Type 9 Shuttlecraft Specs

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
jnadreth
Petty officer third class

Type 9 Shuttlecraft Specs

Post by jnadreth »

As it stands DITL has the top speed for the Type 9 at Warp 4. In "Threshold" Paris gets the shuttle to Warp 7 before Torres tells him to activate the new engines. Paris describes this as being "Critical Velocity", I assume this could only be held for a short amount of time with the unmodified engines before a core breach occurred. My geuss would be that Warp 7 could only be maitained for a minute or two and that the more reasonable speed of Warp 6 could be maintained for 12 hours-pretty muh as what the site said before the stats were changed.
"I have a starship, now I'm heading through a wormhole to a galaxy very far away and in the distant past"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good catch, although who knows what the mods for transwarp may have done to the "standard" warp performance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

Mr Paris did say he was bringing the new engines on-line once he reached Warp 7 and also it was said in the episode that the new version of Dylithium was more stable at high warp, warp 7 is no longer considered high warp as of the 2360's due to ships being capable of warp 9.6 or higher. Its because of the words "New Engines" that this speed can be considered standard because Paris had to activate the system before going faster rather than it being an active system from the moment he went to warp. I still don't think the shuttle can sustain warp 7 for very long without modifications and warp 6 for a shuttle specifically designed for a ship capable of warp 9.975+ does sound about right.
"I have a starship, now I'm heading through a wormhole to a galaxy very far away and in the distant past"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

True. I thought your question was more towards "Why does this shuttle have better 'standard' warp performance than another of the same type?" In which case, it could be attributed to alterations to the coils or field dynamics (required by the new transwarp engines,) new intermix ratios, new crystal grid, etc., etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

It is also possible that the new engines could not break the warp barrier on their own???

They said the new dylithium was only stable at high warp which would mean low warp would not be attainable so the standard warp drive on the shuttle would be needed to get the ship to a high enough warp speed to activate the new engines which = warp 7

A general problem would be that you would need to swap the dilithium out with the new dilitium mid flight-you would need either some sort of interchanger or 2 warp cores with one kind of crystals in each to switch over. This episode is so flawed.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Flawed... I wouldn't say flawed... more like terribly insanely poorly written.
:evil:
We could have a whole thread about what was wrong with this ep.
Could be interesting.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There's always the best thing ever to come out of Voyager: OVEG.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

stitch626 wrote:Flawed... I wouldn't say flawed... more like terribly insanely poorly written.
:evil:
We could have a whole thread about what was wrong with this ep.
Could be interesting.
Bad choice of words on my part-The engineering was flawed in regards to the 2 sets of dylithium is what I should have said. Another thing is that infinite velocity you occupy all points in space-then wouldn't you hit everything at infinite velocity, destroying everything?????? We should really get back to the shuttle rather than the episode :)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

As to the shuttle, i agree with you about the speed should be higher.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

I think the specs need to be changed to what they originally were as they were more or less bang on to begin with as the Type 9 had Warp 5.8 (A lttle off the mark but close) the Type 10 had Warp 6.5 and the type 11 had Warp 7 as their respective top speeds. Considering Paris got the type 9 to warp 7 I would suggest a rethink on the other shuttles top speeds.

Here's a list of shuttles and anything needed to be changed

Type 1: Warp 6.2 (Cochrane) needs to be brought down as it is way too high, I would suggest Warp 2.28 (Cochrane)

Type 3: Needs a Warp drive, I suggest Warp 2.155 (Slower than the Type 1 due to more power for weapons and shields)

Type 6: No Problems

Type 7:No problems

Type 8: This is where the changes need to begin from, this one needs about Warp 4

