Quantum Torpedoes

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Quantum Torpedoes

Post by Mark »

You know, something about Quantum Torpedoes has always bothered me. They are "supposed" to be more powerful than the standard photon torpedo, yet the casings look identical. The Lakota was upgraded to carry them, and the Excelsior class is one of the oldest still being fielded by Starfleet. Wouldn't you think they would upgrade as many other ships as they could to use these things? How hard could it be?

Plus, I've seen ALOT of speculation over the benifets of the Quantum Torpedo vs the Photon Torpedo, everything from being more effective against shields to being a "safer" alternative that won't accidentally detonate in the tube. Does anybody actually have any hard info? If it is more powerful, how much more, and if so, why are they still using photons? Each must have some different kind of benifet I suppose.

Sorry, I'm rambleing :bounce:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Re: Quantum Torpedoes

Post by Thorin »

The TM says the quantums are about 2.5 times more powerful than the photons, and that they're not replicitable, meaning photons must still be employed. That's not canon but it's the best explanation I've heard.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Likely a cost/resources factor is involved. Sure you can refit the ship but is it worth it to refit all of your ships. Even with new builds like the Sovereign it still relies almost totally on Photons. It isn't until you start getting into the Pure Warship area where you see full load out Quantums, ie the Defiant and Prometheus, both of which are new. Lakota was likely a one off refit given what it was meant to do in the episode, mainly protect the take over until it could be completed.

As to Cannon Strength figures, so far as I know they don't exist.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

*in before Deeps rant*

Yeah I always thought they were harder to make so while you could upgrade ships to fire them you couldnt stock them.

As for why they are better, like you have said its been covered a lot.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They're better because they're blue. End of story. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

KuvahMagh wrote:ie the Defiant and Prometheus, both of which are new.
The Promethues had photons as well.

And, of course, they're better because you know... quantum.
...Rather than photon...
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Thorin wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:ie the Defiant and Prometheus, both of which are new.
The Promethues had photons as well.

And, of course, they're better because you know... quantum.
...Rather than photon...
Are you sure, according to DITL it uses Quantums and while I haven't seen the episode in a while I don't remember there being any Photons.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

KuvahMagh wrote:Are you sure, according to DITL it uses Quantums and while I haven't seen the episode in a while I don't remember there being any Photons.
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFMgDVGaos

At about 2:00 they fire a photon, which accidentally hits one of the Defiants.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I stand corrected...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've yet to see anything to suggest quantum torpedoes are anything other than photons set to 'blue'.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've yet to see anything to suggest quantum torpedoes are anything other than photons set to 'blue'.
Well 4 of them were enough to destroy a borg sphere, so I guess they're more powerful or something.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
Rochey wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've yet to see anything to suggest quantum torpedoes are anything other than photons set to 'blue'.
Well 4 of them were enough to destroy a borg sphere, so I guess they're more powerful or something.
As compared to a unknown number of photon torpedos to destroy a borg sphere. Besides the fact there is no comparison, the Borg Sphere was clearly weakened from both the Cube's destruction (it took out an Akira) and the temporal vortex, which probably, like the E-E, took out its shields. Not that I disagree that quantum's are more powerful - them being on the only flagship and only warship, but there isn't any quasi-concrete evidence to support it. So I - personally - just go along with the TM in this case.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I suppose you could also compare it to the two types of nukes there are. The older more primitive type that has an upper limit to how big it can be built, and the newer more powerful typre that to my knowledge has no upper limit.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And? We have no idea of how well shielded that sphere was, if at all. We have no idea if the sphere was damaged by the battle earlier. We have no idea how four photorps would do in that situation.
So, basicaly, that incident is useless for gauging firepower.

For the sake of argument, I go along with the TM's number and assume they're more powerful. That makes sense. I'm just pointing out that we've never seen anything in the show itself to suggest it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thorin wrote:The TM says the quantums are about 2.5 times more powerful than the photons, and that they're not replicitable, meaning photons must still be employed. That's not canon but it's the best explanation I've heard.
Given the lack of evidence on screen for a bigger bang, I think it would be more precise to say that they're more effective than PTs. There'd be no point in having them if they didn't confer some sort of advantage, and they obviously aren't easier to produce as we still see PTs far more frequently. My preferred theory is that they've got some kind of tunnelling warhead, or a shaped charge, given that the QTs we've seen only appear visible due to their effect on the target, rather than the explosion itself.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.