And so, it begins.

The Original Series
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

And so, it begins.

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've really started it. I'm sitting down and watching original timeline Star Trek, from start to finish.

I'm not planning to write episode reviews or anything, but I will comment from time to time on how it's going and anything that springs to mind.

The marathon to end all marathons!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: And so, it begins.

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Oh good god... I think I mentioned it once a long time ago but I grew up with the 2nd syndication of TOS on tv (around 1984-86?). I’ve watched a few episodes since then and (much like other 80’s shows) my memories of them were so much better than the show actually was. Best of luck in your viewing marathon, may you find a new appreciation and love of it all!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 am I've really started it. I'm sitting down and watching original timeline Star Trek, from start to finish.

I'm not planning to write episode reviews or anything, but I will comment from time to time on how it's going and anything that springs to mind.

I was confused. then I saw the date yo :bangwall: :lol: u posted this.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:31 pm
Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 am I've really started it. I'm sitting down and watching original timeline Star Trek, from start to finish.

I was confused. then I saw the date yo :bangwall: :lol: u posted this.
Ha, yes. But I really am doing it. I've watched from the original pilot and just reached The Menagerie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

remastered or original?
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Both? Side by side?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Remastered
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Two questions:

1) how many episodes are you getting through per day?

2) what do you think will finish first? Your Trek marathon or the lurgie?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've not a set rota, but about 4-5 a day.

I expect the whole thing to take 5 months, give or take. The lurgie will probably be at least much less a factor by then.

Just watching The Galileo Seven. Love that episode!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I just finished my marathon. Took me a year. I did it out of order. Started out with Enterprise then DS9 then TOS then TNG and then VOY.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ha. I never realised how much The Measure of a Man borrows from Court Martial. They even do that moment where Riker tries to avoid having Data's record read in court, and Picard forces it in. And the lawyer who is an old girlfriend!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Season 1, done and dusted!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:43 am I've not a set rota, but about 4-5 a day.

I expect the whole thing to take 5 months, give or take. The lurgie will probably be at least much less a factor by then.

Just watching The Galileo Seven. Love that episode!
It's a good episode... but I sided with Commissioner Ferris. As in Kirk, why did you send a flimsy shuttle out while you had a mission to deliver VITALLY-NEEDED MEDICAL SUPPLIES to stop a plague? Go make the very-important delivery, then go back and faff about in the damned dust cloud!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I did this back in November, when I retired. I then followed it up with TAS. TAS did drag somewhat. I was going to move on to TNG but ended up starting on DS9 for some reason. Then I started re-working the site and lost my place.

Recently, I moved on to watching Dr Who (reboot) from the start. We've just lost Amy and Rury to the Angels and have started moving on to Clara.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ah, Angels take Manhattan, or "The reason the companions are stranded is author fiat'. I hate that episode so damned much.