If you were Captain what would you do?

Voyager
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

We're fairly sure that using the array would've taken some time to learn, so unless one could hold off the Kazon for weeks, you'd have to either blow the thing up (if you gave a crap about the Ocampa), or retreat, and hope you could fight off a Kazon armada at a later date.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Or put a time delay on the bomb.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:We're fairly sure that using the array would've taken some time to learn, so unless one could hold off the Kazon for weeks, you'd have to either blow the thing up (if you gave a crap about the Ocampa), or retreat, and hope you could fight off a Kazon armada at a later date.
Yup. And the whole "time bomb" theory assumes that when Voyager "came back to fight another day" there wouldn't be 2, 4, 8 of those big Predator type warships swarming around it. Then you have Kazon with access to advanced technology and Voyager having to go home the long way anyhow, with a much more dangerous Kazon after them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well yeah there is the option of just letting the Ocampa die and go home. You didnt ask to be brough here.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:We're fairly sure that using the array would've taken some time to learn, so unless one could hold off the Kazon for weeks, you'd have to either blow the thing up (if you gave a crap about the Ocampa), or retreat, and hope you could fight off a Kazon armada at a later date.
The relevent part of Caretaker.

Tuvok had already figured out how to activate the relevent system, and could have done it within hours, not weeks.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Kazon captain stated that he'd called for reinforcements, but I agree that I would've stayed and fought until I was forced to withdraw or the array charged up. I would of course have left a timed tri-cobalt device on the array. :wink: Janeway seemed to have made her mind up without even seeing how many reinforcements were coming, or what type they were. Could've been garbage scows for all she knew.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

We've already had the free ride home discussion elsewhere. And probably more than once.

As I recall some relevant points were that

1. It would have taken hours, and reinforcements might have well arrived before then.

2. The array was already damaged enough that the self destruct was offline. Activating the "send people across space" function would have been a crap shoot.

3. They took heavy damage and lost a significant portion of the crew getting there. And that was when the array was being used by someone who knew what they were doing and Voyager was undamaged.

Counterpoints were that as soon as Tuvok's character shield interacted with the array the ride home would be easy like Sunday morning. Also that she should have at least tried to hold the array long enough and see if they could figure out how the damage might affect things.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

The relevent part of Caretaker.

Tuvok had already figured out how to activate the relevent system, and could have done it within hours, not weeks.
We've been through that. Putting forth that they had the leisure to activate the program is speculation at best, they were still under attack at that moment.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

sunnyside wrote:...3. They took heavy damage and lost a significant portion of the crew getting there. And that was when the array was being used by someone who knew what they were doing and Voyager was undamaged...
This is a great point. They may have been destroyed trying to get back without the Caretaker's expertise. I prefer to err on the side of caution, personally. Especially when other people's lives are at stake.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
sunnyside wrote:...3. They took heavy damage and lost a significant portion of the crew getting there. And that was when the array was being used by someone who knew what they were doing and Voyager was undamaged...
This is a great point. They may have been destroyed trying to get back without the Caretaker's expertise. I prefer to err on the side of caution, personally. Especially when other people's lives are at stake.
Yeah certainly historical hindsight would not have been kinder to Janeway if her ship had imploded trying to use an advanced alien technology.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:This is a great point. They may have been destroyed trying to get back without the Caretaker's expertise. I prefer to err on the side of caution, personally. Especially when other people's lives are at stake.
I'd prefer the possibility that a third to half the crew would die on the return trip by Caretaker than the near certainty that most of the crew would die on the return trip, through old age if nothing else. There's also the fact that the array, while by no means fully understood, is at least a known quatity in terms of its effects. A 75 year trip through completely unknown territory is a far less certain prospect, particularly given that Borg space was certain to be encountered at some point.
Dusk wrote:We've been through that. Putting forth that they had the leisure to activate the program is speculation at best, they were still under attack at that moment.
Would you rather take on a few tin cans for an hour or so, or the might of the Borg Collective for years? Janeway chose the latter course.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Dusk wrote:We've been through that. Putting forth that they had the leisure to activate the program is speculation at best, they were still under attack at that moment.
Would you rather take on a few tin cans for an hour or so, or the might of the Borg Collective for years? Janeway chose the latter course.
Those tin cans proved to be a challenge for Voyager on many occasions when it was at full strength. In this specific case Voyager was heavily damaged from the encounter with the array. I doubt it would hold up in a battle against multiple vessels
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

She did fine though, didn't she? ::wink::