Space Ocean

Voyager
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Say what? Transfer from what? It was a planet made up of water right? Wouldn't the materials to build the ships and facilities have to come from somewhere else, and thus add the mass.
I mean energy can only be transferred from one form to another.
I wrote:Quite logical, Blackstar. Only, no mass could be added to the ocean unless they're mining outside resources and bringing them back.
Like I said, they'd have to be harvesting outside resources, and bringing them back.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Displacement wouldn't increase pressure; water is cohesive.
True, but if you overflow a glass it will still go over the sides and into or onto whatever is around it? But since we're talking three dimensions it would spill out into space where it would float.

Or did I miss a critical day in science class?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:Displacement wouldn't increase pressure; water is cohesive.
True, but if you overflow a glass it will still go over the sides and into or onto whatever is around it? But since we're talking three dimensions it would spill out into space where it would float.

Or did I miss a critical day in science class?
No, you're correct in saying that water can and will overflow a glass (or the three-dimensional equivalent;) displacing a bit of water in the ocean - say, launching a battleship - will push the water elsewhere from the hull, but I don't see how it would increase pressure. Water being cohesive and liquid, it would expand both upwards (slightly - cohesion leads to surface tension) and toward other areas, both buoying the ship and preferring to remain at the same pressure.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Liquids, unlike gases, are generally considered virtually incompressible.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

On another Janeway inconsitancy note, Captain Janeway stated that they were giving oxygen replication to Moneans, contradicting her stance in earlier episodes when she refused to give it to the Kazon.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:On another Janeway inconsitancy note, Captain Janeway stated that they were giving oxygen replication to Moneans, contradicting her stance in earlier episodes when she refused to give it to the Kazon.
Yeah, but that's different - she liked them better. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:On another Janeway inconsitancy note, Captain Janeway stated that they were giving oxygen replication to Moneans, contradicting her stance in earlier episodes when she refused to give it to the Kazon.
Why would they need it? They can make it out of the bloody space ocean. Besides any space going race in Trek should easily have the means to harvest water from comets and convert it into oxygen.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Liquids, unlike gases, are generally considered virtually incompressible.
Which if I understand correctly is the principle behind hydrolics. So if I'm understanding correctly that could push the water upwards, beyond this containment field thing and thus make my theory correct, or at least plausable?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Sounds about right.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Why would they need it? They can make it out of the bloody space ocean. Besides any space going race in Trek should easily have the means to harvest water from comets and convert it into oxygen.
Well, I think the havesting of oxygen from the ocean was one of the things creating issues in the first place. I'm not sure how exactly though...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Well, I think the havesting of oxygen from the ocean was one of the things creating issues in the first place. I'm not sure how exactly though...
These guys must be in the running for most clueless aliens of the week since the Pakleds. FTL, tractors and high yield reactors, yet they can't go get a comet and make air out of it or use it to replenish the space lake.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Liquids, unlike gases, are generally considered virtually incompressible.
Which if I understand correctly is the principle behind hydrolics. So if I'm understanding correctly that could push the water upwards, beyond this containment field thing and thus make my theory correct, or at least plausable?
Yep. I was just talking about change in pressure, not about water escaping.
Cpl Kendall wrote:These guys must be in the running for most clueless aliens of the week since the Pakleds. FTL, tractors and high yield reactors, yet they can't go get a comet and make air out of it or use it to replenish the space lake.
Yep on that count too. Although, IIRC, the reactor was actually established by someone else. These guys would probably have trouble figuring out shoelaces.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Captain Janeway stated that they were giving oxygen replication to Moneans, contradicting her stance in earlier episodes when she refused to give it to the Kazon.
This can be explanes by Janeway not wanting a agressive species to have it but was willing to give a limited version of it to a species that was destroying a galactical monument.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, the the thing was in interstellar space, so it's a question of little gravity competing with NO gravity. As to the wave-motion thing... no reasonable explanation exists that I can think of.
I think I have an idea for this one.
Perhaps there are currents under the surface, caused by moving animals and ships etc., which causes a visible wave-like effect on the surface.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I doubt therewould be enough movement to cause waves that large.

There is no magnantic field so the planet should be apped by space radiation and kill everything inside.

The waves could be caused by solar winds.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.