type and the calc works up the TJ.
Not that easy. I do not agree with the idea that "I have one Type X array and you have two Type X arrays so you have twice my firepower." For me saying that two Type X arrays must have equal firepower is just as silly as saying that two .45 calibre bullets must have identical stopping power. So you can't simply say "5 Type VIII arrays" and get a power output back.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

All true enough.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Thorin wrote:Specifically the torpedos - why is the only tube that has its reload time taken into account the pulse fire? Without doubt every tube must have a reload time.
For most torpedo tubes, the reload time IS the rate of fire. Take the 2nd class; it fires a round every 4 seconds, which means that 4 seconds is the reload time. Techincally it's the time taken for the torpedo to fire, clear the tube, and then the tube to reload; but I tend to assume that the actual firing process is something that happens very quickly.

For the pulse fire tube it's different. In a burst fire tube you have a loading stage which can take (for example) ten torpedoes, then a launch barrel which can fire all ten at once, etc. Pulse fire tubes work like a revolver. You have a loading stage that can handle four torps simultaneously, but the tube and firing gear can only fire one at a time. So you take time to load up your four torps, then they are fired in quick succession. Simply quoting how rapidly the tube could fire torps would not help you, because the tube can fire itself dry and then sit around waiting for the magazine reloader to do its thing. And quoting the magazine reloader rate wouldn't help either, because the magazine can only be reloaded once the tube has finished firing its four torps. So it's a combination of the two which gaves the overall firing rate.
Not that easy. I do not agree with the idea that "I have one Type X array and you have two Type X arrays so you have twice my firepower." For me saying that two Type X arrays must have equal firepower is just as silly as saying that two .45 calibre bullets must have identical stopping power. So you can't simply say "5 Type VIII arrays" and get a power output back.
Graham, I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time. Can any one phaser array channel the FULL total power of her beam weapons into one blast, or does that figure need to be divided by the number of banks or arrays a ship has?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.