Debate prep

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Debate prep

Post by Teaos »

Ok here it is.

Topic: Should the Federation treat the Marquis as a terrorist group?

Member debaters: Rochey, Teaos, Seafort, Stitch, Monroe, Metalhead, Kendall, KuvahMagh.
Possible debaters (didn't actually confirm they wanted in): Tsukiyumi, Blackstar.

Anyone else want in. Or out?

Team: Depends on who gets picked.

We'll have two captains and they will choose a team of 4 members going one after the other till the teams are full.

If everyone could post which team they would prefer to be on ie yes the Federation should consider them terrorist, or no they shouldn't. This doesn't mean you'll be on that team. The captains can pick who ever they like. I'll pick the captains based off everyone's preference. Also if you wish to nominate a captain go ahead. I was probably just going to give it to highest ranking members of each side unless someone really wants it.

Judges: Graham (Although I have to ask ) And Mikey if he wants to since he doesn't think he can join in.

Judging: Points out of 100 for each post with two judges. Teams consist of 4 members so total score for each team will be 800 points.

How the points are awarded is up to the judges.

Rules: Alternating turns. 1000 word limit per post, 1500 words for the openers and closers of each team. This word count includes outside quotes and references. All information you wish to include in your post must be posted in your post. You cannot give a link and expect people to read it. It is up to the judges whether they accept these as fact so be careful where you get them from.

Speaking order ect is decided upon by the team.

Which ever team chooses its members second gets to decide if they want to be first to post or last.

Canon only. This only includes the 5 series and 10 movies as shown on TV or the theater.

Am I forgetting anything? Anything you would like changed or added?

Last chance for others to join up before I post captains and we choose teams.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I nominate... anyone but me :)
Position wise, I'd like to be on the Yes side, but I could argue either way.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Due to some stuff that's been cropping up in RL lately, I probably won't have the time for this. I'll be happy to act as a judge if you need one, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd be happy to, as well. Bribes can be sent to Mikey, c/o...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I want in... when will this take place?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'll nominate Seafort for a team leader. It doesn't matter to me which side I'm on, I can come up with arguments for and against.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

What will the time limits for posting replies be? We'll need something long enough for people to see the posts and draft responses, but short enough to avoid the debate stagnating.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

24 hours, perhaps?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

24 hours works for me, I'm away from the house for the day, except on weekends so that would give me a chance to get up to speed and reply. As to the side, I can do either.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As far as "judging," are we to publicly determine whether particular points/usages/evidence is valid, or reserve such opinions to use in determining an outcome?
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

24 hours time limit to make the replying post. But the faster it comes out the faster the debate happens so...

You sure you don't want in Rochey? 24 hours is pretty long and you can have the majority of your post written in advance then just write the last few hundred as a reply to something the other team said.

The judges can give points how ever they see fit but you have to post your results at the end so we can see their is no byast on your part. Probably best to work out some system to giving the points.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Full disclosure. Got it.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Another question - where will the debates take place? The DITL forum, the individual forum best suited to them, or a new Debate forum?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I was thinking first one here and if everything works out then give it its own place. I've got a feeling something isnt going to work so I'm not going to rush into anything.

Another thing I thought of.

Results will be posted 48 hours after last post (aprox) you have the first 24 hours to lodge any formal complaints you might have about the opposition ie posts to long, dubious references ect.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Are we judging each particular response, or just the debate as a whole?
as Bull offed Custer