"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Truth OR Myth? Starfleet Starships- The Saber Class

Post by McAvoy »

Watched this.

Out of the First Contact ships not Akira or Sovereign I actually like the Sabre class. She looks like a Federation ship where the Norway and Steamrunner do not.

But I also don't like the idea that every class we saw in First Contact is of anti Borg design of some kind. The super phaser is a nice idea, with its own mini warp core (presumably shuttle size).

My own personal Canon is that the Sabre class was developed post Galaxy class. The original design actually much much similar to the Galaxy class, kinda like a New Orleans class. It was still in development when Wolf 359 happened and then her design was reworked. This is when the Era of 'Galaxy class' look alike types ended.

Sabre class was designed to make a lot of them fast. Powerful and small but easy to make. Designed to fully replace the Miranda and other similar older classes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

One reason why the only ones seen in First Contact are anti-Borg, is that those were the ships that were surviving in up-close combat against the Borg cube.

There might have been regular Starfleet ships farther back that were providing engineering and medical support to damaged anti-Borg ships, then the dedicated anti-Borg ships go back in for another round.

I would expect the Saber to have more than 40 people in it though
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't buy that. First off we saw a Miranda and Nebula in the battle. There may havd been an Oberth too but not sure. Second, that suggests at that point they were segerating the fleet from the normal type and the anti Borg type. DS9 and Voyager shows that they are part of the fleet as much as the older types.

At best I think they were there because they were still new and haven't gotten the chance to venture away from the core of Federation space like Earth.

But I think the First Contact ships are part of a new Star fleet policy that the Borg started and the Dominion reinforced. The idea that the Federation and Star fleet got complacent before the Borg Confident they were capable of taking on any of the local powers could throw at them. That peace has a strong chance of happening. Borg comes and throws those ideals out the window. Wolf 359 shows how under prepared the fleet was to engage such a threat.

The Dominion shows that there is another powerful enemy out there possibly more advanced and more powerful than the Federation and they were right on their doorstep.

In my eyes, the Nova and Intrepid classes are sort of hybrids of the two types. I like the envision those two classes were developed nearly at the same time and were gifted with the growing tech developed from the crash course developments to face the Borg. But not to the extreme as the First Contact ships. Sovereign was probably an extension of the Galaxy class before being developed into something else entirely.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"