Our Ship - Armour

How much armour will our ship have?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am

10cm (-2% speed, -4% movement, -1 ship production)
No votes
20cm (-4% speed, -8% movement, -2 ship production)
13%
30cm (-6% speed, -12% movement, -3 ship production)
9%
40cm (-8% speed, -16% movement, -4 ship production)
6%
50cm (-10% speed, -20% movement, -5 ship production)
No votes
60cm (-12% speed, -24% movement, -6 ship production)
19%
61cm< ...
No votes
Traditional armour
3%
Ablative armour
34%
Mixture (Specify)
16%

Total votes: 32
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Our Ship - Armour

Post by Teaos »

Fortunately, my wife kept some pics of me in DEU's. The first two are chopped cause my wife didn't want my ex in the picture
I dont know what was funnier, the above statement or the picture :lol: :lol: :lol:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:
I dont know what was funnier, the above statement or the picture :lol: :lol: :lol:
They are bad aren't they. :lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:OK, I just skipped over most of the BS going on in here, but let me just address this:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:What evidence is there that it was a multi-role explorer. The only times we've seen a Sov was in battle.
Really? I think the only times we've seen the Sov was in FC, Insurrection, and Nemesis.
- FC: opened the film patrolling the COMPLETELY QUIET Fed side of teh Neutral Zone, cataloging space dust and comets.
- Insurrection: opened the film on an ambassadorial mission, welcoming a new species to the UFP, while her ops officer was away on an anthropological study.
- Nemesis: called to Romulus on what was supposedly an ambassadorial/diplomatic mission.

If I'm counting right, that's three for three.
So it also participates in diplomatic and patrol missions. It wouldn't be the first warship in history used for such a purpose. And it's not uncommon for Military vessels to map the sea floor on a regular basis, with is similar to E-E's cataloging space dust and comets.

Oh, and Kendall, you're a jackass.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ok I probably should have done this at the start but I only had this half planned in my head and I still have to work out the finer details of each point. Since I wanted this to be realistic I am going to try to have each point and each choice have its pros and cons. What is going to make this ship different to all other fanboy wet dream battleships is that this one will be designed with in a tight set of design parameters.
We started off with size/roll. A large size ship won the poll and the battleship won the debate. The pros and cons of each choice was the production run of the ships.
Next we had armour. The pros and cons are movement/speed/production run.
Then we will have shields. This will both be the type of shield (Bubble or form fitting) as well the power being funneled into them. The pros will obviously be protection while the cons wont be obvious until latter when we have to build our power units.
Speed, this will be what the ship would be capable of before we add all of our handy caps on. Since this we depends on the power supply latter, the faster the ship goes the more power it will need. The faster it goes will also increase the size of the nacelles increasing its vulnerability.
Beam weapons. This will be two parts. A short 2 day poll to decide the amount of power we want to use for the beam weapons and a longer 5 day poll for how we will use it.

The amount used will have a latter impact on the power supply of the ship. If we have vastly powerful shields and beam weapons the power supply will be huge and leave us less room for other things.

The latter poll will have figures for each type of beam weapon. So you can either have a larger number of type X's for better coverage or fewer type XII's. Since it is in 2390 I am also thinking of giving an option for a AGT phase lance which would suck up huge amounts of power (Like 5 or 6 type XII's)
Next we have the type/how many/power of the ships power unit. This will be done by adding together the power needed more our shields, warp speed, running of the ship such as transporters/tractor beam/life support and other general cr*p (A generic number I will make up that sounds fair) and the Beam weapon power.

Once we have the figure needed we will decide the type of power supply we will have (warp core, fussion) and how many (If we want multiple power units so each key feature has its own (Such as weapons, warp speed, life support)

The pros and cons of each choice will be the internal volume taken up by each, maintenance will also change with each option. Multiple units will take more work and crew while fusion takes less effort than a warp core.
Torpedo fire. This will be done by deciding on the amount of internal volume we are willing to dedicate to it then diving it up between the different types of launchers and the type of torpedo. Also the stock pile.
Lay out of ship. This is for the general shape of the ship. Since we are building for Starfleet it has to have a Federation look to it and has to be built with in in-universe rules (Two nacelles, the nacelles have to be on out side of the ship ect) I will give several options here such as pulling the nacelles in closer to the ship. This will protect them better but it will trade off with lower speed. We will also hit things like bridge placement any the size and luxury of crew quarters. Most of this will get covered in the debate not the poll since it is impossible to give all the options. Then there is also a matter of shuttlebays and transporters ect. I may just make a random thread at the end for all that sort of stuff.
Ok so what do you think?

Is there more polls we should do for things I have over looked or maybe change the order I do things.

There are things like sensors and Deeps idea for making it a fleet command ship which need to be considered, but I think I will just make a topic for things like that at the end and we can debate the points and see that we think since it isnt really a poll type question.

Once we're done I'm planning on drawing up real blue print for it but I don't know how to do 3d design so unless someone else can do that we;ll be stuck with a bunch of blue prints and the full write up I will do for it with all the points we have. Hopefully the best designed ship seen since... well I dont think a ship has been designed properly in trek history.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I take it that means you have no info on your "course" to provide or that you have no actual rebuttal to the points presented to you in this thread?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I take it that means you have no info on your "course" to provide or that you have no actual rebuttal to the points presented to you in this thread?
Actually I was refering to your little 'treat' picture. It proved which one of us is immature.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Proves who is the king of the lulz.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Actually I was refering to your little 'treat' picture. It proved which one of us is immature.
Thanks for the concession.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It also proves who's right.

