Andromeda Strain

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Andromeda Strain

Post by stitch626 »

So, what have people heard about the new Andromeda Strain movie?
I've only seen one preview, but theat was right before Iron Man, so I wasn't paying attention.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmm? What's that? Michael Crichton cashing in again?

I very probably will avoid this film like the plague; The Andromeda Strain, like much of Crichton's serious (read: "non-mercenary" or not made-for film) and early work, was a phenomenal novel. Also like everything he's ever written, it will probably translate on film as a hollow mockery of the book. For examples, see Jurassic Park; Sphere; Congo; and The Thirteenth Warrior (from the novel Eaters of the Dead.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Isnt that the thing that BSKYB are touting as a TV exclusive for Sky One? o.o Hrmm. Sorry to sound uninitiated but.. whats all this then?
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I would have to refute the 13th Warrior / Eaters of the Dead. I found Eaters of the Dead underwhelming, and 13th Warrior and excellent 'popcorn, soda & 'don't think too hard and enjoy the flick except for Antonio Banderas.'

Otherwise, you're spot on...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I liked the original film, though I've no doubt the book was superior. Much as I hate poor remakes, or covers of songs, I'll give anything a try.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jabber Swarky wrote:Isnt that the thing that BSKYB are touting as a TV exclusive for Sky One? o.o Hrmm. Sorry to sound uninitiated but.. whats all this then?
What language are you speaking? :?
Foxbat wrote:I would have to refute the 13th Warrior / Eaters of the Dead. I found Eaters of the Dead underwhelming, and 13th Warrior and excellent 'popcorn, soda & 'don't think too hard and enjoy the flick except for Antonio Banderas.'
That's the way Jurassic Park was as well. The problem I have with that is these are film versions of novels which were thoughtful and which made use of true, "hard" scientific principles and philosophies. If you want to make a hack-and-slash adventure flick, don't bother "basing" it on one of these novels.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Looked it up on youtube, doesn't look that bad.