Voyagers path

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Voyagers path

Post by Teaos »

Looking at the path Voyager took home (as shown above, and I believe Graham copied the path from a display shown in astrometrics once) there are several strange points.

Firstly is the path taken. It curves around the core rather than through it. Now you could say that the core is dangerous to go through so they go around it. But it is shown that starships can infact get to the core. Eye balling it from their estimate of a 70 year journey going the long way seems to add about another 10 years.

Maybe Janeway made a choice to avoid it to avoid any possible problems involved in that area of space.

Secondly is the fact that she went to the right of it rather than over it. Now granted we can't see 3D but from in show it seems they stayed in the center on the vertical axis.

Thirdly is the amount of cultures they encountered. Now this isn't really a point about the path so much as a pet peeve of mine.

In our section of the Galaxy there are 3 powers (Feds, Klingons, Romulans) who's territory covers over 1 years worth of travel time at least, and several powers who are several months.

But Voyager hardly ever comes across a species that seems to control more than a few light years of space, a week or two of travel at the most.

The only ones I can think of are the Hirogen who don't really control territory so much as just move around, the Kazon, the Borg who don't really count, and the Krenim Empire from year of hell.

There are species with technology far in excess of the Federations yet only seem to control a few systems. That species with the super technology that could have transported them home comes to mind.

It's not a big deal but annoying as I feel it would have added to the show to establish a few species well rather than have the aliens of the week.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Here's another one: Since Voyager knew about the Bajoran wormhole, why didn't they just head for it's other end? That trip is considerably shorter.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Did they know about the Dominion at that point? If so that would be why, if not... maybe they prefered to take the route they knew best. Starfleet would know quite a bit about the Beta quadrant which takes up a large part of their trip but bugger all about the Gamma.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Caretaker" occured on or about stardate 48315.6. The stardate for "The Search" is SD 48213.1. Therefore Voyager departed for the Badlands some time after the Defiant's return from its mission to the Founders, and so knew about the Dominion.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That would probably be why then. Although to go the way they did they had to pass Borg space which seems even more dangerous.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I would think trying to skirt Dominion territory would be wiser than crossing straight through Borg space, but I'm not Captain PMS, so what do I know?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They didn't really know the size and shape of the Dominion so that would have been unwise.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They didn't really know the size or shape of Borg territory, either, but Captain Estrogen decided that the Borg were less dangerous, apparently.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

They didn't know the size and location of the Borg beyond "really big" and "in the Delta Quadrant". I think it's more likely that they knew the Dominion were aggressive and territorial. The Borg were a lot less of a sure thing - from the evidence of TNG they didn't have "territory", so much as a large number of cubes moving through space assimilating anything that got in their way. "Borg space" was simply an area where their ships were a lot more concentrated, and the likelihood of encountering them so high that no other civilisation could survive there.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They may know a quite a bit about the Borg. They have two destroyed cubes floating around that they can salvage. With computer cores and drones to reserch and reverse engineer they could very well know quite a bit about the Borg.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:They may know a quite a bit about the Borg. They have two destroyed cubes floating around that they can salvage. With computer cores and drones to reserch and reverse engineer they could very well know quite a bit about the Borg.
They only had the pieces of one cube at the time - in a lot of very small bits. Given the effectiveness and efficiency of drone self destruct mechanisms, and the mothod of deliberately fusing any important technology demonstrated in "Dark Frontier", I very much doubt that any of those bits would yield much useful information, let alone any ability to reverse-engineer technology (even if the Feds had the industrial base to do so).
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I tend to agree, but the corridors in "contrived Riker fight scene" during Nemesis certainly looked like Borg-inspired tech. I'll see if I can't find an example.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:I tend to agree, but the corridors in "contrived Riker fight scene" during Nemesis certainly looked like Borg-inspired tech. I'll see if I can't find an example.
The only similarities I noticed were the enormous pit several times the height of the ship, and the distinct lack of lightbulbs.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When Voyager destroyed that Borg probe and collected the debre they grabbed several sizable chunks of rubbish. Some the size of a large fridge. And by going through said rubbish they found the information about the damaged cube the raided.

Since a cube is bigger it would stand to reason they would get more. And the fact that it would be a huge priority.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:The only similarities I noticed were the enormous pit several times the height of the ship, and the distinct lack of lightbulbs.
Damn. The main site doesn't have any pics of that sequence; if you own it, skip to Riker's fight scene, and look at the walls in the corridor (after he dives in after the Viceroy). They look an awful lot like Borg tech. After First Contact, the Federation would have access to a lot of working Borg-modified tech on the E-E, so I guess it makes sense they'd keep some of it.