Our Ship - Armour

How much armour will our ship have?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am

10cm (-2% speed, -4% movement, -1 ship production)
No votes
20cm (-4% speed, -8% movement, -2 ship production)
13%
30cm (-6% speed, -12% movement, -3 ship production)
9%
40cm (-8% speed, -16% movement, -4 ship production)
6%
50cm (-10% speed, -20% movement, -5 ship production)
No votes
60cm (-12% speed, -24% movement, -6 ship production)
19%
61cm< ...
No votes
Traditional armour
3%
Ablative armour
34%
Mixture (Specify)
16%

Total votes: 32
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Our Ship - Armour

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:If I can 611-RT this thread, I'd like to reiterate that the Federation has no known dedicated battleship. Even the Sov was designed as a multi-role explorer type, albeit heavily armed. Something big and mean to stand up to any future Scimitar, Dominion Battleship, Borg Cube, or large fleet incursions against high-value planets seems to be warranted. During the Dominion War, the capture of Betazed by the Dominion put them in a position to attack Vulcan, Andoria, and Earth IIRC.
I agree, if the UFP plans to maintain its power and avoid and near time would be wars they will need a line breaker ship of sorts to match the Dominion Battleship, Scimitar, Borg or take enemy planets without taking to high of a loss.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:Oh for god sake Blackstar give it up.

He's obviously who he says he is. If you honestly think he's lying than you truely are a moron (and I useually dont throw insults around here) but if your using that arguement as a cover for wanting to avoid the topic at hand... stop, your coming across as a right arsehole.
He was an asshole to me first. I'm just returning the favour. And it would probably take a weekend to fake service in a military force. As a programmer I know a thing or two about faking things.
If I can 611-RT this thread, I'd like to reiterate that the Federation has no known dedicated battleship. Even the Sov was designed as a multi-role explorer type, albeit heavily armed
What evidence is there that it was a multi-role explorer. The only times we've seen a Sov was in battle.
Deepcrush wrote:*snip*
Were you always an asshole or did that develop while you were gone? I honestly don't remember
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

He was an asshole to me first. I'm just returning the favour.
You're not just returning the favor but continuing onto other people without reason or need.
What evidence is there that it was a multi-role explorer. The only times we've seen a Sov was in battle.
Fair point,
Were you always an asshole or did that develop while you were gone? I honestly don't remember
Worse I believe as I'm in a very good mood today. Saw Hellboy 2 and Hancock, pigged out on food and milkshakes and spent time with my family. But to know for sure you'd have to ask Seafort as most of the spats I've been in were with him. It almost hurts that you've forgotten about me.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:If I can 611-RT this thread, I'd like to reiterate that the Federation has no known dedicated battleship. Even the Sov was designed as a multi-role explorer type, albeit heavily armed. Something big and mean to stand up to any future Scimitar, Dominion Battleship, Borg Cube, or large fleet incursions against high-value planets seems to be warranted. During the Dominion War, the capture of Betazed by the Dominion put them in a position to attack Vulcan, Andoria, and Earth IIRC.
I agree, if the UFP plans to maintain its power and avoid and near time would be wars they will need a line breaker ship of sorts to match the Dominion Battleship, Scimitar, Borg or take enemy planets without taking to high of a loss.
Exactly. The Sov may be powerful, but I don't see it being an even match for a Dominion Battleship, given how easily the Valiant went down.

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
If I can 611-RT this thread, I'd like to reiterate that the Federation has no known dedicated battleship. Even the Sov was designed as a multi-role explorer type, albeit heavily armed
Why would Picard and co. accept command of a pure warship, and then bemoan the fact that they haven't been able to do any exploring thanks to the war? I guess there is no evidence I can think of that it is an explorer, but if it was meant to be a battleship, it's severely undergunned. The Sona almost destroyed it, and the Scimitar could've destroyed it at any time. Plus, if it were a battleship, why wasn't it used on the front lines during the war?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

