Just how did Voyager come up with the extra torps?

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

We all know that she ended up firing over twice as many as she was meant to have carried (that we've seen on screen - for all we know there were even more fired). So, did Janeway barter for alien weapons which were adapted to Voyager? Did they come up with a way to get around the reputed inability to replicate them - in which case we'd have yet another technological coup or Starfleet once Voyager got back home? Did they turn science probes into torps or jerry-rig them in some other way?

Naturally, the show is absolutely silent on this discrepancy...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just how did Voyager come up with the extra torps?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Best guess : It's long claimed (though not canonical) that warp coils can't be replicated. The TNG TM indicates that standard photons have a "warp sustainer", and we do know canonically that they can be used at warp speeds so they have either sustainers or full on warp coils. They therefore can't be replicated, justifying Chokatay's statement.

Somewhere along the line Voyager found an asteroid with a few tons of coil/sustainer material, or traded with some alien race for it. Or B'Elanna the genius engineer came up with some devilishly clever way of making coils/sustainers relatively quickly and easily. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. Canonical support for Voyager having that kind of capability comes from "Investigations" and this dialogue :

JANEWAY: The plasma burst irradiated the engine nacelles. The inner layer of the warp coils was burned away.
TORRES: Which means the warp engines are useless until we can rebuild them.
CHAKOTAY: They're made from a substance known as verterium cortenide. Do you know where we can find a source?
NEELIX: Verterium cortenide, if I'm not mistaken, that's a densified composite material.
TORRES: That's right. It's composed of polysilicate verterium and monocrystal cortenum.

So with this ability they were able to manufacture new torpedoes for themselves.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd buy that. The rest of a torp is pretty much avionics, M/AM bottles, and the casing, all of which SHOULD be replicat-able or able to be built be hand.

Or, Voyager being in extremis and all that, made do with torps without a warp sustainer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:I'd buy that. The rest of a torp is pretty much avionics, M/AM bottles, and the casing, all of which SHOULD be replicat-able or able to be built be hand.

Or, Voyager being in extremis and all that, made do with torps without a warp sustainer.
:::looking around nervously::::

Somebody better remind Janeway and Paris not to let the ship fly faster than the torps then. Even Janeway couldn't explain crashing into your own impule only torpedo :jester:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Why do you ask such silly questions?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because we like to point and laugh at the fact the writers can't remember something they wrote, yet thousands of fans can?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Because we like to point and laugh at the fact the writers can't remember something they wrote, yet thousands of fans can?
That's the crux of the problem that plagued some of VOY and a lot of early ENT - the clear division between "writer" and "fan."
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Because we like to point and laugh at the fact the writers can't remember something they wrote, yet thousands of fans can?
That isn't just a problem with Voyager, that's a problem in general. I remember some people(actors, writers, well known production crew) saying that fans will come up to them, and ask them something about a specific episode and not have any idea what the fan is talking about.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

While that is true Blackstar the Writers should never set such a limit if they then intend to ignore it. We are not just talking about a throwaway line but an exact and hard limit. If they were to make some mention say half way through the Season about somehow being able to do this now through trading for some piece of equipment which replicates the non-replicable parts then it wouldn't be such a big deal but they gave an exact amount along with the flat out statement they had no way to make more...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. I don't expect every member of the cast and writing staff to recall every single bit of trivia on a seven year show.
What I do expect them to remember, though, is specificaly stated and important pieces of information that actualy affects the show itself. Such as the number of torps. I mean, would it really have been that hard to just keep a piece of paper with the number of torps VOY had used scribbled on it?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Rochey wrote:Exactly. I don't expect every member of the cast and writing staff to recall every single bit of trivia on a seven year show.
What I do expect them to remember, though, is specificaly stated and important pieces of information that actualy affects the show itself. Such as the number of torps. I mean, would it really have been that hard to just keep a piece of paper with the number of torps VOY had used scribbled on it?
That was one of the things I liked about Babylon 5. JMS said that he had the "bible", a book explaining specific details regarding the series so messes like this would not happen.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

katefan wrote:That was one of the things I liked about Babylon 5. JMS said that he had the "bible", a book explaining specific details regarding the series so messes like this would not happen.
All series have one of those, to avoid bog-ups like Voyager's unending supply of torpedoes. The problem here is that either noone kept the bible up to date, or they simply didn't give a shit. Given B&B's self-confessed attitude to continuity I know what my money's on.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

me,myself and I wrote:
Why do you ask such silly questions?
Isn't it the whole point of this forum that we ask "silly questions" of one form or another? After all, we would appear to many outsiders to be taking a fictional world far too seriously, just by coming to this board!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Isn't it the whole point of this forum that we ask "silly questions" of one form or another? After all, we would appear to many outsiders to be taking a fictional world far too seriously, just by coming to this board!
It's definitely no more silly than memorising the stats of various sports teams and players. Or painting your self up and screaming like a lunatic at a game.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Or throwing octopi. But you guys do know that MM&I were being facetious, right? All those things may be silly, but that doesn't mean that they're not enjoyable.
as Bull offed Custer