Total votes: 15
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Our Ship - Beam Configuration

Post by Teaos »

Our Ship:

So far we have come to the decision to build a Federation Battleship based in the year 2390; it is of GCS and Sovereign size.

As a battleship it is going to be out fitted with 60cm ablative armour with a high density double hull. This reduced the final production run of the ship by six ships from the original twenty giving us a run of fourteen ships. It also drops its final speed by 12% and agility by 24%.

The shielding stands at 7 million Terra Joules shielding in a bubble shape running off an independent power supply. The bubble shields while weaker than form fitting shields have the added advantage of less maintenance and also have greater flexibility in battle, due to its simplicity it can shift power from one section to the other recharging damaged sections. The independent power supply offers greatly improved survivability as the shields are no longer attached to the core. It does however take up a larger percent of internal volume than other wise would have been used.

Our Beam weapons sit at 200,000 Terra Watts powered off the warp core.

So far our internal volume space stands at :[/b]
24% warp core (Includes everything related to it such as work area ect) (Includes extra power for beam weapons)
7% Shield power unit.
10%< Cargo (At least, the more of this the longer it lasts)
15%< Crew (Thats the bare minimum, depending on the amount of crew and comfort it could go all the way up to 40%)
10%< Essential (Stuff like sickbays and one shuttle bay ect that we need, could go up with added facilities)
Total:66% minimum

Configuration:

All rounder

This configuration is intended to have a well balanced mixture of heavy and accurate weapons coverage.

1 x Phase Lance 70,000 Terra Watts (7% internal volume)

This will be mounted right down the main body of the ship with the barrel sitting close to the top of the saucer.

It is used for anti-station and anti-emplacement destruction, due to its size it is not really suited to attacking ship unless they are equally big and slow as the whole ship has to move to aim the gun and our ship is not very agile.

The presence of the big gun up front will discourage the enemy sending their battleships for a head on assault thus breaking up fleet lines.

5 x Rapid fire pulse fire canons (Turret mounted) 75,000 Terra Watts

These weapons are to pound away at the shielding and hulls of enemy ships who come in close to attack avoiding the Lance. Due to their poor aiming they are best suited for knocking out the shields of Frigates and Destroyers.

I would mount two of these weapons on the under side of the hull on opposite sides to provide cover for the under side of the ship and provide covering fire for our nacelles should enemy ships try to come at them from the bottom. The guns would be set so the firing arc is along the length of the ship offering maximum coverage.

The second set will be placed on the forward section of the saucer to knock out advancing ships. These guns would be placed so the arc is along the horizontal thus covering the front and sides on the ship.

The final one would be placed on the backside of the saucer to provide cover for the back of the ship, This would be placed so the arc is along the horizontal so as to attack ship attacking from behind.

Being mounted in turrets offers greater firing arc but at the cost of protection, they rely on the ships formidable shielding to protect them.

7 x Type XII Phaser arrays. 52,500 Terra Watts

One will be placed on either side of the back of the ship proving a full firing arc of both sides of the ship.

Two more will be on the under side one forward and one back to cover the under side.

Another two will be on the forward saucer on either side providing forward, side, and top firing cover,

The final one will be paced high on the back of the saucer covering the back of the ship.

1 x Type VIII 1,500 Terra Watts

Placed on the top of the saucer it cover the front and top of the saucer section.

Anti-fleet

10 x Rapid fire pulse canon turret mounted 150,000 Terra Watts

Positioned with four on the forward dorsal surface of the saucer to rip through enemy shields, two on the ventral forward saucer section, two on the back of the upper saucer section covering the back and the last two on the bottom of the ship facing back covering the bottom of the ship.

The high number of these guns coupled with the fast firing rate will be able to rip through even the strongest shielding. With six forward facing canons they are capable of through out a wall of phaser bolts knocking any size of ship. The other phasers offer coverage for the back and underside of the ship finishing off any ships that may make it past the forward canons.

6 x Type XII phaser arrays 45,000 Terra Watts

Two placed on the forward ventral saucer, two on the ventral forward saucer, one on the back ventral saucer with the final one on the back ventral of the saucer.

This provides coverage to the whole ship while still focusing the most fire power to the front of the ship to rip through the enemy lines allowing support vessels to pick off weaker targets as the heavy guns take down the capital ships.