EDIT: in response to Kendall's picture.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Thanks for the concession.
What concession? Oh, and I'll be waiting for your apology
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
What concession?
On the issues under debate: your "credentials", military brainwashing and all the other issues you've dodged in this thread.
Oh, and I'll be waiting for your apology
Apologise for what?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not to put this on topic or anything but does anyone have any thoughts on the future poll options for this ship?

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Not to put this on topic or anything but does anyone have any thoughts on the future poll options for this ship?
Well seeing as Mr. Incredible isn't going to support his arguments, we may as well move on.

Possible future poll options: warp speed limitations, weapons emplacements, sensor packages, shuttle loadout, cargo capacity, C3 capabilities, endurance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What concession?
Perhaps on virtualy every point you brought up and then abandoned in this thread?
Oh, and I'll be waiting for your apology
There's absolutely no reason for him to apologise.
You, on the other hand, could do with apologising to him for your behaviour.

Teaos:
The suggestions you made earlier are good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Teaos wrote:Ok I probably should have done this at the start but I only had this half planned in my head and I still have to work out the finer details of each point. Since I wanted this to be realistic I am going to try to have each point and each choice have its pros and cons. What is going to make this ship different to all other fanboy wet dream battleships is that this one will be designed with in a tight set of design parameters.
We started off with size/roll. A large size ship won the poll and the battleship won the debate. The pros and cons of each choice was the production run of the ships.
Next we had armour. The pros and cons are movement/speed/production run.
Then we will have shields. This will both be the type of shield (Bubble or form fitting) as well the power being funneled into them. The pros will obviously be protection while the cons wont be obvious until latter when we have to build our power units.
Speed, this will be what the ship would be capable of before we add all of our handy caps on. Since this we depends on the power supply latter, the faster the ship goes the more power it will need. The faster it goes will also increase the size of the nacelles increasing its vulnerability.
Beam weapons. This will be two parts. A short 2 day poll to decide the amount of power we want to use for the beam weapons and a longer 5 day poll for how we will use it.

The amount used will have a latter impact on the power supply of the ship. If we have vastly powerful shields and beam weapons the power supply will be huge and leave us less room for other things.

The latter poll will have figures for each type of beam weapon. So you can either have a larger number of type X's for better coverage or fewer type XII's. Since it is in 2390 I am also thinking of giving an option for a AGT phase lance which would suck up huge amounts of power (Like 5 or 6 type XII's)
Next we have the type/how many/power of the ships power unit. This will be done by adding together the power needed more our shields, warp speed, running of the ship such as transporters/tractor beam/life support and other general cr*p (A generic number I will make up that sounds fair) and the Beam weapon power.

Once we have the figure needed we will decide the type of power supply we will have (warp core, fussion) and how many (If we want multiple power units so each key feature has its own (Such as weapons, warp speed, life support)

The pros and cons of each choice will be the internal volume taken up by each, maintenance will also change with each option. Multiple units will take more work and crew while fusion takes less effort than a warp core.
Torpedo fire. This will be done by deciding on the amount of internal volume we are willing to dedicate to it then diving it up between the different types of launchers and the type of torpedo. Also the stock pile.
Lay out of ship. This is for the general shape of the ship. Since we are building for Starfleet it has to have a Federation look to it and has to be built with in in-universe rules (Two nacelles, the nacelles have to be on out side of the ship ect) I will give several options here such as pulling the nacelles in closer to the ship. This will protect them better but it will trade off with lower speed. We will also hit things like bridge placement any the size and luxury of crew quarters. Most of this will get covered in the debate not the poll since it is impossible to give all the options. Then there is also a matter of shuttlebays and transporters ect. I may just make a random thread at the end for all that sort of stuff.
Ok so what do you think?

Is there more polls we should do for things I have over looked or maybe change the order I do things.

There are things like sensors and Deeps idea for making it a fleet command ship which need to be considered, but I think I will just make a topic for things like that at the end and we can debate the points and see that we think since it isnt really a poll type question.

Once we're done I'm planning on drawing up real blue print for it but I don't know how to do 3d design so unless someone else can do that we;ll be stuck with a bunch of blue prints and the full write up I will do for it with all the points we have. Hopefully the best designed ship seen since... well I dont think a ship has been designed properly in trek history.
How abaut if shields, phasers and torpedo lunchers would all be tied in to the power supply. That we first detrmin how much power do we have avalible and than we split it up among these system. I like your Idea with phasers that with t12 we get pore covarage. Maybe we should also consider putting ppc on. For TT maybe a nice twist would be that smaller tubes use more power to get the same number of torpedos out. For example a single gsc TT wich can shoot 10 T and would use something like 60% or 70% of power that you would need to run 10 single shots.

For the powersupplay well ships only have one WC. We can't just go around that, like putting 2 or 3 in and say that each powers its own system. Its not how its done in the show. Its a littel diffrently with FG, but I belive that their power is set at 4.2GW (Data said that the FG that they were transporting could power a small phaser bank, if I got the number wrong anyone can give the right one.)