Space Ocean

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Space Ocean

Post by Teaos »

As seen in the Voyager episode thirty days (one of my favorite VOY episodes) there are a few things I find odd about it.

Firstly is how for once the writers got its size pretty damn close to what you would expect from an M class planet being drained.

Secondly, Why? Sure this could be one of those things that you do just because you can but that seems unlikely. It could be some sort of experiment but that seems unlikely for a few reasons

Would it be able to support any life in a natural food chain? I don't see how it could sustain it since it would have no nutrients added to it like a natural ocean does through run off.

The big question I have is, in the episode it says it is losing containment and that the water is shooting off into space. Why would this happen? Shouldn't gravity hold it together like a planet is held together?

Also it says the core is getting damaged by the water getting denser due to the industry on the inhabitance. How could you make water denser? And even if you did somehow make it denser the sphere its self would remain the same mass since nothing is leaving or being added to it.

Strange
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Space Ocean

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:As seen in the Voyager episode thirty days (one of my favorite VOY episodes) there are a few things I find odd about it.

Firstly is how for once the writers got its size pretty damn close to what you would expect from an M class planet being drained.
A broken clock is still right twice a day, right?
Secondly, Why? Sure this could be one of those things that you do just because you can but that seems unlikely. It could be some sort of experiment but that seems unlikely for a few reasons
The first thing that comes to mind is that someone stripped the ocean off an enemies world as a punishment.
Would it be able to support any life in a natural food chain? I don't see how it could sustain it since it would have no nutrients added to it like a natural ocean does through run off.
I don't see how it could unless the race using it is stocking it. I also don't understand how it's not a frozen ball.
The big question I have is, in the episode it says it is losing containment and that the water is shooting off into space. Why would this happen? Shouldn't gravity hold it together like a planet is held together?
You would think so.
Also it says the core is getting damaged by the water getting denser due to the industry on the inhabitance. How could you make water denser? And even if you did somehow make it denser the sphere its self would remain the same mass since nothing is leaving or being added to it.

Strange
I wrote that off as them meaning pressure.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A broken clock is still right twice a day, right?
Not if its digital :P
The first thing that comes to mind is that someone stripped the ocean off an enemies world as a punishment.
They say in episode the method they use, a kinetic movement system took 200 years to achive it. So its possible but unlikely.
I don't see how it could unless the race using it is stocking it. I also don't understand how it's not a frozen ball.
Yeah I cant see anything but a few krill like creatures living there.

But if it was in the perfect spot I could see it being the right temp. And considering it was man made they would obviously place it right.

Although something I just though of. What happens if a commet hits it? Shouldnt the core we saw be covered in meteor matter?
I wrote that off as them meaning pressure.
But even if they did mean pressure how would that increase unless you add to the mass of the sphere.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Space Ocean

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:As seen in the Voyager episode thirty days (one of my favorite VOY episodes) there are a few things I find odd about it.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Because the plot called for a Space Ocean. :P
I suppose it could technically be self-supporting, but would require far more photosynthetic addition to the bio-mass than an interstellar body would likely be able to generate. So, in this case, unless it stopped right by a white or yellow star 60% of the time, no.
Yes it should, unless for some stupid reason the water is pressurized over and above what pressure gravity would induce.

Strange
I imagine this was a vernacular or shorthand comment - "denser" referring to either the mixture comprising the ocean - the actual water plus any solutes, suspended particulates, etc - or that the density of the solutes/suspensions was increasing in ratio to the solvent.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'm not sure if this water, removed from it's planet, is massive enough for its own gravity to induce enough pressure to keep the water in a liquid state.

Another thing: the surface of the ocean showed wave-like motion, but there was no atmosphere to generate winds.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Another thing: the surface of the ocean showed wave-like motion, but there was no atmosphere to generate winds.
*groan* Are you fucking serious?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's times like these that I fall back on my answer for every bit of stupidity in the Trek universe:
The writers are morons.

There, problem solved.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I'm not sure if this water, removed from it's planet, is massive enough for its own gravity to induce enough pressure to keep the water in a liquid state.

Well, the the thing was in interstellar space, so it's a question of little gravity competing with NO gravity. As to the wave-motion thing... no reasonable explanation exists that I can think of.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

But even if they did mean pressure how would that increase unless you add to the mass of the sphere.
Well, they kept adding buildings and ships and that would displace the water in that area. It happens all the time on earth when we launch ships, however we don't have a forcefield or whatever it was holding the water down, and it's never enough to be noticed. However the water planet is held together by a containment field of some sort if I remember correctly. When the displacement reaches a certain point the planet would, 'overflow' so to speak.
Well, under the water of a natural planet there is even more land right? Maybe they did it to a planet to mine the underwater resources.
True, but waves could also be created by other methods, like the underwater activities. I believe the device holding the planet together was also failing, and the waves could be a symptom of it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Quite logical, Blackstar. Only, no mass could be added to the ocean unless they're mining outside resources and bringing them back.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote:Quite logical, Blackstar. Only, no mass could be added to the ocean unless they're mining outside resources and bringing them back.
Weren't those aliens living there adding mass by building ships and facilities there?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Weren't those aliens living there adding mass by building ships and facilities there?
Unless they had zero-point replicators, there's no way they could add mass, only transfer it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There may have been a nearby asteroid belt they could mine?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Weren't those aliens living there adding mass by building ships and facilities there?
Unless they had zero-point replicators, there's no way they could add mass, only transfer it.
Say what? Transfer from what? It was a planet made up of water right? Wouldn't the materials to build the ships and facilities have to come from somewhere else, and thus add the mass.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Displacement wouldn't increase pressure; water is cohesive.
as Bull offed Custer