Hand weapons

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hand weapons

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The T-38 modular weapon system is the standard arm of the Coalition armed forces. Designed around a base unit which consists of a plasma generator and field confinement system. Attached to the front is one of two barrel units which accelerate the field, firing it toward the enemy. Each barrel is fitted with a rail on the underside and a fitting on each side for various attachments.

The stock folds to attach to one side of the weapon; it can be removed completely if needed.

Three magazines are available for the T-38 series; each contains a gas reservoir and an energy cell.

A variety of sights, scopes, and other equipment are available to customise the weapon.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rifle and carbine configurations...

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The CTX is one of the Coalition's standard fire support weapons. A 10 mm projectile gun, the CTX fires rounds at 2 kilometres per second via a magnetic rail. Rounds can be either ballistic, with a maximum range of 5 km, or boosted via a pulse repellor to about triple that distance. All rounds steer themselves by means of small fins which deploy after firing.

All rounds are guided by one of several methods. If the use of active sensors is possible the CTX has a laser-radar sight which can scan terrain out to 15 kilometres, identifying and tracking up to 200 targets. A frequency agile laser in the nose can then illuminate the 24 highest priority targets. Rounds are stored in ammunition magazines slung under the barrel; sixteen magazines each hold 48 rounds, a total of 768 for a full load. Each magazine can hold a single type of ammunition. AP, SAP, explosive and incendiary are available.

In passive mode the CTX can use optical or infa red sights or an electronic emissions sensor to locate targets. Ballistic trajectories are then calculated and fed into the rounds, allowing them to fly to the targets without any active emissions from the weapon or rounds.

The CTX is an extremely effective weapon in the hands of a skilled operator, but it is a complex system which is difficult to operate. There have been reliability concerns, though on investigation many of these are due to errors in using the weapon rather than failures of the weapon itself. The CTX is also prone to jamming if not kept clean - and some claim even if it is kept clean. As a result of these concerns it has a poor reputation amongst troops. There have been several attempts to produce a successor, though all have failed.

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Little suprised to see them so standard. As a general rule the less moving parts the better thus the trigger would probably give way to some form of finger ID in the near future.

Also Modern guns tend to be getting shorter yet your are still rather long. The short the gun the easier it is to move.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As with all my stuff, I try not to have electronic systems when mechanical ones are available; any electronics is both less stealthy and more to go wrong.

As for length - longer barrels give higher muzzle velocity, so better range etc. The T-38 weapon is very modular - shorter barrels are available when and if needed, see the carbine version. It's just a matter of opening a couple of catches, pulling one out and plugging the other in.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Magazine feed for a squad support weapon? That's a terrible idea from a sustained fire perspective, the typical LMG is belt feed. 200 round box is pretty standard.

The UK has had a few problems with the L86 LSW abortion thanks to the small capacity and have had to suplement with FN Minimi. You can also expect to burn out the barrel if you can't swap it.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Most of these are plasma weapons; the magazine is a gas tank and power cell. The CTX uses magazines but it carries over 700 rounds. It's also a gauss gun, the rounds don't touch the barrel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Looks interesting - especially the modular system, which would make it a lot easier to adapt the same weapon for different environments. I'd suggest using the carbine for the jungle configuration, since the main weapon looks too long to be handy at close quarters.

A few questions though. What's the rate of fire for these weapons, and what's the magazine capacity for the plasma guns? Also, how heavy are they, and is there a grenade-launcher attatchment available?

A few points as well. A big problem I can see with all the weapons is the lack of iron sights - if the normal sights (which I assume operate in a similar manner to the SUSAT) fail, then the soldier in question is in trouble. I'd also suggest, given that the CTX seems intended as a GPMG rather than a LMG, that you give it a tripod mount instead of, or as well as the bipod.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

700 rounds? How much do they weigh? And if you think railguns don't generate heat your sadly mistaken, the rails also come apart over time which if it happens in combat is going to result in a useless weapon or a dead crew.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Most of these are plasma weapons; the magazine is a gas tank and power cell. The CTX uses magazines but it carries over 700 rounds.
A modern machine gun would get through that in a few minutes, even in controlled bursts, and the magazines aren't in a easily accessible place to change, while a belt can have extra links clipped onto it in seconds.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Since we seem to have the board's two military experts posting in this thread, could either of you tell me how much ammo a machine gun would normally be sent into combat with?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Since we seem to have the board's two military experts posting in this thread, could either of you tell me how much ammo a machine gun would normally be sent into combat with?
An FN Minimi would carry a 200 rd box on the weapon and the gunner would have another on his person. The section would also be carrying extra ammo for him, one to two more each.

A GPMG I'm a little vague on but at least two hundred rounds on the gunner and a lot more on the loader and spread out through the platoon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It depends on the weapon's rate of fire, but thousands of rounds easily - AFAIK it's standard practice is to have everyone near a GPMG carry as much spare ammunition for it as possible. I've heard stories of GPMGs on tripods being literally lifted off the ground by the pile of spent cases underneath them.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

In Afghanistan it's common for the CF infantrymen to carry an entire rucksack each stuffed with ammunition, with literally only a pair of socks and rations in there with them. In excess of 120 lbs with an extreme end of 160 lbs.

People need to remember that the MG is the centre of infantry combat, all dismounted tactics are based around it's deployment. If the MG goes down, you are screwed.