what shall we name her?

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: what shall we name her?

Post by Sonic Glitch »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:If the shuttle naming convention-thingy was followed has the NX-03 through the NX-05 being named after the remaining US shuttles then the Buran would probably be NX-06
Good point...and we don't have to be NX-03...6 is a nice number because by then it's an established class and all the "new" toys should be reliable and worked into the spaceframe.
There's something else we should consider: Phase Cannons/lasers? Spatial Atomic Torpedoes/"Photonic" Torpedoes....I think we could argue that the phase cannons and photonics were to expenseive/complicated for mass production so the remaining NX ships stuck with the tried and true?

(we do what we can to clean up continuity :-))
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:If the shuttle naming convention-thingy was followed has the NX-03 through the NX-05 being named after the remaining US shuttles then the Buran would probably be NX-06
Good point...and we don't have to be NX-03...6 is a nice number because by then it's an established class and all the "new" toys should be reliable and worked into the spaceframe.
There's something else we should consider: Phase Cannons/lasers? Spatial Atomic Torpedoes/"Photonic" Torpedoes....I think we could argue that the phase cannons and photonics were to expenseive/complicated for mass production so the remaining NX ships stuck with the tried and true?

I vote for lasers, atomics, either superconducting armor or something along those lines and no fragging transporter (if we have to than cargo only).
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

me,myself and I wrote:

I think we should stay with the weapons established in Enterprise(photonic torpedoes and Phase cannons). Maybe even an early(and rarely functional) energy shield.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Do we want a poll?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I think we should stay with the weapons established in Enterprise(photonic torpedoes and Phase cannons). Maybe even an early(and rarely functional) energy shield.
I'll raise an objection. With this we can do what should have been done or what we want, we don't have to be hamstrung by B&B's vision and using older tech gives us an excuse not to use the phasers as a multitool.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I'll raise an objection. With this we can do what should have been done or what we want, we don't have to be hamstrung by B&B's vision and using older tech gives us an excuse not to use the phasers as a multitool.
I think we should stick to canon, even if it wasn't what we hoped for. Otherwise it isn't Star Trek. Besides, I think the only way phase pistols were used as multi-purpose tools was when they were rigged as a high-powered explosive on the Romulan Drone.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:

I vote for lasers, atomics, either superconducting armor or something along those lines and no fragging transporter (if we have to than cargo only).
Then it wouldn't be an NX class.

May be too late to vote but would I like Kitty Hawk.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: I think we should stick to canon, even if it wasn't what we hoped for. Otherwise it isn't Star Trek. Besides, I think the only way phase pistols were used as multi-purpose tools was when they were rigged as a high-powered explosive on the Romulan Drone.
In Terra Nova they got used as a cutting tool. If we're going to stick to canon than we need to agree before hand to try and avoid the technobabble that plagued the shows.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:
Then it wouldn't be an NX class.
And?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm voting for less technobullsh*t.

Maybe it was discovered that "phase cannons" and associated weapons caused sterility, or genital withering, or some such. :P

Maybe some major breakthrough was made in laser tech that brought them back to the forefront. Canon says lasers were the primary weapons of the early 23rd century.

Besides, Daystrom and Starbolt's Pride are certainly non-canon in a lot of ways. I think "flexibility" is the word I'm looking for.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Put up a poll and see what everyone wants. I'll agree to abide by it's decision.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Put up a poll and see what everyone wants. I'll agree to abide by it's decision.
Seconded.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote: Besides, Daystrom and Starbolt's Pride are certainly non-canon in a lot of ways. I think "flexibility" is the word I'm looking for.
But those take place after the canon series so we have a lot more flexability there. The NX's abilitys were clearly defined in the series and I don't want to deal with technobabble to explain why this ship is less capable then the NX-01.
I'm voting for less technobullsh*t.

Maybe it was discovered that "phase cannons" and associated weapons caused sterility, or genital withering, or some such.
Kindof contridicting yourself there. First you say less technobabble, then you say you want to elliminate the phase cannons because of some technobabble reason. Have you thought about being a politician? :lol:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Any objections to NX-06 Buran cause i think it sits well.
Last edited by Reliant121 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

NX-01 is already taken. NX-06 might be better.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.