DW 30x13: Journey's End

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DW 30x13: Journey's End

Post by Captain Seafort »

Here we go then. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: DW 30x13: Journey's End

Post by kostmayer »

1. Gah, 3 cop outs, but I'm glad Torchwood and Sarah Jane survived. Gwen, Inato and Sarah Jane are hot - yes, I said Inato and Sarah Jane.
2. Donna is also cute. How did that happen? Fancying Billie is bad enough, is this some gift from the Daleks.
3. Flying Daleks aren't scary. They were much more intimidating driving round like Dodgem Cars in Genesis of the Daleks.
4. If Davros was gonna destroy the Universe, it should be with a virus, and he should have got the idea from Tom Baker's Doctor.
5. The Doctor doesn't need Davros to tell him that dead people follow in his wake, that school teacher Joan did it to much better effect in The Family of Blood. It means more when it doesn't come from a genocidal maniac.
6. Make it 4 cop outs. They could have at least offed K-9.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I was hoping Donna would die. It's a real shame there's some possiblity of a comeback from Tate... :cry:
I must admit I missed the first 25 minutes so I didn't quite get what was going on with the 2 Doctors and the like, though ;)
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I was hoping Donna would die. It's a real shame there's some possiblity of a comeback from Tate... :cry:
I must admit I missed the first 25 minutes so I didn't quite get what was going on with the 2 Doctors and the like, though ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Regeneration reset button - I told you so.

Regarding Donna, both with the scene in the Tardis with the Doctor's hand and after she'd been shot by Davros, I was expecting another Chamelon Arch routine. Her turning out to be Romana would have made a lot more sense than the gibberish we got.

Overall though, a great episode. I'm not sure if RTD intended the reaction to the whole thing to be howls of laughter for the entire hour, but if he did he suceeded brilliantly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

More plot devices than you can shake a stick at. The key, the warp star, the Davros-buster gun, Doctor Donna, K-9, etc.
Looks like Mickey and Martha might be finding their way into Torchwood's employment.
I felt a bit sorry for Donna at the end, though. It's a but of a pitty she wasn't able to remember all the things she did.
The TARDIS is supposed to be crewed by 6? That explains a lot.
The Doctor's regeneration was a cop-out. Figured.
Loved Jack's "You don't want to know what I'm thinking right now" line.
The writers missed out on a great oppertunity. When Dalek Khan betrayed Davros, Davros should have yelled "KHAAAAAAN!"

Overall, not a bad episode. But by no means the best. I'd give this maybe 6/10.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:More plot devices than you can shake a stick at. The key, the warp star, the Davros-buster gun, Doctor Donna, K-9, etc.
You forgot Captain Scarlet. :P
Overall, not a bad episode. But by no means the best. I'd give this maybe 6/10.
I'd give it an 8. It isn't the best plot by a long way, but it had plenty of action, a classic villain of the moustache-twirling variety, general wackiness, and lots and lots of explosions. It's certainly the best of the action-orientated (rather than plot-orientated) episodes.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well that was frentic.

I bought the idea of getting rid of the excess regeneration energy... I bought it making a new doctor... I bought it making a Doctor/Donna hybrid too.

This suffered from the same thing the last did; so many people to cram in, it made it too crowded and jumpy. The warp star or whatever it was called, the thingie key, putting in a Jack resurrection, all that... just too much to take in.

I was impressed by Donna/Doctor. Tate did a really good job as uber-Donna, I thought. In fact I liked all the individual bits, they just didn't gel all that great for me.

Oh, the Tardis towing Earth? Super, super, SUPER cool idea.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I did like the "take a guess which planet" line - a nod the fact that Earth keeps popping up all the time in the Doctors adventurers. Its one of my fave plot tricks - when an inconvenient story element is too big to ignore (such as a characters age - Clint and Shatner, I'm looking at you), just tackle it straight on.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

meh a couple of good scenes and one liners but overall not worth the build up. Not one I'd bother watching again.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I quite enjoyed it. Tate did a really good job playing doctor donna i thought. There were elements that were a tad iffy, like the millions of things to use to destroy the dalek plans. I think Davros, or whoever played him, did a marvellious job.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Indeed - and one of the best bits of the episode was the bit of reminiscing between Davros and Sarah, or at least Davros remembering her.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think Sarah Jane's reaction to the Daleks and Davros was a great bit in last weeks episode.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I can't believe it was Dalek Kaan who has been manipulating time in this way. He's been driving Donna Noble to this ending. So Donna Noble was indeed the most important woman in the Universe all along. I thought Donna would have to die for the Doctor. Thankfully it didn't come to that. She saved the Universe and everyone in it. I am going to miss Donna a lot.

Dalek Kaan is the greatest Dalek ever.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park