Enterprise Roleplay sign in

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Enterprise Roleplay sign in

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um, that's a film, not reality.

Out of curiosity, how many MACOs do we have on board? DITL mentions the NX-01 being apointed a single squad, so would we have a similar amount?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Really? Clancy's The Hunt for the Red October made me think otherwise. It seemed like the Red October had the one doctor, and later it seemed like the Dallas continued her tour without their only medic(he was moved to the October)
One: That was a novel

Two: That was a Soviet sub, they had officers responsible for jobs the West trusted low and middle ranking NCO's perform

Three: I'm really not sure what your trying to say.

Four: It's a sub, not a capital ship in deep sapce.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Um, that's a film, not reality.

Out of curiosity, how many MACOs do we have on board? DITL mentions the NX-01 being apointed a single squad, so would we have a similar amount?
I was kind of wanting more than a single squad. I think NX-01 got a litlte more too. I know they said like a squadron but I think they had more than 12 that we saw.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Um, that's a film, not reality.

A squad, as in eight men?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:
I was kind of wanting more than a single squad. I think NX-01 got a litlte more too. I know they said like a squadron but I think they had more than 12 that we saw.
At least give them half a platoon, three or four sections. Eight guys aren't going to last long, regular sick call is probably going to have a couple down at any one time.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So 24-32 troops?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:So 24-32 troops?
A platoon is around 36 men (depending on the nation it can be as high as 42 or as low as 30) in a Canadian infantry battalion, half of 36 is 18.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, right. I was going by your mention of 3-4 sections, which over here is 8 men each (hence the 24-32 number).
So how would those 18 be divided up? 3 squads of 6? Perhaps with Blackstar and hir 2-i-C making it up to a round 20?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:So 24-32 troops?
The NX only has a compliment of 80 people, so about 30% of the crew would be MACO's then.
Um, that's a film, not reality
I'm talking about the book. I was under the impression Tom Clancy was familier with or researched that kind of stuff.
Four: It's a sub, not a capital ship in deep sapce.
So, because it flys in space rather swim under water they should through all previous operating procedures out the airlock?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The NX only has a compliment of 80 people, so about 30% of the crew would be MACO's then.
Even a small bunch is going to take up a fair percentage of our crew count. I'd go with Kendall's 18 troops.
I'm talking about the book. I was under the impression Tom Clancy was familier with or researched that kind of stuff.
Although I have little knowledge of military matters, from what I've heard Clancy isn't that accurate.
So, because it flys in space rather swim under water they should through all previous operating procedures out the airlock?
1) Said "previous operating procedures" are from a fiction novel with a tenous basis in reality.
2) The NX is more akin to a surface ship than a sub, which is what Kendall based his medical staff numbers on.
3) Having only a single person looking after the entire crew is downright stupid.
4) Kendall has direct experience with the military, so I'm more willing to go by his suggestions than Mr. Clancy's.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
He does research his books, however things in books like movies get altered for dramatic purposes.

If we go by the RL submarine example, there would be no fragging doctor and everyone would die a horrible death from Andorian measles or something. Besides, the closest analogy to the NX-01 is a cruiser, given it's role in the Earth Starfleet. A sub really has no equivilant in the ST universe.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote: 2) The NX is more akin to a surface ship than a sub, which is what Kendall based his medical staff numbers on.
Not really. For example: Space ships have to move in three dimensions much like Submarines, whereas surface ships only move in two. In fact when they were first designing the interiors they based the designs on subs.
4) Kendall has direct experience with the military, so I'm more willing to go by his suggestions than Mr. Clancy's.
The Canadian military :roll: . Do they even have a Navy?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not really. In fact when they were first designing the interiors they based the designs on subs. For example: Space ships have to move in three dimensions much like Submarines, whereas surface ships only move in two.
They based the interior of the Battlestar Galactica on a sub too. Doesn't mean the ship fullfills the role of a sub. As Kendall pointed out, its role is more akin to a surface ship. And the fact that it moves in an extra dimension is pretty irrelevant.
The Canadian military :roll: . Do they even have a Navy?
1) There's nothing wrong with the Canadian military.
2) Yes, they do.
3) It's still better than whatever experience (or, to be more accurate, lack thereof) you have. Therefore I'm taking his suggestions.

And, again, I'll point out that having just one person for 80 people on a ship that will probably get into harm's way on a few occasions is fraking insane.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
Not really. In fact when they were first designing the interiors they based the designs on subs. For example: Space ships have to move in three dimensions much like Submarines, whereas surface ships only move in two.
They based the interior of the Battlestar Galactica on a sub too. Doesn't mean the ship fullfills the role of a sub. As Kendall pointed out, its role is more akin to a surface ship. And the fact that it moves in an extra dimension is pretty irrelevant.
That's what Khan thought. Didn't turn out so well for him. And that was one example. Other examples: Subs and space craft both have to worry about damage anywhere on the vessel because of the hull breach issue, whereas surface ships can take several hits to their superstructures without sinking.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's what Khan thought. Didn't turn out so well for him.
Complete and utter red herring.
Other examples: Subs and space craft both have to worry about damage anywhere on the vessel because of the hull breach issue, whereas surface ships can take several hits to their superstructures without sinking.
Well whoop-de-doo. What does that have to do with the crew make-up? You're pointing out superficial similarities that impact in no way on the make up of the crew, while ignoring that the ship's function, which is the important bit, is more akin to a surface ship.