Trek and your everyday life

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Trek and your everyday life

Post by thelordharry »

Do you find Trek influences your everyday life?

If so, how? Explain the ways it does. Whether as a metaphor of Trek or actual canon stuff.

My bedside Amazon Alexa responds to 'computer'. I cannot not say it in a Voyage Home Scotty voice. Not only that, but I've created a routine that when I say, 'computer. end programme', it effectively does the 'goodnight' routine and switches off all the wi-fi lights, plugs etc. For a little variety I sometimes pronounce 'programme' oddly, like Reg Barclay (progrum).

When I'm driving and some arsehat cuts me up, 'I yell, 'prepare for ramming speed!!!' in a Worf voice. But not before looking over to my wife and saying, 'perhaps today IS a good day to die' (she's into Trek too).

On the rare occasions she announces she has a cold, I'll say, 'a cold what?' in android fashion.

Every time she says something mildly devious, I'll look at her with fey surprise and exclaim, 'why, my dear, I do believe there is hope for you yet' Andrew Robinson style.

Someone's annoyed her? DS9 holodeck baseball, 'you must find him and kill him'.

Cannot hear the Rigoletto, La donna è mobile without, 'Tuvok I understand'. Even the fish begin to weep.

I could go on forever...

So what are the ways Trek follows you around in everyday life?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Trek and your everyday life

Post by T'Pau »

Before I met Graham, I enjoyed Trek in a general way: watched the tv series and films, enjoyed the exhibit/ride in Vegas.

After I met Graham, and he showed me the forum..I became more interested in the small details about the shows and actors, and we chatted/spoke sometimes 5 days a week for a long, long time about Trek and lots of other topics while enjoying terrible movies at the same time (Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus for example).

Since his passing, I have visited the site more often, and commented more on threads, as well as starting a few. So that is a daily Trek activity.

Have enjoyed and not enjoyed the nuTrek tv series on offer, which I have lots of conversations about with my guy at home.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

How nice! :D

Hey, you went to the Vegas Trek exhibit! I had the pleasure in 2007 when it was still at the Hilton. I often think about it. I got a few terrific photos of me in a Borg alcove and in the NCC1701D captain's chair. And not to mention Quark's Bar. The 3D rides were awesome, but I'm afraid I got told off during the hydraulic shuttle ride. I started vigorously prodding the control panel to my left before telling my wife I was rerouting auxiliary power through to structural integrity. A voice came over the speaker, 'Sir, please do not touch the exhibit'. And wow, the actors walking around dressed up and playing the part of Trek aliens. There was a Borg and a Klingon waving a batleth. Every time the Borg came near us, I'd say to the Mrs, 'don't let them touch you! in the best Patrick Stewart voice I could do. And I still wear my NX01 cap, although it's looking a little tired now. I remember writing, 'peace and long life' in the guest book just before I left. Man, that was a great day.
to have succeeded.”
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

T'Pau wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:48 pm Have enjoyed and not enjoyed the nuTrek tv series on offer, which I have lots of conversations about with my guy at home.
It's not really Star Trek anymore, but I think we need to get over it and just accept that time, TV and societal attitudes have changed, and we'll never get back to what was. I gave up on Discovery after season 3 and probably won't return. Just watched all of S2 Picard and while I'm glad I watched it, I also think that you shouldn't think about it too hard because as a piece of TV, it was a ultimately a load of old cobblers. But I'd watch Patrick Stewart reading the back of cereal boxes and the labels from grocery tins anyway, so I'm slightly biased.

And I'm sorry. I'm just not interested in a Trek where the Federation, and particularly Earth, is no longer a Utopia. That's too important to the core ethos of Trek to go backwards on. Oh, and please stop ramming woke down our throats. You're preaching to the choir here, man.
to have succeeded.”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I saw the one man production of 'A Christmas Carol' with PS on Broadway..at one point, he lost his place and the audience knew it..so he broke the fourth wall and said 'it happens' and laughed and got right back to business. Great show, much better than the full tv version by a long shot..

During a long stint of work away from home, a friend with the same fondness for PS as I have, sent me the Capt Picard small action figure, to 'keep me company in the dressing room' and an 8x10 color postcard of said Capt along with it. Much later on, I tracked down the same size Locutus figure, to join the original in my to-go bag..

So I get your affinity for the man, I do indeed :D :D
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Star Trek has literally saved my life several times over. I had an absolutely shit time as a child, and it hasn't gotten much better, and at the age of eight when I had no one to turn to, I found Star Trek. It inspired me to create my own universe, and I have been doing that now for more than 30 years. I also have variants of that based on Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc, but Star Trek started it all. It all involves thousands of spreadsheets, and I am slowly building a Wiki.

I have at several points in my life been extremely close to giving up, the only thing that got me through was clinging onto my universe, and through it, Star Trek.

I love Star Trek with every ounce of my being, even though I am not so enamoured with the newer stuff I watch/will watch every iteration at least once. TNG/DS9/VOY and the first 10 films I have watched many times over over the years.

