Why do people like Kirk so much?

The Original Series
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Why do people like Kirk so much?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote: But we have yet to see a single thing they cant do unless it involves another Q. They seem to have unlimited power of time and creation. I may be missing something but what else is there? The all knowing thing is debateable but with there powers if they dont know natrally then they could find out pretty easily.
Well, Quinn couldn't kill himself. And we can only move in three dimensions.The Q may simply be able to move in more dimensions then us. To a two dimensional person who can only up/down and left/right our ability to go fowards/backwards might seem amazing to them. Maybe appearing to change our size since they can't see distance in that direction for example. Since the Q can clearly move through time at will that would be at least four dimensions, probably at least five to explain their other 'abilities'.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Quinn not being able to kill himself falls under the catagory of "Do anything to none Q"

And while your explanation may explain their abilities is does not void the fact that they seem to be able to do anything in relation to non Q beings.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's what I was trying to say. Whether they are truly omnipotent is academic; they may be considered omnipotent from a human POV.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You know, it does occur to me that Amanda Rogers must have pretty much given up on any sense of allegiance to her family, Humanity, and the Federation in general. Can you imagine what people would have done if she'd turned up during the Dominion war with a million fully crewed Galaxy class starships in tow? :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:You know, it does occur to me that Amanda Rogers must have pretty much given up on any sense of allegiance to her family, Humanity, and the Federation in general. Can you imagine what people would have done if she'd turned up during the Dominion war with a million fully crewed Galaxy class starships in tow? :)
Maybe the Q has the equivilent of a prime directive in major matters like that
Last edited by Blackstar the Chakat on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about her. All I can say is, the Dominion would have been goners.

And Blackstar, don't you mean the Q?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:You know, it does occur to me that Amanda Rogers must have pretty much given up on any sense of allegiance to her family, Humanity, and the Federation in general. Can you imagine what people would have done if she'd turned up during the Dominion war with a million fully crewed Galaxy class starships in tow? :)
Forget Galaxies - the Q must have some serious firepower of their own if supernovae are one of their side effects. Imagine that being thrown at the Dominion. :twisted:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

stitch626 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about her. All I can say is, the Dominion would have been goners.

And Blackstar, don't you mean the Q?
My bad
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's a book I very vaguely remember reading when I was a kid... the Klingons launched a full scale invasion of the Federation during the TOS timeframe. Kirk takes the Enterprise to Organia to find out why they aren't enforcing the peace as before, and discovers that the Klingons have some forcefield or something that neutralised them. At the end he releases them... and the Organians bugger up the power systems of every Klingon spacecraft. Basically the ships begin to lose power, with nothing the engineers do making any difference. The effect happens over a few days, leaving them just enough time to limp back to the nearest Klingon planet. The Organians suggest that they will be left without access to space flight for a few centuries to give them time to get over themselves, basically.

No idea what the book was called. Anybody know?

It's the kind of thing Amanda could do very easily I would imagine.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:There's a book I very vaguely remember reading when I was a kid... the Klingons launched a full scale invasion of the Federation during the TOS timeframe. Kirk takes the Enterprise to Organia to find out why they aren't enforcing the peace as before, and discovers that the Klingons have some forcefield or something that neutralised them. At the end he releases them... and the Organians bugger up the power systems of every Klingon spacecraft. Basically the ships begin to lose power, with nothing the engineers do making any difference. The effect happens over a few days, leaving them just enough time to limp back to the nearest Klingon planet. The Organians suggest that they will be left without access to space flight for a few centuries to give them time to get over themselves, basically.

No idea what the book was called. Anybody know?

It's the kind of thing Amanda could do very easily I would imagine.
I've read that one, but I got it from the libarary years ago and I don't remember what it was called
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:That's what I was trying to say. Whether they are truly omnipotent is academic; they may be considered omnipotent from a human POV.
And really, in ST at least, that's all they need.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Never heard of that book, myself. Was it any good?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I remember liking it, but I was like 12.

And I found it! It's called "Spock Must Die!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock_Must_Die%21
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:I remember liking it, but I was like 12.

And I found it! It's called "Spock Must Die!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock_Must_Die%21
Oh, ya. I actually have that one. Spock is split into good and evil halves of logic or something, and the evil half deduces through logic that one of them must die. Hence the title.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, interesting.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"