Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by sunnyside »

Nothing big with me but it'd be fun to do something. There was that Star Trek system I did earlier though that took a lot of work to run.

I'd also be up for a 40K combat patrol. Actually if two people don't know 40K and want to learn that could be a decent way to do it. I'd just pick forces that don't have piles of special rules. You'd just give orders and I'd translate them into game mechanics. Pretty easy and you'd pick up the game mechanics quickly enough. A combat patrol mission, by the way, is basically two platoons running into each other. Not a full "army" battle.

I'd just pick low special rule armies that would be intuitive to play. Hmmmmm Space Marines vs Imperial Guard.

Space marines are genetically engineered supermans in power armor

Imperial guard. Well they've got modern tech and the full codex has other options. But for these purposes consider them to be about the sort of troopers we have today. Now it may seem like regular GIs vs power armor wearing supermen isn't a fair matchup, but you would have some heavy weapons and as this is a wargame everything costs "points" to balance things out, so you'd outnumber the Marines 2-3 to 1.

Of course if you do play 40K and want to play me I'd probably be bringing my Eldar.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by Reliant121 »

y'knows i'm interested. but you live along way...wait...is this internet based? if so how would that work?

I know a little about the 40k universe. not enough to like play a game and i havnt read a codex page from page but i know a little bout the races.

and once i've knew more bout the star trek game we saw earlier, that would be fun. But where to get a hex board from.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Wargames meaning tabletop games? Aren't there a lot of videogames these days that basically converted tabletop games over to digital format without the need for paper, maps, tables etc.?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Duskofdead wrote:Wargames meaning tabletop games? Aren't there a lot of videogames these days that basically converted tabletop games over to digital format without the need for paper, maps, tables etc.?
Probably. I know there have been some 40K ports to first person shooters and real time strategy games (FYI Starcraft was origionally a 40K game, but Blizzard decided they didn't want to pay the royalties or some such and so just changed things enough to avoid lawsuits. )

There are also free online methods like VASSAL. What I'm proposing however is a play by forum version, which would be a varient of a play by e-mail method I've used in the past. It really only works well with 40K I'm afraid.

Here's a snippet from part of a game to get an idea what it looks like.
EDIT: This forum clips off the edge of the picture. But that's OK because a combat patrol map would still fit.

If you wanted to we could just start off with a practice match up with Dusk and Reliant just to see.

1. How well my play by e-mail thing works in a forum
2. How well it works having people just giving orders without knowing all the underlying mechanics. In principle it should be OK. I mean it isn't like real life generals have dice mechanics to base their decisions on, they just know about what each of their units can do. I'd give you that information.

If you're interested just pick a side Imperial Guard or Space Marines.
Last edited by sunnyside on Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aw, man, those Chaos Marines are screwed!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote:Aw, man, those Chaos Marines are screwed!
Gold star for Rochey. This was actually a game back in 3rd edition so the starcannons still had a lot of bite. I forget the final score, but it was a fairly solid trouncing.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unless that Dreadnought gets itself un-stunned damn quick and unleashes a daemonic asswhooping on that Wave Serpent, then the Basilisk is completely screwed. And three Rhinos agains a Falcon? Don't make me laugh.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

i'd be willing to give it a try. but i'd need to know now it all works first. Being new to forum based stuff like this.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote:Unless that Dreadnought gets itself un-stunned damn quick and unleashes a daemonic asswhooping on that Wave Serpent, then the Basilisk is completely screwed. And three Rhinos agains a Falcon? Don't make me laugh.
What really screwed them was disembarking their troops too early. Take those guys with Rhino II, they didn't have line of sight on anything. It's like they weren't even in the game until near the end when Chaos's right flank and center are completely gone and my units are crossing over to mop up. The disembarcation points of some of the other squads is better, but not by a lot.

EDIT: If you really don't get what Rochey is talking about he's looking at the full picture which you can see at
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/n ... sample.jpg
Reliant121 wrote:i'd be willing to give it a try. but i'd need to know now it all works first. Being new to forum based stuff like this.
As with learning 40k in real life the best way is just to not take your first game to seriously and jump right in. If you walked into a competent GW store they don't send you into a corner with a couple hundred pages of rules. They just start you playing a little battle and in about 20 minutes you know how to play.

Just pick Space Marines or Imperial Guard and we'll work from there. Or, even, better, say you don't care which you play and let your challenger pick. Or Dusk could jump in and pick one. Whatever.

Or I suppose you could watch Rochey and I play once if he's down for it. Do you have powerpoint Rochey?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

how is powerpoint used?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:how is powerpoint used?
Very carefully. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

You want in Tsukiyumi?

Powerpoint is actually something you should learn to use sometime. As a fairly standard microsoft product you'll find it on a lot of computers. But only someone who already knows 40K and is playing me would need to know how to use it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't have powerpoint, actually. I'll see about downloading it.

As for playing, I might be inclined to try. I enjoyed that "You're the Admiral" thing you did a while back. I never did find those pirates... :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can use powerpoint, i just dont see how it can be used in the context.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:I can use powerpoint, i just dont see how it can be used in the context.
Real-time movement of the "pieces" I suppose.