Why in the USA?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why in the USA?

Post by IanKennedy »

Ah, I see. My set only has a single ratchet. Pretty sure it is 3/8". Obviously it has to be the same size on both the metric and imperial sockets.

Another thing that is always imperial is the thread on a tripod mount on cameras. That also comes in two sizes, 1/4" and 3/8".
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:43 am Ah, I see. My set only has a single ratchet. Pretty sure it is 3/8". Obviously it has to be the same size on both the metric and imperial sockets.

Another thing that is always imperial is the thread on a tripod mount on cameras. That also comes in two sizes, 1/4" and 3/8".
Yeah thats the most common size to use for ratchets.

Threads is another. For general use, there are two sizes, course and fine. But there are a ton of threads which are metric and imperial. I kinda wonder how that works overseas.

I know for the most part aircraft even built overseas use imperial or SAE with only non aircraft critical fittings (interior stuff) would use metric. Specifically I am talking about corporate type of Jets like Gulfstream, Citations, Phenoms etc.

Have you been to the US? I have heard recently your fast food is better than ours even if it's the same company.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, we've been to the US many times. Miami loads to join cruises and to visit, down the Florida keys etc. New York for a few days. California at least three times, from San Diego to LA to San Francisco even up to the Oregon boarder. Vegas as part of that and directly. Grand Canyon twice. Yellowstone and all the way down to Salt Lake City. Chicago, but only on transfers. Hawaii too.

As for fast food it is certainly faster in the US. I don't have salad and anytime you ask for a burger without here they seem to start completely from scratch and you end up waiting a few mins as they cook from scratch. In the US they seem to have things ready to make, without them being cold. They just make one up and I'm done. The other thing you get here is when you order a drink you get one, rather than being given a cup that you fill yourself. In the US you can go and get more if you like. In the UK that is very rare. Although a few spots McDonald's have started to move the machines out into the public areas. Pretty much you have to go buy another drink.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:02 pm Yes, we've been to the US many times. Miami loads to join cruises and to visit, down the Florida keys etc. New York for a few days. California at least three times, from San Diego to LA to San Francisco even up to the Oregon boarder. Vegas as part of that and directly. Grand Canyon twice. Yellowstone and all the way down to Salt Lake City. Chicago, but only on transfers. Hawaii too.

As for fast food it is certainly faster in the US. I don't have salad and anytime you ask for a burger without here they seem to start completely from scratch and you end up waiting a few mins as they cook from scratch. In the US they seem to have things ready to make, without them being cold. They just make one up and I'm done. The other thing you get here is when you order a drink you get one, rather than being given a cup that you fill yourself. In the US you can go and get more if you like. In the UK that is very rare. Although a few spots McDonald's have started to move the machines out into the public areas. Pretty much you have to go buy another drink.
When you say start from scratch I am assuming they don't assemble the burger from pre-made ingredients as opposed to actually making the burger patty, cutting the bun etc.

I am assuming you mean that they already have it made before you show up. McDonalds and Burger King does that. The slightly higher end places like Wendy's and Carl Jr/Hardys doesn't do that. In fact The latter mentioned will actually tell you it will take a bit longer.

I only mention fast food because I have seen and heard that fast food is better over the pond
My two times I tried fast food outside the US was in the Navy. First time it was McDonalds in Dubai and they were advertising a camel burger. Had to try it. I will say that I tasted not a single difference. Second time, I was shore patrol in Lisbon and had a beer in a plastic cup.

How do you guys feel about the US's micro brewery beers?

Here in the US, you pretty much are getting a micro brewery per town in each state.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:44 am When you say start from scratch I am assuming they don't assemble the burger from pre-made ingredients as opposed to actually making the burger patty, cutting the bun etc.

I am assuming you mean that they already have it made before you show up. McDonalds and Burger King does that. The slightly higher end places like Wendy's and Carl Jr/Hardys doesn't do that. In fact The latter mentioned will actually tell you it will take a bit longer.

I only mention fast food because I have seen and heard that fast food is better over the pond
My two times I tried fast food outside the US was in the Navy. First time it was McDonalds in Dubai and they were advertising a camel burger. Had to try it. I will say that I tasted not a single difference. Second time, I was shore patrol in Lisbon and had a beer in a plastic cup.
No it's pretty much assembly from pre-made parts, just like all McDoDos. The issue is they seem to make stuff in advance and then take panic if anyone wants thing none standard. They start from pre-made items, patties, buns etc. The thing is they only start cooking the patties when I order. Rather than just have a line of the different patties getting ready. Fast food it ain't.

