Lower Decks Canon *SPOILERS*

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Lower Decks Canon *SPOILERS*

Post by Monroe »

How serious are we supposed to take Lower Decks? I'm almost caught up as it's a pretty short season. It was actually better than I thought it would be, I can tell the writers have actually seen Star Trek and are fans (something I honestly wasn't expecting after Discovery season 1 and the trailer). But they take their jokes a bit far. Things like the alien eating the other starship is fine but Q? And it seems Q has bothered them multiple times? Are many captains dealing with Q? They did mention giant Spock, so we know TAS is at least canon by Lower Decks' standards. What are your guys' thoughts? Does it fit in universe to have a ship with that terrible of a crew?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Lower Decks Canon

Post by Nutso »

I think you should add 'Spoilers' to your title, so we can discuss the show more openly.

I just have to say, it's been my favorite of the new Treks. Mike McMahan is clearly a Trekkie, unlike Alex Kurtzman, and knows how to use old references in a meaningful way. The final 3 episodes were great, and gave me character development that is my addiction. Episode 9 in particular was a lot of fun. The final episode was a great season finale and something shows up that book readers would appreciate.

As for canon itself, I believe in story over canon. If I am enjoying a story, for example Star Trek: First Contact, I won't care about the Borg having a Queen, and eagerly accept it. If I don't enjoy it, like for example, Discovery Season 1 & 2, I won't accept the Klingon's redesign. The sad thing is, the Klingon redesign looks visually stunning but, what's the point if I don't care about them. We as fans were able to accept the redesign of the Klingons from the 60's to the 80's because they were made even more interesting, and we had a Klingon POV character, and got to see how his Klingon ideals clashed with the actual Klingon reality. At least that's how I feel. If we got more of Tu'Kuvma, whom for me was the most interesting of the new Klingons, maybe I could have gone along with it. A Klingon with drive and vision, we could have been given more of his past, show him personally struggle against his Klingon rivals, as well as his own beliefs, on the way to a Klingon-Federation war.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lower Decks Canon *SPOILERS*

Post by IanKennedy »

I've added the spoilers tag for you.

As for the best of the new Star Trek. My money goes to The Orville, with Picard a runner up.
email, ergo spam
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I agree the Orville is better. Picard was good until the ending, which I thought they missed. I finished Lower Decks, I thought it got better and better. I do wonder how they will reconnect the characters or if Brad is off the show.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Monroe wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:13 am I agree the Orville is better. Picard was good until the ending, which I thought they missed. I finished Lower Decks, I thought it got better and better. I do wonder how they will reconnect the characters or if Brad is off the show.
So, what did you think of the USS TItan's appearance, as far as canon is concerned? Does it make you want the show to be canon?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think Picard mentioned Riker's service on the Titan right? I thought it did... but yes, the Titan would be the best ship in the Federation. Riker would be a great captain.

-Remain Star Trek-
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Riker: Captain Undefeated.