I need a vote of confidence!

Discovery
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I need a vote of confidence!

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

I’ve not gotten into discovery.. being stuck at home for another week, I’m wondering if it’s any good. I trust the fans here to not mislead me. So.

Is it good? Or another Enterprise wanna be?

I ran across this by chance on YouTube, it seems meh..
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need a vote of confidence!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I didn't care for it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The basic problem is it doesn't fit in the existing canon. For example. Vulcan's can suddenly communicate with people over a great distance. Even when those people are humans. Spock suddenly has a step sister, who is fully human. The ship it's self has a completely new drive system. If you want Star Trek then this isn't really it. If you just want a sci-fi program with decent production values then it's OK. Some of the plots are not great though.
email, ergo spam
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm The basic problem is it doesn't fit in the existing canon. For example. Vulcan's can suddenly communicate with people over a great distance. Even when those people are humans. Spock suddenly has a step sister, who is fully human. The ship it's self has a completely new drive system. If you want Star Trek then this isn't really it. If you just want a sci-fi program with decent production values then it's OK. Some of the plots are not great though.
The heck.. Spock has a human step sister? Which would mean his mother had a prior marriage before marrying surik. There’s going against canon and then there’s writing complete bs. You know one of the biggest reasons I avoided the show to begin with? When it was coming out, the director put out that fans “would WANT to watch it”. That egotistical response of what fans wanted made me dislike the show from the start. Silly but there it is. I hate when I’m told I WILL like something, usually because I don’t like it.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

She was his adopted sister, but still is something that we surely should have heard of before? As a science fiction show it is okay, not great, but watchable. I don't care what the creators say, I do not consider it part of the Star Trek Prime universe, and all of my Star Trek projects completely ignore the entire thing. The new drive system is a completely stupid idea.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:42 pm She was his adopted sister, but still is something that we surely should have heard of before? As a science fiction show it is okay, not great, but watchable. I don't care what the creators say, I do not consider it part of the Star Trek Prime universe, and all of my Star Trek projects completely ignore the entire thing. The new drive system is a completely stupid idea.
i agree, i can accept it with Picard (it has still some problems, but, my opinion, far less than DSC, with a far superior story telling) but not for DSC
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

So that’s a whole ‘nother can of earl grey.. tea. (Watching Picard). I’ll try that show eventually too, my friend gave it some positive reviews, I’m just hesitant to start anything else atm. Discovery is my current “should I/Shouldn’t I watch” dilemma.

Any other feed back or comments?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:07 am So that’s a whole ‘nother can of earl grey.. tea. (Watching Picard). I’ll try that show eventually too, my friend gave it some positive reviews, I’m just hesitant to start anything else atm. Discovery is my current “should I/Shouldn’t I watch” dilemma.

Any other feed back or comments?
Had that.
Tried it.
Regretted it.

... Heard good things about season 2 of STD when it started (becaues of Pike).

Watched it. Then eventually it was clear not even Pike could hold back the tide of stupidity by the writers of Shouldbe Terminated Damnit.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ok.

Almost a unanimous feeling toward the discovery show.

Nope.
Not good.
Don’t waste your time.
Avoid like that crazy uncle who drinks to much at family reunions and gets in fights.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

More like avoid the crazy uncle who talks conspiracy theories that are just... *<:*)X :poke: :bangwall:
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

If you are so completely tied to 'canon' Star Trek, that even the reboot in 2009 gave you hives and anal fistulas, then no, this is not a show for you.

If you can look past the discomfort of some truly terrible acting, writing, and directing just long enough to pick out some interesting ideas and performances, then while it might take patience, it might be a show for you.

Personally, I found parts of both seasons difficult to watch, mainly due to the handling of the Klingons (make up design and poor dental appliances), and many of the actors simply being terrible. However, both Anson Mount and Michelle Yeoh (both of which I'd never been able to tolerate in previous roles elsewhere) really surprised and delighted me more often than not.

Sometimes, it is the small things that can carry a show for the viewer, and help them wade through the dregs to find those moments that shine.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Oh, god the Klingons.. I'd forgotten about them, or blotted it from my memory... The acting / makeup was so bad you needed subtitles for them.

By all means watch it. Let us know what you think :)
email, ergo spam
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:18 pm If you are so completely tied to 'canon' Star Trek, that even the reboot in 2009 gave you hives and anal fistulas, then no, this is not a show for you.

If you can look past the discomfort of some truly terrible acting, writing, and directing just long enough to pick out some interesting ideas and performances, then while it might take patience, it might be a show for you.

Personally, I found parts of both seasons difficult to watch, mainly due to the handling of the Klingons (make up design and poor dental appliances), and many of the actors simply being terrible. However, both Anson Mount and Michelle Yeoh (both of which I'd never been able to tolerate in previous roles elsewhere) really surprised and delighted me more often than not.

Sometimes, it is the small things that can carry a show for the viewer, and help them wade through the dregs to find those moments that shine.
I like your writing, the sarcasm, wit, and Visual aid descriptions.. :)
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm Oh, god the Klingons.. I'd forgotten about them, or blotted it from my memory... The acting / makeup was so bad you needed subtitles for them.

By all means watch it. Let us know what you think :)
You know. I don’t think Klingons should talk. Not the everyday average warriors anyways. The ambassadors and high council members, the high chancellor, but that’s it. The rest.. just grunt, fight, growl, swing swords around, kill and be killed in glorious death.. but don’t talk. For the love of hostess cupcakes, don’t talk.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

These are the ones that talk. And they can't do it because of the makeup.
email, ergo spam