Replicator Rations

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Replicator Rations

Post by Mark »

Again, I've wondered about this. Were Replicator Rations even nessessary? How much power do replicators use? Couldn't rechargable solar powered batteries have been rigged to supply the power instead of taking power from the other systems? If energy conservation were truely the issue, wouldn't you assume that there are other options? Like turning off a freaking light when you leave a room? Shutting down an interface panal? I know that we have a couple of science buffs here who can help me out. Please tell me, are my assumptions wrong? Or are replicators likely too expensive in power to run?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Replicator Rations

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Again, I've wondered about this. Were Replicator Rations even nessessary? How much power do replicators use? Couldn't rechargable solar powered batteries have been rigged to supply the power instead of taking power from the other systems? If energy conservation were truely the issue, wouldn't you assume that there are other options? Like turning off a freaking light when you leave a room? Shutting down an interface panal? I know that we have a couple of science buffs here who can help me out. Please tell me, are my assumptions wrong? Or are replicators likely too expensive in power to run?
Once upon a time, Trek had hard rats for emergencies...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:Again, I've wondered about this. Were Replicator Rations even nessessary? How much power do replicators use? Couldn't rechargable solar powered batteries have been rigged to supply the power instead of taking power from the other systems? If energy conservation were truely the issue, wouldn't you assume that there are other options? Like turning off a freaking light when you leave a room? Shutting down an interface panal? I know that we have a couple of science buffs here who can help me out. Please tell me, are my assumptions wrong? Or are replicators likely too expensive in power to run?
Once upon a time, Trek had hard rats for emergencies...
Actually it was a hamster. Just look at the E-D's MSD :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

*rimshot*
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that rations exist at all, I'd say it's a fair bet that they take up a good bit of power to use.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I don't think it was the power so much as the generic material. If it is something special then they may not have come across new material for a while thus forcing them to conserve rather than run dry... The episode I remember where Chakotey replicates a pocket watch or something, even though he did it a while ago Janeway forces him to return it to the replicater supply mater thing, which would take even more energy so like I said I think it is the gerenic matter they are most concerned about.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But what would they use for the "bulk matter" in the first place? If the replicator can re-arrange matter at the sub-molecular level couldn't they use pretty much anything to restock there "bulk matter" supply? If they can take something like a pocket watch and reconstitute it as a food item, then couldn't they do the same with minerals and ore found on planets and asteroids, or even a debris field? Hell, just beam up some vegitation from a planet and the replicator will re-construct it as edible and useful. Or am I misunderstanding how replicators work?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I think you're misunderstanding - replicators can't rearrange matter at the subatomic level. The watch would probably be reduced to its consituent elements, but not below that, so its mass would be added to the raw materials available for any metal item that needed to be replicated.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:I think you're misunderstanding - replicators can't rearrange matter at the subatomic level. The watch would probably be reduced to its consituent elements, but not below that, so its mass would be added to the raw materials available for any metal item that needed to be replicated.
So, then the vegitation bit could work, if it's elements were rearranged?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:So, then the vegitation bit could work, if it's elements were rearranged?
Certainly - you'd simply need the right sort of base mass. In Voyager's specific case an on-board vegetable plot would be better, as it would be much more energy-efficient. Just so long as they actually do as they claim to do, and use air (or some other gas) in their aeroponics.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So then, for example, where would they get a base for say a Steak, or chicken? It would have to me from some sort of organic material, right?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mark wrote:So then, for example, where would they get a base for say a Steak, or chicken? It would have to me from some sort of organic material, right?
Dangit, Mark, Don't you know that everytime you bring real world physics into Star Trek a Tribble dies?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:So then, for example, where would they get a base for say a Steak, or chicken? It would have to me from some sort of organic material, right?
Correct - ideally I expect it would come from the animal in question, but the correct mix of elements should do it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:Dangit, Mark, Don't you know that everytime you bring real world physics into Star Trek a Tribble dies?
Good riddance to the furry pests. Besides, its a relief to have something that can be analysed with hard science for once.