Type 9: Warp 7

Type 10: Around Warp 7

Type 11: Around Warp 7

Delta Flyer: No problems

Type 15: No problems

Type 18: This shuttlepod needs a Warp Drive or the DS9 season 3 ep "Destiny" will not make sense as the Pod created a subspace field to move the fragments. I would suggest Warp 1.2 as it was unable to travel very far eg from the Defiant as shown in "The Search pt2"
Last edited by jnadreth on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I largely agree with your analysis jnadreth, but a few points if I may.
jnadreth wrote:Type 1: Warp 6.2 (Cochrane) needs to be brought down as it is way too high, I would suggest Warp 2.1 (TNG)

Type 3: Needs a Warp drive, I suggest Warp 2 (Slower than the Type 1 due to more power for weapons and shields)
The numbers sound about right, but they'd have to be noted in Cochrane scale, since that was what was being used during the 23rd century. At those sorts of speeds there isn't much difference anyway.
Type 18: This shuttlepod needs a Warp Drive or the DS9 season 3 ep "Destiny" will not make sense as the Pod created a subspace field to move the fragments. I would suggest Warp 1.2 as it was unable to travel very far eg from the Defiant as shown in "The Search pt2"
While I agree that it needs warp, as it's depicted as having Defiant-esque nacelles and I don't see how such a visual similarity could come about unless they served the same purpose, your reasoning is flawed. Impulse engines can themselves create a subspace field, as suggested in the TM, and shown by the fact that a GCS saucer section as roughly the same mobility under impulse as the engineering hull, despite the lack of nacelles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

Flawed!!!!!!! :lol:

Heres what Sisko said

SISKO
A shuttlepod could maneuver between
them... and its warp drive should be
able to create a large enough subspace
field...

You can read all the TNG Aand DS9 scripts at this site

http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329/

On the matter of Warp Scales USS Enterprise NCC-1701 can at least do Warp 10.1 in the Cochrane scale so I rated the Type 1 as being able to push Warp 2.28 in Cochrane Scale (Warp 2.1 TNG scale). Also Starfleets warp history would not make sense if they suddenly jumped from Warp 8 Cochrane (Or Warp 6.5 TNG) in the 2264 to Warp 9 (TNG) in 2293 with USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B.
Last edited by jnadreth on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It was flawed... except for that. :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

jnadreth wrote:Flawed!!!!!!! :lol:

Heres what Sisko said

SISKO
A shuttlepod could maneuver between
them... and its warp drive should be
able to create a large enough subspace
field...

You can read all the TNG Aand DS9 scripts at this site

http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329/
My apologies - I was unaware of the fact that Sisko specifically mentioned the use of warp drive to create the field.

Nonetheless, my point that the presence of a subspace field does not necessarily require warp drive stands, although obviously the latter did indeed create the former in this case.
On the matter of Warp Scales USS Enterprise NCC-1701 can at least do Warp 8 in the TNG scale as Kirk had managed to push the engines past Warp 10 in Cochrane scale for short surations so I rated the Type 1 as being able to push Warp 2.1 TNG scale or Warp 2.28 in Cochrane Scale. Also Starfleet's warp history would not make sense if they suddenly jumped from Warp 8 Cochrane (Or Warp 6.5 TNG) in the 2260's to Warp 9 (TNG) in 2293 with USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B
All true, but I reiterate that the speeds of TOS-era ships should be measured in Cochrane scale, due to the fact that that was the system in use. It's much the same as if I were to quote the price of an item in the US I would quote it in dollars, not pounds, with the latter in parentheses.
jnadreth

Post by jnadreth »

Edited my posts accordingly to be Cochrane Scale. On the Impulse thingy I agree with u- Its just I already knew what Sisko said during the ep :D

When does the use of Cochrane scale end when ships here at DITL have been specified???? Movie Era perhaps cuz they did radically alter the engines in ST:1 so you could say the recalibration of the Warp Scale happened at the same time.

You know Starfleet will have to go back to the Cochrane Scale eventually because the Captains will get fed up of saying "Helm set a course for Blah di blah Warp Factor 9.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" and they will want to say Warp 1234 instead (Warp Speed Not To Scale) as it saves time in a combat situation or if the Captain gets fed up repeating themselves.