Episode Discussion: SG1 1.01 "Children of the Gods"

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Episode Discussion: SG1 1.01 "Children of the Gods"

Post by Varthikes »

Since everyone may not be familiar with what episode title is which, I thought I would include a link to the episode page at GateWorld.

Stargate: SG-1
"Children of the Gods"

I thought this was a great beginning for SG-1. Obviously, they were still trying to work out a few things--like the tone of the characters (General Hammond), the stargate spitting out the people, the frost produced on the person as they go through the wormhole... But, one has to give the creators a break on such things on the pilot. It's their first time on the block, after all. The scout ship/Death Glider transformation was a bit odd, too. And, a bit too small to have carried Apophis, Sha're/Amonet, and their guards, plus a pilot.

I like that they picked up the threads from movie. Like Daniel's allergies (love Jack's klenex box message). Shanks did a great job duplicating Spader's performance--performance and appearance, in fact. You can almost confuse the two. But, I'm glad they gave Anderson more freedom with O'Neill. I'm also glad Davis ( :cry: ) chose to soften up Hammond a little. He made him more likable that way. On the other hand, Robert Wisden (Samuels) really does look snobby.

Teal'c's turn was nicely done. How they cut to his expression during the...err, queen host searching? Then, when Apophis orders all of the prisoners killed. It might feel a little sudden, but we get more behind his turning later on in Season 5.

Speaking of the queen host searching, what do you all think of the full frontal nudity? GateWorld reported that Brad Wright was going to go back a fix up "Children of the Gods" and cut out that bit (possibly, they would just crop around the image to show just her head and shoulders). Do you all agree with him on this? Or, do you think he should leave it as is?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Episode Discussion: SG1 1.01 "Children of the Gods"

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nudity? Where? :?

I agree that it was a great start to the show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

When Sha're goes in to get her Gou'ald, they strip off her clothes while the camera is looking down from Apophis' level.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn, they must have cut that bit out when I saw it on Sky One.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Damn, they must have cut that bit out when I saw it on Sky One.
Same here. Now I feel a bit cheated.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Well Stargate originally aired on Showtime. I don't know how censorship is over England side but in the U.S., Showtime is paid cable service. They can show anything they want. Sci-Fi channel must clean that nudity up. It's the law...or not.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nutso wrote:Well Stargate originally aired on Showtime. I don't know how censorship is over England side but in the U.S., Showtime is paid cable service. They can show anything they want. Sci-Fi channel must clean that nudity up. It's the law...or not.
I've seen it on Sci-Fi, as near as I can tell they don't, but I've never seen the original so I don't know how much was shown. You can see enough that it's still nudity.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I own it on DVD. There you see everything from head to toe for about a minute or two as they strip off her clothes and carry were onto a nearby table. Then, there's another minute or two with the Gou'ald on her bare chest.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Varthikes wrote:I own it on DVD. There you see everything from head to toe for about a minute or two as they strip off her clothes and carry were onto a nearby table. Then, there's another minute or two with the Gou'ald on her bare chest.
Alright, then yes, edited on Sci-Fi.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Definitely edited on Sky, as well.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I remember when I first started watching it on my DVDs and going "huh?" at that. First time I'd seen it uncut.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I thought it was a good episode. I still wonder how the bad guys dialed out at the beginning. There's no DHD and I don't think they had enough time to figure out the dialing computer. I suppose there could've been a time lapse where the Jaffa dialed it manually.

I like the way Teal'c turned. You can see a hint of turning between him and Jack before Apophis gives his order and leaves. Then that one moment when he said, "There are many who said that." I was like, oh jeez is he gonna shoot them or what's gonna happen...and then the "but you are the first I believed could do it." it sent shivers down my spine.

As for the nudity, I say keep it in. It shows how the Gou'ald consider the humans as nothing more then animals, like a cow or something.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:...As for the nudity, I say keep it in. It shows how the Gou'ald consider the humans as nothing more then animals, like a cow or something.
Plus, we get to see some quality nudity. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:...As for the nudity, I say keep it in. It shows how the Gou'ald consider the humans as nothing more then animals, like a cow or something.
Plus, we get to see some quality nudity. :wink:
You need to get out more
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:You need to get out more
Technically, I need to get in more. :wink: