Moderators?

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Moderators?

Post by stitch626 »

At the top of each topic page, it says Moderators: none. Who are the moderators and why does it always say none?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I always kind of assumed that we are all moderators, and should moderate ourselves. Sounds kind of zen, now that I think of it...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think it is just Graham and Ian, it probably means that they aren't browsing that area of the Forum at that time I would assume.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Their status seems to be "Administrators".
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Thank you, it just bothered me...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

To clarify a bit more, Graham and Ian are admins. There are no mods at the moment, because we haven't really seen the need for them, though I think Graham mentioned he was thinking of apointing one or two sometime before.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I believe we have none at the moment because there arent enough members to warrent a mod. Two admins can handle the number of active members we have.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

What would the job of a moderator be?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

stitch626 wrote:What would the job of a moderator be?
make sure everyone is following the rules basically.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty much. Enforce the rules, make sure threads are in the apropriate places, making sure things don't get out of hand, etc. Just keeping an eye on the place, basicaly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Next :?:
Who would get the job? Would it be based on rank (which seems to make the most sense)?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I expect it'd be based partially on rank, and partially on the ability to do the job while maintaining impartiality. There's nothing worse on a forum than a mod who disciplines or bans members because they've got a grudge, rather than enforcing the rules evenly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. It would have to be someone who won't abuse authority. Remember, mods have the power to edit or delete posts and lock or delete threads. You don't want someone who's a complete jerk running around with that power and getting his/her own back on people they don't like.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I am an ex-mod of the Total War heaven forums at a time when there were roughly 1200-1500 active members. It's no cakewalk, everyone expects you to be reading everything instantly. It's pretty much a thankless job where however you do it, someone thinks you were biased or being too harsh, or too lenient. I would say that as far as volunteer jobs go it was pretty stressful.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the worst case we had is one in which I was unfortunately involved, and Graham pretty much took care ofit. Aside from that, we pretty much handled our own deal in the "April 4th, 1968" thread, and have seemed to be able to conduct ourselves.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer