Fluidic space.

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Fluidic space.

Post by Teaos »

Fluidic space is the home ground of species 8472 as seen in Voyager. I originally thought this was another part of our universe but then realized that that is impossible. There entire universe is filled with matter and if every point in that universe was not pulled in every direction by the same gravitational force there would be a "Center" to the fluidic space.

If it formed a sphere like how most people imagine our universe looks like the center of the sphere would be under unbelievable gravitational pull.

Thus there can be no edge. The fluid goes on forever. Since it goes on forever the gravitational pull is equal all across the space so it doesn't collapse.

Also I don't think we can really call it space since there is no space :)

The whole idea while interesting is mind bending.

I originally thought that we could use the old cop out of "The usual laws of physics don't apply here" but we know they do. For one Voyager didn't explode as soon as it entered and two it still worker just fine. Considering the inner workings of Voyager depend on some pretty fundamental physics if they weren't the same here Voyager wouldn't have worked or even existed.

You also have the problem of how did 8472 evolve? On a planet? Are there planets there? Everything seems to be organic. Maybe they just float in space. But then why do they have legs? How warm is it there? I don't see how a sun could form or work but maybe they have their own form of sun of heat producing thing. Maybe the movement of the liquid forms enough heat for life to survive but then where does light come from? An Algae? So many questions.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

If fluidic space did go on forever, and was filled with infinite amounts of matter, then the gravitational force should also be infinite, and would instantly obliterate Voyager the moment it entered.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No because the pull is equal in all directions thus it is like there is no gravity at all as far as the fluid is concerned. The only time we get gravity is from planets with a higher density than the fluid.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Ah the wonders of sci-fi. I remember thinking about this when I first saw the episodes, and it is certainly hard to comprehend the varous gravitational principles (especially considering I was about 14 or 15 when it would have first aired) associated. Trying to put it into a normal universe context seems rather futile.

But for the sake of writing, lets just suggest that this universe is essentially in a separate "bubble" (see Brief History of Time or Universe in a Nutshell) and is self-contained and separate from our own (which is silly, as the two could never contact, since they'd cease to be separate), and they happened to make contact through some amazing universal anomaly. And this anomaly just happens to shift any matter being sent back and forth (including Voyager, 8472, etc) so that it obeys the laws of that particular universe. In other words, its not just an anomaly, its a SUPER anomaly!

Okay, just an idea, but you can't say it's "too far fetched" in a world where EVERYTHING is too far fetched.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's an interesting idea but the physics behind it are impossible unless you change the laws of physics... something Trek likes to do.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh gods...fluidic space. *shudder*
I can't even begin to figure that one out.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It does screw with your mind but it is also very cool to think about the physical propeties of it.

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

I reckon fluidic space could be just a section of normal space where there is alot of matter for a huge distance in every concieveable direction (though I know nothing about physics really), like for instance two quadrants worth, as 8472 ships can operate in normal space as much as borg ships and voyager can operate in fluidic space
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No if that were the case it would form a sphere of gravity were the center would have huge gravity. For fluidic space to work it has to be another universe were the fluid goes on forever with no ending.

Cyd
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Cyd »

Even at impulse wouldn't the pressure in fluidic space tear Voyager (or the 8472 ships) up in seconds? 25% C in a liquid shouldn't be possible.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

8472 probably have some way around it but Voyager should be screwed.

Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

Fluidic space... it just sounds dirty. ;)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Only if your minds in the gutter :)

Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Oh. I guess it is. :D
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

It could be some alternate universe where the laws of physics as we know them don't apply.

But then again if Voyager has the structural integrity to withstand trillions of g-forces while at warp speeds in normal space, I don't see how she couldn't withstand the g-forces in fluidic space while at impulse or less.

Funny thought: shouldn't Voyager's shields have kept the fluid in fluidic space out? There would be a bubble of shields around that ship, and inside the bubble would be Voyager set inside a vacuum. That can neatly solve the whole problem of tremendous gravity forces pressing against her hull, because none would be.

If we assume her shields are strong enough, of course.