Star Trek Strange New Worlds

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Strange New Worlds

Post by Monroe »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sta ... 21570.html

It's official, more Captain Pike coming. I'm probably in the minority but I'm about half way through season 2 and I really like Captain Pike. This looks interesting but I know that it'll be dark, have extra lens flares, and have ridiculous Klingons. All of that makes me sad but I was happy with Michael's visit to Talos IV. Maybe we'll see something along that? Probably a bit too hopeful.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I LOVE Pike, and can't wait for the new series. I was not enamoured with Picard, but quite liked Discovery (in my head, just accepting it as an alternate Trek universe). I just messaged my friend about this a little while ago.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Treating either Picard or Discovery as part of canon feels... really off. Treating them as "based on a true story..."-like, helps.

Like how films and shows that are "based on a true story" yet have parts that never happened, people in the wrong roles, new roles, or roles being missing... I treat Discovery and Picard as "The Following is a dramatic reanactment Based on-"

Take it this way: Consider the writers as 'having a glimpse of the trek universe' and having to work with limited resources to translate what they 'saw' of another universe. so for TOS, everyone spoke english, unless it was Klingon. Lots of human-but-with-bumpy-foreheads-or-tattoos etc. That the depiction is as close as they could get it, but the actual events could have gone a little different.

Like say... TOS as a show was episodic, so they never tackled things like *after* Uhura lost her memory, and the fact that Casting Is A Thing meant that though he WAS on the Enterprise but not a bridge-officer during what Space Seed depicts, it wasn't important to cast someone as chekov until he became bridge crew. TAS was just... less that and more 'lets make a kids show'.

TNG and DS9 and VOY are easily handled this way with the idea that, given they were made by the roughly-same-ish group had a consistant look, and was "accurately depict klingons" minus a bit of the physicality, and unfortunately Tropes Are A Thing and as such we ended up with Worf Effect even though "in the actual trek universe" he's probably *way more* of a bad-ass than the characature of him that Michael Dorn played for 11 seasons of TV and four movies.

Discovery... to me I only am able to 'fit' it loosely in using this. Like, "The writers had Agendas so changed some things and played up others and downplayed other aspects" etc, and unfortunately they "went off the rails" with the narative adaption of 'Trek universe'. And too interested in 'Ooh shiny' to properly depict ship sets that is *in keeping* with the looks established by TOS or, supposedly, older.

As for Picard... it's all in his head. They lost me as a viewer when they had Seven become the queen of the cube, despite the lampshade they hung on her issues from being a former drone several episodes prior.

I hope I can watch the new show without forcing on "based on a true story" goggles, but I doubt it.