Doctor Who 30x04: The Sontaran Strategem

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Doctor Who 30x04: The Sontaran Strategem

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cool ep - a few references to the classic series, a subtle (or not so subtle) dig at JNT, and the Sontarans know about the Time War. Overall pretty solid.

Irritants: why didn't those idiots report unauthorised personnel before confronting them. Also, Unified Intelligence Taskforce? :x

Hopes: that the producers have persuaded Nicholas Courtney to turn up in part 2. Or, at the very least the order to open fire will be "Five rounds, rapid!" :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

blast...missed it
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Try the BBC website - it'll be available online all week for those in the UK.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can see it tomorrow or later on VirginOnDemands catch up tv service
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I'll have to catch it tomorrow on BBC3.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They're showing the more recent stuff over here on PBS tonight. I think I'll check it out, as I haven't caught any since the mid-eighties...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Dammit, I liked both Martha and Donna in this episode.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

What I like about Donna is she's a peoples person. Martha may not have been too affluent but she was a Doctor....Where as Donna was a filing Clerk. She's just an ordinary girl from an ordinary suburb.
Plus she's got attitude like hell!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I love the Sontarans, but making them all a bunch of shorties just makes me giggle whenever I see the little fellas. This ep needed a scene of one showing his strength to make them a more credible threat.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I see it more as a continuation of DW's habit of making the mundane, or even comical, seem threatening. After all, who in 1962 would have considered a pepperpot with a plunger and a whisk scary?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:I see it more as a continuation of DW's habit of making the mundane, or even comical, seem threatening. After all, who in 1962 would have considered a pepperpot with a plunger and a whisk scary?
And I still don't. ;)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

So this UNIT group, I think it was called, was also the same group who controlled the Valient? So this is two alien invasions that they failed to stop on their own? Boy they're on top of things. :roll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I wouldn't hold the Toclafane invasion against them. Those guys were pretty damn uber.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:I see it more as a continuation of DW's habit of making the mundane, or even comical, seem threatening. After all, who in 1962 would have considered a pepperpot with a plunger and a whisk scary?
Well yeah, but they never really made the Sontarans that scary. Good writing presents something that looks silly or unthreatening, and then counterpoints it by having it do damage. Hence the Dalek in "Dalek" pointed it's plunger at a guy only to have him laugh it off... and then the plunger crushed his face.

This ep needed something like that. The soldier challenged the Sontaran's physique... the writer should have had him respond by showing how much stronger he was.

In fact for the "best soldiers in the Galaxy" the Sontarans did horribly in this episode. They had their copper gizmo field, yes. But the second that was gone, the UNIT troops wiped the floor with them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

For the Daleks... substance over style with them, it seems. *Shrugs* Hearign about them, they're incredible villians.

Seeing them... and no matter what, I laugh. I can't help it. Hell, six years old, seeing 'Genesis of the Daleks', and never once found them to be scary.