Tuvix: Any way to have saved him, AND Tuvok and Neelix

Voyager
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tuvix: Any way to have saved him, AND Tuvok and Neelix

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Just rewatched the episode Tuvix again today, and I was thinking Janeway got too...beam happy. A method with the transporters to create a clone or something could have been used to keep Tuvix alive, like how Riker was split in two. One Tuvix can be used to seperate Tuvok and Neelix, and the other Tuvix could have survived. Sounds plausible? Any ideas?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Tuvix: Any way to have saved him, AND Tuvok and Neelix

Post by Teaos »

It might have been set uo so it stored Tuvix in the machine while ripping anoter version of him apart but from what I recall people here would still class that murder.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Use the transporter to clone Tuvix, which we knoz can be done, and then turn the clone back into Tuvok/Neelix.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

By the logic you used in the last debate you are murdering the clone doing that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You'll be murdering at least one person regardless of what you do. This way at least allows all involved to live on in so,e form.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

If you create a clone, but don't materialize it before you split it then it would never have been alive technically.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:You'll be murdering at least one person regardless of what you do. This way at least allows all involved to live on in so,e form.
You aren't murdering anybody if you do nothing and let Tuvox live, which is what they should have done.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:You aren't murdering anybody if you do nothing and let Tuvox live, which is what they should have done.
Tuvok and Neelix however, remain dead, despite the existence of the means to revive them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:You aren't murdering anybody if you do nothing and let Tuvox live, which is what they should have done.
Tuvok and Neelix however, remain dead, despite the existence of the means to revive them.
There's another way to look at it. Some parents die in certain species when they have children(usually insects with large number of births out of an egg or something), so you could look at it as Neelix and Tuvok dying to give birth to Tuvix.

Did anyone else notice that their clothes also combined?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:There's another way to look at it. Some parents die in certain species when they have children(usually insects with large number of births out of an egg or something), so you could look at it as Neelix and Tuvok dying to give birth to Tuvix.
The combination of the two into "Tuvix" was not a natural part of the lifecycle of either Vulcans or Talaxians. Moreover, they did not chose to be thus combined, and given their antipathy it's highly unlikely they would choose to be so combined.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:There's another way to look at it. Some parents die in certain species when they have children(usually insects with large number of births out of an egg or something), so you could look at it as Neelix and Tuvok dying to give birth to Tuvix.
The combination of the two into "Tuvix" was not a natural part of the lifecycle of either Vulcans or Talaxians. Moreover, they did not chose to be thus combined, and given their antipathy it's highly unlikely they would choose to be so combined.
Well, rape victims don't choose to have children yet sometimes they do. This isn't much different.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Well, rape victims don't choose to have children yet sometimes they do. This isn't much different.
Correction: rape victims do not choose to conceive, but if they carry the chid to term it most certainly is their choice.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Well, rape victims don't choose to have children yet sometimes they do. This isn't much different.
Correction: rape victims do not choose to conceive, but if they carry the chid to term it most certainly is their choice.
So Tuvix would be an abortion then?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:So Tuvix would be an abortion then?
Absolutely - to continue the analogy, it would be in order to safeguard the health of the "mother(s)".
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:So Tuvix would be an abortion then?
Absolutely - to continue the analogy, it would be in order to safeguard the health of the "mother(s)".
That's one arguement, however one could argue that since they were already dead there was no health to safeguard. I suppose it would come down to how federation law is written to find which loophole actually works