This configuration is more suited for fleet actions as it can rip through enemy shields like a hammer with the multiple canons while the type XII's can cut through the hulls and smaller craft. The majority of the fire power is focus forward with only cover fire else where.

Heavy hitter

2 x Phase Lance 140,000 Terra Watts (14% internal volume)

Both placed half way up the saucer section these forward facing lances are able to rip through the shielding and armour of any stationary object and possibly slow moving ships.

This provides massive forward fire power and the ability to smash through enemy defences.

8 x Type XII Phaser arrays 60,000 Terra Watts

Placed evenly across the hull with two on the forward ventral and another pair on the ventral hull. The other four are positioned on the rear of the ship to provide full weapons cover of the ship.

While the whole ship is covered with this configuration it is weaker in coverage than other and susceptible to attacks from multiple angles and targets.

Slash and burn

26 x Type XII Phaser Arrays 195,000 Terra Watts

Positioned across the entire hull for maximum coverage and intersecting firing arcs this configuration is intended to slash through enemy lines.

The forward facing hull has a majority of the weaponry so as to cut into advancing enemy formations and tear through the lines.

Balanced

6 x Turret mounted Rapid fire pulse canons. 90,000 Terra Watts

Four forward facing on the ventral hull and two on the dorsal this is to help bring down the shielding on enemy vessels to allow the phaser arrays to cut into the ships.

14 x Type XII Phaser arrays 105,000 Terra Watts

Placed across the hull for full coverage but with fire power focused forward to take advantage of the canons ripping into enemy shielding.
Last edited by Teaos on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Our Ship - Beam Configuration

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the balanced option is the best. The pulse mounted cannons unleash plenty of firepower by themselves, and the type XII phaser arrays give a good area coverage. I think the Phase lance would be pushing the internal volume and the warp core a bit much.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I agree that we should forgo the Phase lance in favour of the canons due to the internal volume issue and lack of weapons coverage.

I'm voting for the anti fleet option however since I feel the canons bring down shields faster and would do a better job at fleet combat and against heavy starships which is the goal of this ship.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This design, much like the Sovereign isnt going to be in battle for ever. it will have to do other options occasionally. The Beam phasers provide more functionality.

that was my second option though ;)

BTW: The last day of school is pointless.i just spend loads of time on the pc doing bog all.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The anti-fleet still has a good amount of phasers for other uses. But since this is a purpose built Battleship it wont be doing those random missions we see the Enterprises do. It is doing its job by sitting on the boarder and scaring the crap out of everyone.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Fair enough.
Still think the balanced option is better. no reason, just do.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well it does seem to be winning. Both are pretty much the same anyway, just a different ratio of canons to arrays.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the main concern for me between the two is the power output now the tactical aspects have been debated. and they both have an equal power output, so i'm content with either.

Just an idea to bounce around...maybe the Daystrome gets seriously damaged at some point. Then we could get ourselves a promotion to this ship?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Daystrom is seriously damaged :P it has no bridge and has lost the top few decks along with other damage.

We can see what people think about changing ships.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

By serious i meant, warp core almost overloaded, nacelles blown out, deflector barely functioning.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... I met get a bit maudlin - I've becaome a little attached to that tough little torpedo boat...

Anyway, I went for the all-around. I certainly didn't want more than one lance, but since there is a good chance that this thing will be sent to take out the Dom battleship equivalent of the enemy fleet - or a shipyard or some such - I like the idea of having one for that purpose.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think we will destroy the Daystrom outright. But since the Daystrom is the most active and crewed of the RP's we could just form it into a permanent strike group with both the Daystrom and this ship along with other randoms. More stuff for people to do with more ships. Hell we could send it into the GQ on a mission into the Dominion. But thats a topic for the Daystrom forum.

But on topic, yeah the idea of the Lance is certainly appealing but with it taking up 7% volume it is going to hit us hard when we do torpedoes next.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Personally, i would have the non-lance phaser configuration but have a couple of pulse fire quantum torpedo launchers.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Thats pretty much the trade off.

There are a lot of things to keep in mind here.

*Internal Volume
*Aiming the Lance (We have a slow, sluggish ship)
*Weapons coverage
*What the extra space could be used for

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The biggest factor for me was the aiming. Considering the phaser lance is a single emitter, pointing in a pretty small arc, attaching it to a wallowing walrus of a ship would make it only effective in a small selection of situations.