As for exotic "burgers" I think Kudu is about the most odd I've tried. That was in Namibia. This is a Kudu:

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:44 am How do you guys feel about the US's micro brewery beers?

Here in the US, you pretty much are getting a micro brewery per town in each state.
Well given we have had the idea far longer than you we're pretty chuffed that you choose to copy us. I know of at least 2 pubs in the UK that were doing that when I was in University, back in 1983. At least one pub had been doing it for decades and only sold its own beer. That was the Frog and Parrot, and yes there was a frog and a parrot. The range of beers topped out with "Rodger and Out", which they would only serve in 1/3 pint quantities. It was pretty lethal. The "Fat Cat" also used to brew its own beer back then. Both in Sheffield. When I moved to Oxford in 1987 the Brewhouse pub lived up to its name, with a brewing facility on site. You could even look at it through glass windows in the bar area.

That said it's still pretty much the exception rather than the rule. Although traditional British beer was saved by CAMRA. "CAmPaign for Real Ale" and is available in just about every British pub now. I usually go for an IPA myself.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Camel isn't even close to the unique meats I have had over the years. Though at that time it was the first time I ever had camel. But like I said, I didn't taste a difference. For all I know, that camel burger is the same meat they serve in the US. Whether it's camel, horse, dog, cat or rat.

Micro breweries here in the US pretty much started as basement beer making due to many hating the rice beer that the Big Three make (Bud, Coors and Miller). With the exception of Yuengling which is a half decent lager but at the time was viewed as a old man beer with ugly bottles and its availability was limited.

I think in my home state New Jersey we got about 70 micro breweries. Where I live, a new one opened in Hightstown called Old Heights. Where my parents live in Ewing there is River Horse, though they moved from Lambertville years ago when their original site was too small.

Between my brother, father and one of my cousins we are very knowledgeable about micro breweries, used to though. So many have opened up over the years we lost track. It's gotten to the point where we can track a bit easier who got bought out by the rice beer companies.

I do like IPAs. Your version of them, not ours. I hate hoppy beers. 4x Hoppy IPA? Complete garbage. I am a stout and porter guy though I do love Belgium sour ales.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I don't think I've tried camel here in the UK, but I have tried a wide variety including crocodile, llama, goat, wildebeest, kangaroo, and a fair few others. Can't remember what most even tasted like now. That was over a decade ago, I am a vegetarian (actually pescatarian) now.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Along with Kudu we had a vide variety of antelope native to the region. They varied quite a bit. Some were lovely others very gamy. My favourite was a foreign dish called "Chicken" :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Why is the UK are 95% of your public parks (Like kids play areas) trashed?

I have been to other countries which are... rougher, which dont have that issue.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:13 pm Why is the UK are 95% of your public parks (Like kids play areas) trashed?

I have been to other countries which are... rougher, which dont have that issue.
That'll be the kids. They're somewhat out of control and reck things just for the sake of doing it. Even things that are there for themselves.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But why is it seemingly a UK thing? I’ve been to many many places that are a lot worse which have nicer public spaces.

What makes a youth vandalise so thoroughly.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I don't know... Other places seem to have far more graffiti than we do. Sure we have quite a bit, but I'm always surprised when I go to places like Germany and every train seems to be covered in the stuff.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:47 pm I don't know... Other places seem to have far more graffiti than we do. Sure we have quite a bit, but I'm always surprised when I go to places like Germany and every train seems to be covered in the stuff.
The US has it plenty. Though it's become more of an art form now than just people randomly spray painting crap. It was especially bad during the 80's and then there was a shift in the 90's.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

NYC subway cars are such hot graffiti targets, that they tried to develop a metal coating to repel spray paint...kinda worked for a while.

Security door grates on businesses are also popular targets.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Why in the USA...

The tipping culture. Just...why?

I understand how it works. People in the service industry get paid as little as their employer can get away with paying them and therefore expect their paying customer to make up the rest of the money they need to survive. And I get that if everyone buys into this scheme it becomes the normal and perfectly reasonable and OK. But to someone from another culture where people are paid the basic cost of living as a minimum (give me some slack on this one) and everyone only has so much money, having to dole out more money on top (i.e. a tip) just seems odd. And everyone...everyone seems to want their piece of the pie. I know America is the most capital of capitalist countries in the world and that's just how it is. But by jingo if it doesn't perpetuate the 'me first' culture of the country. Perhaps that's why the country finds itself in its current state?

And sales tax. On the shelf for $9.99 and you go to pay with a $10 note before seeing the actual price with tax rung up on the register.

I'm not going to poke the 'guns' hornet's nest, but "No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens".

Now give it to me why the UK is a dreadful place. I can take it. I'll probably agree but that's just part of being British...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”