Ahsoka | Teaser Trailer | Disney+ (Spoilers)

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Ahsoka | Teaser Trailer | Disney+ (Spoilers)

Post by Nutso »

***Spoilers welcomed into this thread. Feel free to discuss the episodes, speculate where you think it's going, what you want from the show, etc.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Ahsoka | Teaser Trailer | Disney+

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 1: excellent action and cgi, acting is uninteresting either due to writing or performance...still early going so will see how it progresses over the full 8 episodes.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 2: pretty much same as above...sigh!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 pm Episode 1: excellent action and cgi, acting is uninteresting either due to writing or performance...still early going so will see how it progresses over the full 8 episodes.
Some of the critiques from early reviews was that Rosario Dawson's acting was lethargic. No energy. While they were praising Natasha Liu Bordizzo's performance. I can see why since Ahsoka is on a quest from point A to point B, while Sabine is actually undergoing a journey internally. At least so far in this show.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Ahsoka | Teaser Trailer | Disney+ (Spoilers)

Post by Nutso »

SO what did y'all think of the 4th episode?
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Appears to be setting up the possibility of a 'multiverse' situation stemming from her being in the 'world berween worlds'.
They will be screening episode 5 in several movie theaters due to it being so 'important' to a possible franchaise re-set.
My take is: still dull, action still good, Ray Stevenson (RIP) is a terrific baddie, but leave the multiverse crap to marvel (hate it there anyway).
Hope Filoni can survive if this bombs more than it already has.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

T'Pau wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:26 am Appears to be setting up the possibility of a 'multiverse' situation stemming from her being in the 'world berween worlds'.
They will be screening episode 5 in several movie theaters due to it being so 'important' to a possible franchaise re-set.
My take is: still dull, action still good, Ray Stevenson (RIP) is a terrific baddie, but leave the multiverse crap to marvel (hate it there anyway).
Hope Filoni can survive if this bombs more than it already has.
I didn't watch the cartoons, so I don't know anything about the Star Wars multiverse. I didn't know that was possible in Star Wars. I've been forced to watch videos summarizing "The Clone Wars," and "Rebels" to understand these references.
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I didn't watch the cartoons either, so sought out other sources to try to figure out WTF was happening.

A friend compared Andor and Ahsoka: Andor is a multiphasic quantum combination lock...Ahsoka is a zip tie...one is complicated and interesting, the other is simple and ....dull.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 5: More action refrains from the cartoons (leaving those of us who didn't watch them clueless), a nod/theft of an idea from LOTRs (you'll know it when you see it), a moment late into the episode which I leaned over to my fella and said one word (Jonah)...'nuff said. Why they believed this was cinema-screen worthy escapes me completely. Felt like a director/writer in search of a story while sorting old ideas in hopes of inspiration, falling back on fan service. Makes it difficult to believe the same mind gave us The Mandalorian, with such success.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:10 pm Episode 5: More action refrains from the cartoons (leaving those of us who didn't watch them clueless), a nod/theft of an idea from LOTRs (you'll know it when you see it), a moment late into the episode which I leaned over to my fella and said one word (Jonah)...'nuff said. Why they believed this was cinema-screen worthy escapes me completely. Felt like a director/writer in search of a story while sorting old ideas in hopes of inspiration, falling back on fan service. Makes it difficult to believe the same mind gave us The Mandalorian, with such success.
This show is too much insider Star Wars. The Mandalorian Season 1 had to start from nowhere, except lore. FIloni and Favreau were forced to show us this new character's characterization. Ahsoka is dropping characters and continuity on our heads. It really doesn't help that Rosario Dawson is delivering dialogue like one of the Prequel Jedi. Emotionless, monotone? I didn't know she had an internal struggle since she was neither happy nor sad. Sabine was the only character shown with an internal struggle- loneliness. And that loneliness drove her to giving the antagonists what they wanted. I have to listen to Star Wars YouTubers explain the episode to me since they're far more familiar with The Clone Wars and Rebels, and therefore Ahsoka herself, than I am.
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 6: much better (less main character dragging down everything)..plot moved along at a good pace, introduction of the Big Bad (who I had to look elsewhere to find out his backstory), and this shows version of Ewoks and Taun Tauns minus the snow (likely to later destroy them and make the audience go "awwwww nooooo").
Certainly hope they use the final two episodes remaining to shore up loads of loose ends, and deliver a good finale.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 7: if you've seen ROTJ with the big Ewok fighting the empire with sticks and stones, you've seen this episode (some of it frame for frame with diff weapons)..plenty of taunting between baddies and goodies with no real resolution (another season? do we care?)..one more episode to tie up an underwhelming series desperately in need of better acting/scripts/plot.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I can't believe we heard so much about how Sabine misses Ezra, and this is what we got? Action fight scenes that develops Shin Hatti. She's the abandoned one now. I don't know anything about Ezra Bridger except he doesn't want a lightsaber anymore. His lightsaber! Three Filoni creations are together, are we going to get some introspection scenes with them together? I have to watch YouTube again to learn about Ezra. I've heard fan speculation that they think Ezra and Shin will eventually become a couple. People are so bored that they are fantasizing a romance that has no basis except Shin tried to kill Ezra and that reminds them of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade.

It's not a terrible show at all. I just wish there was focus on the characters interacting with each other, so I can learn about them. I don't see why there's a need for the Hera Syndulla drama.
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Episode 8: if you don't know deep things from Clone Wars, etc, this episode is a complete waste of time. Main objectives of the series are not met (bad guy not stopped, good guy 'lost' again), and the same dull dialogue and acting. After doing a deep dive into reviews and explanations, I know what happened now, and all the 'important' moments and what they mean moving forward. Sadly, I don't much care.

Mandalorian was a completely new set of characters, with little moments to connect to the canon. Boba Fett was a continuation of sorts of the same universe, where the best moments were those that had Mando in them. Andor was a decent prequel, where we knew going in where things were heading, but still enjoyed expanding the story. Obi Wan filled in the time between prequels and the main films nicely.

Maybe it is just me, but the further we get away from connections to the Lucas-verse, the more tenuous and scatterbrained the plots/characters become. Mandalorian had a great framework of how to build a new 'world' within the old, with fresh characters that everyone gets to learn about from the beginning. Hoping they look back to that type of storytelling moving forward, or they risk losing a swath of fans in the rush to expand the Filoni-verse.