Voyager gets a new captain.....

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Voyager gets a new captain.....

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, since this isn't a "my sci-fi universe can beat up yours" scenario, I figure that this is technicaly allowed.

Okay, Q decides to spare the crew of the USS Voyager from their insane captain, and replace her with another. Q pops off to the Battlestar Galactica universe (the new one) and whisks Commander Adama away as well.
Now, Q briefs Adama on the situation, on the crew, and on the technology, and puts Adama in as Captain of the Voyager just after the Caretaker's Array was blown up. Q promises Adama that if he can get the Voyager back to Federation space, he'll snap his fingers and make all the Cylons disappear.
How does the situation proceed from here?

Conversely, what happens to the Battlestar Galactica and the fleet when Janeway replaces Adama as Commander of the Galactica?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager gets a new captain.....

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...Conversely, what happens to the Battlestar Galactica and the fleet when Janeway replaces Adama as Commander of the Galactica?
I imagine they'd be pretty upset. Then they'd probably all die due to gross incompetance.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager gets a new captain.....

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Conversely, what happens to the Battlestar Galactica and the fleet when Janeway replaces Adama as Commander of the Galactica?
Tigh becomes Commander thanks to promotion by execution.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Heh, quite probably.
But how would Adama do on the Voyager?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Heh, quite probably.
Excellent, once the pansy's get over the fact that he is a military officer and treats his crew as such. They head home by the direct route not stopping to gawk at a rogue planet or whatever cloud is along the way, like a Greyhound milk run. He's smart enough (and has) to run when their outmatched.

Hell he would probably order which ever crew member Q chooses to knock boots with to do it so they could get home.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Rochey wrote:Heh, quite probably.
Excellent, once the pansy's get over the fact that he is a military officer and treats his crew as such. They head home by the direct route not stopping to gawk at a rogue planet or whatever cloud is along the way, like a Greyhound milk run. He's smart enough (and has) to run when their outmatched.

Hell he would probably order which ever crew member Q chooses to knock boots with to do it so they could get home.
No exploration does mean they get home much, much, much later of course.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why later? They know where Earth is, and he'd be much more willing to take risks with some of the technology they pick up. For example, I'm willing to bet he'd throw Voyager to Warp 10 the moment they figure out how to get it working, and just leave a message to tell whichever ship finds them what happened and how to make them human again.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Duskofdead wrote:
How about some explanation on that.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think Adama would do just fine as Voyager captain, assuming the crew accepted him (which they wouldn't). He'd certainly have given the Kazon a hell of a spanking.

Janeway on Galactica... I think she'd do okay actually.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:
How about some explanation on that.
They wouldn't find the slingshot technology.
They wouldn't meet the alien who could "translate" their message from Starfleet. (Never find the Dauntless, never use slipstream.)
Might (this one is a maybe) never use the Vadwaar subspace corridors to get closer to home.
Wouldn't have mounted (the perhaps admittedly stupid) attack on the Borg sphere to get a transwarp coil.

Most of the things that dramatically cut down their trip home were BECAUSE they dawdled and didn't just follow a straight course for earth.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Duskofdead wrote:
They wouldn't find the slingshot technology.
They wouldn't meet the alien who could "translate" their message from Starfleet. (Never find the Dauntless, never use slipstream.)
Might (this one is a maybe) never use the Vadwaar subspace corridors to get closer to home.
Wouldn't have mounted (the perhaps admittedly stupid) attack on the Borg sphere to get a transwarp coil.

Most of the things that dramatically cut down their trip home were BECAUSE they dawdled and didn't just follow a straight course for earth.
Perhaps but it's also going to result in people not getting killed as often and random bullfuckery being pulled on the Quadrants inhabitants.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's also the fact that Adam is quite simply more foccused on his mission than Janeway. He'd be more than willing to do what it takes to get home. Heck, Janeway could have gotten her crew home by sleeping with Q. Instead, she told him to take a hike and spent the next few years getting more people killed as she wandered her way across the quadrant.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Actually, I think he would have attacked the Borg to get a transwarp coil. And I believe his monomania (on getting home, in this case) would have served to provide the CORRECT mix between ignoring every little distraction which Janeway went off after and going off after the truly helpful things.

Janeway would be sharing a cell with a Cylon in a matter of hours.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well I have no clue who Adama is BUT I will say that Janeway did a better job than Admiral Ozzle could have.

"We have dropped Voyager out of light speed and are attempting to..."

"We are the Borg... blah blah blah"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:Well I have no clue who Adama is BUT I will say that Janeway did a better job than Admiral Ozzle could have.

"We have dropped Voyager out of light speed and are attempting to..."

"We are the Borg... blah blah blah"
Admiral Ozzel didn't actually do anything wrong other than piss off Vader, he figured that if they surprised the Rebels they would be good to go. It is a time honoured military tactic, if they knew about the shield than he wouldn't have done that.