Total votes: 14
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Our Ship - Torpedo Configuration

Post by Teaos »

Our Ship:

So far we have come to the decision to build a Federation Battleship based in the year 2390; it is of GCS and Sovereign size.

As a battleship it is going to be out fitted with 60cm ablative armour with a high density double hull. This reduced the final production run of the ship by six ships from the original twenty giving us a run of fourteen ships. It also drops its final speed by 12% and agility by 24%.

The shielding stands at 7 million Terra Joules shielding in a bubble shape running off an independent power supply. The bubble shields while weaker than form fitting shields have the added advantage of less maintenance and also have greater flexibility in battle, due to its simplicity it can shift power from one section to the other recharging damaged sections. The independent power supply offers greatly improved survivability as the shields are no longer attached to the core. It does however take up a larger percent of internal volume than other wise would have been used.

Our Beam weapons sit at 200,000 Terra Watts powered off the warp core, with a All Rounder configuration.

So far our internal volume space stands at:
24% warp core (Includes everything related to it such as work area ect) (Includes extra power for beam weapons)
7% Shield power unit.
10%< Cargo (At least, the more of this the longer it lasts)
Torpedo Tubes: 20% Final size
Proton Torpedo replicator: 2% Final size
15%< Crew (Thats the bare minimum, depending on the amount of crew and comfort it could go all the way up to 40%)
10%< Essential (Stuff like sickbays and one shuttle bay ect that we need, could go up with added facilities)
7% Phase Canon
Total: 95% minimum

I'll do a run down on the space used so far and how it effects the ship, I'll then give the size requirements for the torpedo tubes ect.

Warp core: Currently 24% internal volume. This could be as big as it gets but one of the future polls will be about speed. One of the factors will be that for every 1% volume we add to the core the faster the ship goes. So it could get bigger if we want to add some speed to our turtle.

Shield Power unit: 7%. Final size

Phase Lance: 7% Final size

Torpedo Tubes: 20% Final size

Proton Torpedo replicator: 2% Final size

Cargo (Includes replicator stock ect does not include weapons stock): 10% Minimum. For every percent this takes up the ship has one month of supplies. So it currently has ten month endurance under normal conditions.

Crew: 15% Minimum. That is the bare minimum needed to field our ship under current specs. It doesn't include any room for land forces. It also puts them on the lower end of comfort; bunking for crew men and shared room for everyone bellow Lt commander. The ship is also more automated this way. For every 1% more room given the automation of the ship goes down.

Essential: 10% Minimum. This covers the basic essential like a transporter a single sickbay and a basic shuttle bay. This will be the final poll we do, I've yet to make up suitable numbers for it but the more facilities we add the more it will cost in internal volume. Since this is the basics you are probably going to want to add at least another 3-4%.

Total 95% minimum.

Torpedo configuration:[/b]

Option 1

6 x type 2 burst fire,
2100 reload rounds

Option 2

2x rapid fire tubes
4x type 3 tubes,
800 torp stock

Option 3

3 rapid-fire tubes, all forward. (12%)
2 type-four tubes, one forward, one aft. (4%)
800 torpedoes

Option 4

2 x Rapid fire QT = 8%
[both forward facing]

2 X pulse fire PT/QT = 5%
[Both aft facing]

2 Type 3 burst fire PT = 3%
[one aft, one forward]

800 torpedoes = 4%

Option 5

3 x Rapid fire torpedo launchers
1600 Storage

Option 6

4 x Rapid fire torpedo launcher
800 torpedoes
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Our Ship - Torpedo Configuration

Post by Reliant121 »

Well my vote goes for 4. Not just because its mine, but i think it gives a good balance.

If i was to pick a different one, then it would be option 2 for me.

BTW, i can come up with a *very* basic top down pic for it like my Avatar. The Vexxiang ST Broken Mirror 2 starship creator is very easy XD.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well there are 3 polls left and one of them is ship configuration which will be the basic shape.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

fairy snuff. i've never really thought about the processes you need for the design :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When I first came up with this series of threads I didnt realise how complicated it would be.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeah i can imagine.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll go for four.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I went with three for the coverage and fire power.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:I went with three for the coverage and fire power.
Why, thanks, Teaos. :wink:

I've done the math. Even four rapid fire tubes can't equal the ROF of config three. And, there's something to be said for having the capability to spam out 24 torpedoes (fore) in your opening one-second volley. A bunch of extra torpedoes don't do much good if your ship is destroyed while they're still in the loading bay.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mine (4) was made for all-round fire power. with something this slow and bulky, its inevitable that something's gonna get behind, possible something big. having that level of fire power there give us some aft punch, but the forward armament is still bloody good.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, your aft coverage is better.

option 3 (average): 14.4 torps per second (fore), 2.4 per second (aft).

option 4 (average): 10 torps per second (fore), 4 per second (aft).

If we go by opening (one-second) volley...

option 3: 24 torpedoes (fore).

option 4: 18 torpedoes (fore).

Both are pretty awesome, IMO. Yours offers better aft coverage, though, which might really be more important on this monstrosity.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That was my intention. If you take Klingon and dominion attack strategy, most of they ships up to Vor'cha size make high speed passes firing everything they have, sweep over the top of the ship, and then come around for another pass. Our shields can withstand the attack, and then when we have the vulnerable aft shields to hit. BAM!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Not to mention that our forward armament is already pretty formidable... I'll have to mull it over, but I may end up changing my vote to your option.

EDIT: Ah, no vote changing, I see.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Sorry forgot to add the change vote option. You can change your vote now.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I thought so ^_^