Voyagers premise and Janeway "stupidity"

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:
The Tuvix thing reeeeealy bothered me. Janeway shares with Will Riker the honour of being the only "good" Starfleet officer to deliberately murder a person.
When was this?
The episode Tuvix. Janeway kills Tuvix to get Tuvok and Neelix back.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
The Tuvix thing reeeeealy bothered me. Janeway shares with Will Riker the honour of being the only "good" Starfleet officer to deliberately murder a person.
When was this?
That was bad, i'll give you that. I just don't see why everyone hates her SOOOOOO much.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Picard had backbone. He went against orders everal times which could of cost him his job.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Reliant121 wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote: When was this?
That was bad, i'll give you that. I just don't see why everyone hates her SOOOOOO much.
And Riker?

Are you talking about the 2 clones he phasered in their sleep?

I'm still rather saddened that the nickname Clonekiller Riker never caught on.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I don't think the problem with Janeway is one of backbone per se; rather, as I and then Bryan have mentioned, it's the fact that she applies what backbone she has in completely inconsistent ways, and even at cross purposes from one ep to the next.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Prime example would be Series 6...Void. She, even though it didn't mean getting home quicker, stuck to her morals and denied herself and the ship the advantages of stealing from other vessels, the home tactic of the enivronment.
Haven't seen it, so I'll just take your word for it.

Thing is, though, Picard was more than ready to humble himself to save his crew. When they encountered the Borg, Picard set asside his ego and begged Q to save his crew. Janeway, on the other hand, refused to sleep with Q to get her crew home. Also, I can't imagine Janeway begging anyone for help.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
When was this?
Correction. When did Riker blatantly kill someone. I remember Tuvix. Sorry.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

That can't be the only murder.

Picard shot his future self.

Worf killed Duras - granted it was a fight to the death, but he was down on the ground, and as a Starfleet Officer Worf shouldn't have done it. He also snapped Weyouns neck in a fit of anger.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:That can't be the only murder.

Picard shot his future self.

Worf killed Duras - granted it was a fight to the death, but he was down on the ground, and as a Starfleet Officer Worf shouldn't have done it. He also snapped Weyouns neck in a fit of anger.
Weyoun gets a pass considering he's an enemy commander and Worf was a POW.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

And for the fact he had it coming :)

But still, it was purely out of anger and was in no way an attempt to escape. As Damar said, Worf should really have killed him instead. Just as well he didn't really, it could have changed the outcome of the war.

Is it disturbing to share Damars amusement at Weyouns death?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:But still, it was purely out of anger and was in no way an attempt to escape.
True, but there are no rules against killing enemy commanders during wartime, and even when said commanders can be cloned the time required to grow a replacement may be critical. Also, IIRC Worf's standing up to Weyoun and killing him was part of the reason Damar decided to grow a spine, so it ultimately proved critical to Fed success.
Probably, but Weyoun was being a gobby, arrogant idiot in deliberately provoking a Klingon - after all, self restraint isn't the species' most notable trait. Maybe he was fed up with that body and wanted a change?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:And for the fact he had it coming :)

But still, it was purely out of anger and was in no way an attempt to escape. As Damar said, Worf should really have killed him instead. Just as well he didn't really, it could have changed the outcome of the war.

A POW is supposed to make every possible effort to escape. If that's not possible than they are to hinder the enemy as much as they can IE: prison riots, sabotoging camp facilities, etc. Killing Weyoun definetly falls into this category.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I agree, but that wasn't Worfs motivation. If it was, he would have gone for Damar.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:I agree, but that wasn't Worfs motivation. If it was, he would have gone for Damar.
Their both legitimate targets. And didn't Damar have a little chat with him before this?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, Riker was indeed a killer of clones! What was amusing was the DS9 episode "A Man Alone" where Odo specifically states "Killing your own clone is still murder!" to a prisoner. Guess Riker never got that memo...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...