Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: War of the Week!

Post by Mark »

Dum, dum, dum.......

Maybe there is a bit more to this war than a first glance :confused:

To be perfectly honest, I'd have to spend some time in serious thought before I'd be able to begin to formulate an opinion. There are alot of variables here.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Why? The Alliance has starships considerably bigger than DS9. This indicates that their starships are considerably stronger than their main-universe equivalents, and so they should be able to defeat the Dominion War allies without much trouble.
They have one such starship and it failed to defeat a single Defiant.
We never saw Fed, Klingon or Romulan ships engage those ships. The Defiant is also far more manoeuverable than any other ship we've seen - note that I specifically reffered to the power of the ship relative to it's main-universe equivalents, not that it was invulnerable. The number of Defiants at Starfleet's disposal is extremely low, and so a full-scale fleet action would involve more traditional tactics (i.e. wallow like a stranded whale while relying on protection and firepower). These tactics favour large, powerful ships like the Regency class.
One big ship in the middle of a fleet battle is going to find itself the target of every ship around. Again, we've only seen one so once its gone, its gone. Starfleet can turn out Defiants and Sov's alot faster then the M-KE could turn out Regency class vessels.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Another War of the Week!

Post by Mikey »

As far as we know, the Alliance was able to field a specific number of Regencies - exactly one. And if that one goes, how soon do you think you can replace it?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thread split - it's effectively a new debate, rather than a development of the old one, so it deserves a thread of its own.
Deepcrush wrote:They have one such starship and it failed to defeat a single Defiant.
We saw one - to argue that it was the only one built, with no supporting evidence, is ludicrous. As for the battle I already explained this - the fleet actions that characterise a full-scale war suit the Regency class much better than the engagement against the Defiant.
One big ship in the middle of a fleet battle is going to find itself the target of every ship around. Again, we've only seen one so once its gone, its gone. Starfleet can turn out Defiants and Sov's alot faster then the M-KE could turn out Regency class vessels.
It's a big target, but it's size also means it's got the power to withstand the sort of punishment a fleet can dish out - look at how well DS9 stood up against the Klingon and Dominion fleets for example, and the Regency is far larger than DS9. There's also the problem that concentrating exclusively against the Regency would expose your fleet to attack by the rest of the Alliance fleet.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also a single defiant was enough to keep the KE/CU alliance at reach from M-DS9. Sounds to me like their fleet is in fact rather small and weak that an attack would be to costly to make.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:Also a single defiant was enough to keep the KE/CU alliance at reach from M-DS9. Sounds to me like their fleet is in fact rather small and weak that an attack would be to costly to make.
Due to internal sabotage, though
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We saw one - to argue that it was the only one built, with no supporting evidence, is ludicrous. As for the battle I already explained this - the fleet actions that characterise a full-scale war suit the Regency class much better than the engagement against the Defiant.
No, its not ludicrous, its cannon. We know there is at least one but there is only one that has ever been shown or spoken of. There for until we are shown otherwise, there is only one. If you want to say there are more then what cannon shows then you must have evidence.
It's a big target, but it's size also means it's got the power to withstand the sort of punishment a fleet can dish out - look at how well DS9 stood up against the Klingon and Dominion fleets for example, and the Regency is far larger than DS9. There's also the problem that concentrating exclusively against the Regency would expose your fleet to attack by the rest of the Alliance fleet.
Thats a poor example as in neither case were the attacking forces trying to destroy DS9, the Regency wouldn't be so lucky.
Thread split - it's effectively a new debate, rather than a development of the old one, so it deserves a thread of its own.
We're not talking about a war but weither it would be a war worth having. So far, its not. The UFP/KE/RSE vs KE/CU isn't by any means a good match.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Also a single defiant was enough to keep the KE/CU alliance at reach from M-DS9. Sounds to me like their fleet is in fact rather small and weak that an attack would be to costly to make.
Due to internal sabotage, though
A ship with no back up power or support systems and very poor armour that is about as tough as Romulan hull plating.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

We could do something with just WILD speculation like the Tholians and the Gorn?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We really just don't know enough about the Gorn to throw them into anything.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:No, its not ludicrous, its cannon. We know there is at least one but there is only one that has ever been shown or spoken of. There for until we are shown otherwise, there is only one. If you want to say there are more then what cannon shows then you must have evidence.
There's no evidence that its unique. It's highly likely that it's a very rare design, used only as a command ship for important operation, and it's possible that there's only one in existence, but to state categorically that it's unique unless proven (or even suggested) otherwise is pushing it too far.
Thats a poor example as in neither case were the attacking forces trying to destroy DS9, the Regency wouldn't be so lucky.
Neither were those fleets trying to get the stuffing kicked out of them, but that's what happened. In both cases the fleets in question had to concentrate all the firepower at their disposal to break through DS9s shields.
We're not talking about a war but weither it would be a war worth having. So far, its not. The UFP/KE/RSE vs KE/CU isn't by any means a good match.
The fact that we're having this debate seems to suggest otherwise. Besides, it's a new "War of the Week" debate regardless of who the selected combattants are.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

There's no evidence that its unique. It's highly likely that it's a very rare design, used only as a command ship for important operation, and it's possible that there's only one in existence, but to state categorically that it's unique unless proven (or even suggested) otherwise is pushing it too far.
All good points but we still only see one. Which means atleast one but the cost of such a ship would be massive. The Negh'var was a huge jump for the KE, let alone a ship several times that in size.
Neither were those fleets trying to get the stuffing kicked out of them, but that's what happened. In both cases the fleets in question had to concentrate all the firepower at their disposal to break through DS9s shields.
Fair point.
The fact that we're having this debate seems to suggest otherwise. Besides, it's a new "War of the Week" debate regardless of who the selected combattants are.
Right now we are talking about who would make a good war. When we have an answer then we can start a new thread.

If we want a mirror war. I would go with the mirror TOS, TE/RSE vs KE/CU.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

At that point hadn't the Terran Empire already fought a war with both the Klingons and Romulans, and won? Honestly I cant remember if I heard that from cannon or non cannon sources.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't believe we've ever heard of a war between any of the powers other then the TE had taken Bajor by that point.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What about the Federation vs the Terran Empire (TOS)......straight up and stand alone fight.