I spoke to Graham a little bit about worldbuilding because of his Coalition Universe, and I also made a friend on here who I have been talking to for ~7 years now, though he doesn't come on here much, we have collaborated on several projects and still do.

Star Trek is still one of the programs I can watch and be moved to tears at times, especially lately but I think I am just over emotional at present due to my mental state and lack of sleep.

I was lucky enough in 2018 to meet René Auberjonois and Alexander Siddig and get their autographs. I don't often get out, but a fellow Star Trek fan friend of mine was going to the convention in Birmingham, UK, and invited me along, and it was one of the best days of my life. For the first time I wasn't worried about all the other people around, I just enjoyed my time, and it was like being on a starbase or a cosmopolitan planet, with Starfleet officers and aliens everywhere. I even got a picture of me on the Bridge of the Enterprise-D.

I don't know much about what my future holds, but I do know that wherever I go, whatever I do, Star Trek will be a part of it.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

T'Pau wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:05 am I saw the one man production of 'A Christmas Carol' with PS on Broadway..at one point, he lost his place and the audience knew it..so he broke the fourth wall and said 'it happens' and laughed and got right back to business. Great show, much better than the full tv version by a long shot..

During a long stint of work away from home, a friend with the same fondness for PS as I have, sent me the Capt Picard small action figure, to 'keep me company in the dressing room' and an 8x10 color postcard of said Capt along with it. Much later on, I tracked down the same size Locutus figure, to join the original in my to-go bag..

So I get your affinity for the man, I do indeed :D :D
What a double coincidence! I too had the pleasure of watching Patrick Stewart in his one-man production of 'A Christmas Carol'. It must have been 15+ years ago in the West End of London. I'm sure we share treasured memories of our respective performance :) . I remember a few years later when I saw the PS film version of the same, how much of his one-man show was actually verbatim in the film.

And I also have a Locutus action figure on my desk too! Is it this one?
https://imgur.com/yoHi90K
Last edited by thelordharry on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
to have succeeded.”
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:54 am Star Trek has literally saved my life several times over. I had an absolutely shit time as a child, and it hasn't gotten much better, and at the age of eight when I had no one to turn to, I found Star Trek. It inspired me to create my own universe, and I have been doing that now for more than 30 years. I also have variants of that based on Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc, but Star Trek started it all. It all involves thousands of spreadsheets, and I am slowly building a Wiki.

I have at several points in my life been extremely close to giving up, the only thing that got me through was clinging onto my universe, and through it, Star Trek.

I love Star Trek with every ounce of my being, even though I am not so enamoured with the newer stuff I watch/will watch every iteration at least once. TNG/DS9/VOY and the first 10 films I have watched many times over over the years.

I spoke to Graham a little bit about worldbuilding because of his Coalition Universe, and I also made a friend on here who I have been talking to for ~7 years now, though he doesn't come on here much, we have collaborated on several projects and still do.

Star Trek is still one of the programs I can watch and be moved to tears at times, especially lately but I think I am just over emotional at present due to my mental state and lack of sleep.

I was lucky enough in 2018 to meet René Auberjonois and Alexander Siddig and get their autographs. I don't often get out, but a fellow Star Trek fan friend of mine was going to the convention in Birmingham, UK, and invited me along, and it was one of the best days of my life. For the first time I wasn't worried about all the other people around, I just enjoyed my time, and it was like being on a starbase or a cosmopolitan planet, with Starfleet officers and aliens everywhere. I even got a picture of me on the Bridge of the Enterprise-D.

I don't know much about what my future holds, but I do know that wherever I go, whatever I do, Star Trek will be a part of it.
Good on you my friend, I understand your sorrow and I share your joy. I treasure similar photos and memories, albeit a few London ones maybe a decade or so ago rather than the Midlands :) .
TNG Trek is the only template I'm really interested in for the future. I know it's impossible because mankind is too intrinsically selfish to ever get there (not to mention the physical impossibility of most of it) but it's my perfect make-believe land.
to have succeeded.”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Star Trek brings me comfort, and building my old scale-models was really fun. I'm glad i've got pretty much all of it on DVD so I can go back and revisit it.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 am Star Trek brings me comfort, and building my old scale-models was really fun. I'm glad i've got pretty much all of it on DVD so I can go back and revisit it.
A...DVD? Is that, like, one of these?

to have succeeded.”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

thelordharry wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:10 am
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 am Star Trek brings me comfort, and building my old scale-models was really fun. I'm glad i've got pretty much all of it on DVD so I can go back and revisit it.

Ooh, funny. :p I prefer physical media to online or files or whatever. It's just my thing.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:10 pm
thelordharry wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:10 am

Ooh, funny. :p I prefer physical media to online or files or whatever. It's just my thing.
I used to be like that too. Then I found out that my media on the computer takes up no space whereas to have a comparable library in my living room would probably take up the whole room.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:09 am
I used to be like that too. Then I found out that my media on the computer takes up no space whereas to have a comparable library in my living room would probably take up the whole room.
Fair enough. I've got the room for it, and like the look of it., Plus just feels more secure to me.