Replicator Rations

Voyager
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Replicator Rations

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mark wrote:Yet, on the E-A they had a galley, and I would assume with a galley, a cook as well. Never understood why they had food despensors on the E-Nil, and a galley on the E-A
Very true, I forgot about that.

Maybe on the Nil they did have a Galley while what we saw was a very primitive 'replicator', the first time I personally remember seeing it was when Kirk was showing it to some other person, I think Charlie in Charlie X but its been so long, maybe he just wanted to show off...?
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

KuvahMagh wrote:
Mark wrote:Yet, on the E-A they had a galley, and I would assume with a galley, a cook as well. Never understood why they had food despensors on the E-Nil, and a galley on the E-A
Very true, I forgot about that.

Maybe on the Nil they did have a Galley while what we saw was a very primitive 'replicator', the first time I personally remember seeing it was when Kirk was showing it to some other person, I think Charlie in Charlie X but its been so long, maybe he just wanted to show off...?
I think the food despensors were more of a food delevery system, at least that was said by one of the guys in charge, I'm not sure who though.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think the food despensors were more of a food delevery system, at least that was said by one of the guys in charge, I'm not sure who though.
I'd agree if what was 'delivered' look like actual food, I suppose its possible that they used a low tech galley that just did the basic nutritional needs, gave them some flavor so that people would like them then used molds to make the cubes for simplicity but I personally find it hard to believe when a Modern Frigate has 2 Full Galleys, 2 Bars a canteen and has enough storage/logistical capability to rotate the menu, including steak & lobster on occasion...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I remember thinking once that the food dispensers were a kind of stasis machine. You know, the galley crew prepair a bunch of different choices, feed them into the machine, and then they are stored until asked for. That would explain how and why Kirk was able to "order" a chicken sandwich and coffee in "Trouble with Tribble" (even though all he got was a platefull of tribbles :lol: ) That would even explain how they and why they were in the food system.

But what tripped me up was when the Kelvans reduced the crew to those little crystal things. Kirk, Spock, Scott, and McCoy would have had the food still available in storage in the system, but who was supposed to cook after that? Oh, I forgot about McCoy's old family bean recipie.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Makes more sense than replicating tribbles.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:BTW.....isn't it true, if you have something to eat or drink in a holodeck, it is replicated in the holodeck? Otherwise, how would anyone eat or drink holographic food? Why not turn a holodeck into a galley four times a day then?
Doesn't all holodeck matter disintegrate one it leaves the holodeck? (unless it touches Picard - to whom holographic lipstick and snowballs stick to for hours).

Perhaps having a galley on a Starship is more of a traditional thing - real food is considered by some to be better then replicated food, and there's the social aspect of all eating together.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Doesn't all holodeck matter disintegrate one it leaves the holodeck? (unless it touches Picard - to whom holographic lipstick and snowballs stick to for hours).
Not to mention the somewhat damp Wesley, and Data's piece of paper in "Elementary, Dear Data". The rule for what gets replicated and what doesn't seems somewhat arbitrary.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Captain Seafort wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Doesn't all holodeck matter disintegrate one it leaves the holodeck? (unless it touches Picard - to whom holographic lipstick and snowballs stick to for hours).
Not to mention the somewhat damp Wesley, and Data's piece of paper in "Elementary, Dear Data". The rule for what gets replicated and what doesn't seems somewhat arbitrary.
My feeling has always been that simple objects are replicated permanently, while complex items are props. So snow/water, simple paper objects are "real" while a book is holo matter.

But the part about eating on the holodeck is a very, very good one. If people can eat or drink on the holodeck as we saw numerous times, then it makes sense to just use the holodecks as galleys. Holodecks using a "different" form of energy was just a crock. All ship's energy came from engineering. Otherwise considering how much the holodecks must be used they would have run out of holo power months into the trip.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

katefan wrote:My feeling has always been that simple objects are replicated permanently, while complex items are props. So snow/water, simple paper objects are "real" while a book is holo matter.
The problem with that is that a book was exactly what Picard used to demonstrate to Moriarty in "Ship in a Bottle" that holodeck items disappeared when they left the holodeck. An example I found rather odd, as the holodeck's emitters should still have had a direct line of sight to the book through the door, and Cyrus Redblock and his cronies only disappeared after they went round the corner.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
katefan wrote:My feeling has always been that simple objects are replicated permanently, while complex items are props. So snow/water, simple paper objects are "real" while a book is holo matter.
The problem with that is that a book was exactly what Picard used to demonstrate to Moriarty in "Ship in a Bottle" that holodeck items disappeared when they left the holodeck. An example I found rather odd, as the holodeck's emitters should still have had a direct line of sight to the book through the door, and Cyrus Redblock and his cronies only disappeared after they went round the corner.
Would have been pretty anti-climactic for Picard to demonstrate what happens after something leaves the holodeck had the book bounced off the wall and hit the floor, and only disappear when something moved between the book and an emitter. Funny as hell, but quite anti climactic :jester:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.