Voyager, the ship.

Voyager
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Voyager, the ship.

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

You know, despite all the faults the series had, Voyager was one helluva ship. It got the snot beat out of it and it still made it home. The E-D on the other hand had Starfleet's support and seemed to be nearly destroyed every few weeks. In Year of Hell, Voyager was little more then a flying scrapheap, but was still kicking, until Janeway rammed it into the timeship. Despite the question of the usefulness of the variable geometry warp nacelles, and the landing ability(outside of Voyager's unique case) this is one sturdy ship. I think Starfleet got their money's worth with the Intrepid-class.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And it was a fairly successful test of the Bio-neural circuitry.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:And it was a fairly successful test of the Bio-neural circuitry.
Until Neelix's cheese nearly destroyed the ship by infecting the damn things.

Overall, while the Intrepid certainly isn't Starfleet's best, it is a good solid design for a scout ship. It's fairly small, is fast, and has decent firepower. It's integrated design makes it inherently much stronger than traditional saucer-neck-engineering hull configuration. It's ability to land would make it a good choice for an army/marine transport, as it allows crew and passengers to debark much quicker than would be possible simply through shuttles and transporters.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeah but not every starship will have a protocol ingnoring Lucky-go-happy Talaxian serving Viral-edam.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oddly enough, I actualy like the ship itself. It's a practical design, and seemed fairly resiliant.

But for Chrissakes will someone please seal those bio-neural things airtight? :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Chadic Garou
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Chadic Garou »

yes, its an interesting design. but many designs are nice. and all ships can land on a planet - but only intrepid, defiant and nova could start. unforgetable the uncountable shuttles of an intrepid. other ship classes have only some shuttles, on an intrepid a shuttle was lost - and one week later a new shuttle was born to be destroyed. :germany:
exCO USS Reliant-B (Stargazer Class)
exFCO 1st Fleet (http://www.trekrpg.de)
exManager Fleet Yards (http://www.flottenwerften.de.tl)
working in the Corps of Engineers (http://www.flottenwerften.de.tl)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Chadic Garou wrote:yes, its an interesting design. but many designs are nice. and all ships can land on a planet - but only intrepid, defiant and nova could start. unforgetable the uncountable shuttles of an intrepid. other ship classes have only some shuttles, on an intrepid a shuttle was lost - and one week later a new shuttle was born to be destroyed. :germany:
Hello there. And the Defiant class can't land. The Novas might, but that isn't canon. I think that came from fact files or Starship Spotter. So far the Intrepids are the only Canon ships in Starfleet that can land.

Overall I think the Intrepids are one of the best designed ships. E-D was too weak to be the Federation 'flagship', Defiant was too small to be a warship, and the E-E...okay, I'm not totally sure if it's supposed to replace the Galaxy-class or fill in as warships so I don't know what could be wrong, but you guys get the idea. The Intrepids are supposed to be small multi-role ships, and better yet they actually are small multi-role ships.

One of the few good things to come out of Star Trek Voyager was Voyager itself. I love that. I don't know why but I just love that idea :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Chadic, welcome. :)
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Hello there. And the Defiant class can't land. The Novas might, but that isn't canon. I think that came from fact files or Starship Spotter. So far the Intrepids are the only Canon ships in Starfleet that can land.
The Novas are at least atmospheric-capable, per "Equinox II" - I think the Defiant's landing ability is from the TM, although itmay have been mentioned in "The Sound of Her Voice".
Overall I think the Intrepids are one of the best designed ships. E-D was too weak to be the Federation 'flagship'
Crap design, true, but it was still the biggest and most powerful ship in Starfleet in spite of that.
Defiant was too small to be a warship
Too small to be a battleship, but warships aren't defined by size, but by role, and the Defiant was designed to fight, making it a warship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:Chadic, welcome. :)
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Hello there. And the Defiant class can't land. The Novas might, but that isn't canon. I think that came from fact files or Starship Spotter. So far the Intrepids are the only Canon ships in Starfleet that can land.
The Novas are at least atmospheric-capable, per "Equinox II" - I think the Defiant's landing ability is from the TM, although itmay have been mentioned in "The Sound of Her Voice".
Overall I think the Intrepids are one of the best designed ships. E-D was too weak to be the Federation 'flagship'
Crap design, true, but it was still the biggest and most powerful ship in Starfleet in spite of that.
Defiant was too small to be a warship
Too small to be a battleship, but warships aren't defined by size, but by role, and the Defiant was designed to fight, making it a warship.
You know what I meant. My point still stands.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:You know what I meant. My point still stands.
Which was what? I said further up that the Intrepid was a good design. Whether it was the best is another matter - the Defiant was more maneuverable, the Galaxy was more powerful, the Nebula was more compact. I was also pointing out a few flaws in your argument.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I mostly like Voyager, but one thing nags at me - for such a fast ship, the nacelles are way small. Like, microscopically small. Use DITL's size charts to stick an Intrepid next to an Excelsior, Constitution, and Galaxy, say, and you can see that the nacelles are tiny, stubby little things.

And it gets warp 9.975+ from those? Hard to credit.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In the real world, it's quite easy to explain as Voyager had to make it home, and had to do so without the (physical) support of Starfleet. This necessitates a tough little ship. In-universe, the mind teaser is, how in the great blue hell did the crew repair the battle damage Voyager repeatedly took without starbase facilities? The whole premise of Voyager makes its ship necessarily more miraculous than other Trek ships.

I do have some questions about those gel packs. For instance, battle damage could result in the death of some neurons, or even entire gel packs. How could dead tissue be replaced? From what we know, living tissue cannot be replicated, and stores of spares would be susceptible to damage as well.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Well, we've seen a fully grown clone be created in a week on DS9. We've seen them replace limbs. Whatever those techniques are could be applied to creating these gel-packs in theory.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, I suppose that could work. It would still make things a bit more complicated when it comes to repairs.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Yeah, I suppose that could work. It would still make things a bit more complicated when it comes to repairs.
Depends on how difficult the groeing process is. The clone was put in that vat of that groth acceleration fluid. It could be that easy to grow the organic part of the gel-packs. The mechanical part might be more difficult to build, but it might be simple enoughnto be replicated by replicators.