What kind of design would fit in SF and still be a battleship though? The AGT-ED was the closest thing we've seen to a UFP battleship. But, if it remained close to the E-D then it had little armor, fair shields and just one hell of a phaser output. Thats still not a battleship, its a battle cruiser.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Deepcrush wrote: Worse I believe as I'm in a very good mood today. Saw Hellboy 2 and Hancock, pigged out on food and milkshakes and spent time with my family. But to know for sure you'd have to ask Seafort as most of the spats I've been in were with him. It almost hurts that you've forgotten about me.
I get the vague feeling I disliked you for some reason but I don't know why. Did we used to argue a lot?
Why would Picard and co. accept command of a pure warship, and then bemoan the fact that they haven't been able to do any exploring thanks to the war? I guess there is no evidence I can think of that it is an explorer, but if it was meant to be a battleship, it's severely undergunned. The Sona almost destroyed it, and the Scimitar could've destroyed it at any time. Plus, if it were a battleship, why wasn't it used on the front lines during the war?
Picard and co. wouldn't have a choice if they were ordered to. The Sona had a two to one advantage on their home turf and the advantage of illigal weapons. The Scimitar was just flat out armed to the teeth. And just because we didn't see it on the front that DS9 was doesn't mean they weren't fighting on another front. And I'd hardly call 16 or so phaser arrays 8 photon tubes and a rapid fire quantum torpedo launcher is hardly undergunned
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If I can 611-RT this thread, I'd like to reiterate that the Federation has no known dedicated battleship. Even the Sov was designed as a multi-role explorer type, albeit heavily armed. Something big and mean to stand up to any future Scimitar, Dominion Battleship, Borg Cube, or large fleet incursions against high-value planets seems to be warranted. During the Dominion War, the capture of Betazed by the Dominion put them in a position to attack Vulcan, Andoria, and Earth IIRC.
Well at the moment this ship has a production run of 14 ships so it can only really be used as a deterant.

From the numbers we heard in DS9 its pretty much one of these ships per operational fleet.

And I would argue that the Sov was more of a cruiser than a explorer.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

For the record, I voted for the "massive" size on the other thread, as I'm thinking something along the lines of a mobile fortress. Battleship works for me though.

I agree that the next thread should be on armament/shields.

Then initial warp speed/manuverability reduced by the choices we made in these threads.

Then, I guess we can do power sources, or paint scheme, or whatever.

Blackstar - it was undergunned in the sense that it couldn't match two Sona ships or the Scimitar; if it weren't for plot-convenient circumstances in both battles, it would've been destroyed. And, the Sona werent even a major power.

I'm thinking of something that can carve an enemy line in two leading a charge at an enemy fleet, or hold off a small fleet alone in an important system. Something that would make anyone think twice, then think again before launching any attack on important Federation systems.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
You should be the one providing the material, not asking me to do your dirty work.
Fortunately, my wife kept some pics of me in DEU's. The first two are chopped cause my wife didn't want my ex in the picture.

An old pic in uniform

Another

Basic

Good thing I kept my PT shirt huh?

The last four were taken just now by my wife, in the old sweatshirt form my Basic Course that was in the basement.

Look under 2 Section, left column fifth from the bottom. See the name?

The card from Donny's service:

A special treat just for you.

Edit: Oh and here is The Facebook page, like Tsu I wouldn't be using my real name if I wanted to hide anything. Nor would I have concotced a story about being a mentally disabled cripple.

Frankly if this doesn't satisfy you than you can go bugger yourself, seeing as military personnel records are protected info until the member dies your not going to get anything off the net.
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I get the vague feeling I disliked you for some reason but I don't know why. Did we used to argue a lot?
I don't think so. Until today I haven't had a reason to dislike you.
Well at the moment this ship has a production run of 14 ships so it can only really be used as a deterant.

From the numbers we heard in DS9 its pretty much one of these ships per operational fleet.
Then this should also be a command ship as well as a battleship. Maybe something close to the NBSG, minus the fighter wings and a lot of heavy guns.

60cm of ablative armour, high grade SIFs, heavy D/T double hull and at least 6 million TJ on the shields.
That puts us at 9400 rating on Hull/armour and 2222 rating on sheilds.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:[

Then this should also be a command ship as well as a battleship. Maybe something close to the NBSG, minus the fighter wings and a lot of heavy guns.
I'm with you on this, may as well have actual facilities to run a fleet and battle in her.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

OK, I just skipped over most of the BS going on in here, but let me just address this:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:What evidence is there that it was a multi-role explorer. The only times we've seen a Sov was in battle.
Really? I think the only times we've seen the Sov was in FC, Insurrection, and Nemesis.
- FC: opened the film patrolling the COMPLETELY QUIET Fed side of teh Neutral Zone, cataloging space dust and comets.
- Insurrection: opened the film on an ambassadorial mission, welcoming a new species to the UFP, while her ops officer was away on an anthropological study.
- Nemesis: called to Romulus on what was supposedly an ambassadorial/diplomatic mission.

If I'm counting right, that's three for three.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...A special treat just for you....
:laughroll:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:...A special treat just for you....
:laughroll:
I shall second this...

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol: Nice one, Kendall. :lol:

Of course, later today Blackstar will come back about how easy it is to photoshop those images and other BS. :roll:

But since this pointless argument is over, can we please get back to the designing of our battleship?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"