The Moble emitter and the Temporal Police

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Moble emitter and the Temporal Police

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'm watching "Drone" right now, and this is the prime example of what I'm thinking about here:

Why do the temporal police allow a piece of 29th century technology to stay in the 24th Century?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Moble emitter and the Temporal Police

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because the writers require it to be so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Because the temporal police draw their staff from the same pool that produced Janeway?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ew, Janeway bred? :shock:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Harley Filben
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Harley Filben »

Do they even know about the mobile emitter? At the end of the episode where Doc gets the emitter the new Braxton doesn't even remember Janeway stating he never experienced "that" timeline. So it would seem that whenever you alter time you actually jump to another timeline which branches off from the point of alteration.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Harley Filben wrote:Do they even know about the mobile emitter? At the end of the episode where Doc gets the emitter the new Braxton doesn't even remember Janeway stating he never experienced "that" timeline. So it would seem that whenever you alter time you actually jump to another timeline which branches off from the point of alteration.
1) Braxton's shuttle should have detected the emitter then - he was right in front of Voyager

2) He was able to detect Voyager out of time in a different timeline, so apparently the temporal police can distinguish different timelines.

Besides, if the Temporal Police couldn't look into different timelines, but these exist due to time travel, their existence would be pointless (which takes us back to the original topic, of course...)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If Voyager prevented the accident in the first place, then Braxton never would have had a reason to come after them, and they never would have ended up in the past, never would have gotten the emitter, and never stopped the accident. But if they didn't stop the acciedent then Braxton would come and try to destory them, thus tossing them back in time, where they found the emitter, and then prevented the accident.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I hate temporal mechanics :madashell:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ouch, my brain!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This is why I almost always stay away from time travel in my stories. It's hard to have it make any sense at all.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:This is why I almost always stay away from time travel in my stories. It's hard to have it make any sense at all.
Hence, Trek uses it all the time :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hey, who needs sense when you can make dollars? :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Which is why, after watching Enterprise and their temporal cold war bit, I felt I needed a drink. (Not so good for someone on the wagon, but it illustrates my point)

Incidentlay, I think I read on Wikipedia that it was suggested that Data was the Captain of the E-J. (don't even want to try and figure out the reasoning behind that one) :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is a proper explanation for this.

The temporal polices job is not to preserve the natural time line but the prefered time line.

With out the emitter Voyager might not have ever made it home and with out them getting home the Borg would have never been crippled ect ect.

Leaving that one little bit of tech helped a lot with out massive changed to the time line.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Teaos wrote:There is a proper explanation for this.

The temporal polices job is not to preserve the natural time line but the prefered time line.

With out the emitter Voyager might not have ever made it home and with out them getting home the Borg would have never been crippled ect ect.

Leaving that one little bit of tech helped a lot with out massive changed to the time line.
But how vital was the emitter really in getting Voyager home?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

With out it the doctor couldnt have become the emergency command hologram and heloed out when he did.

Along with the other times he saved the day.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.