I need a vote of confidence!

Discovery
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: I need a vote of confidence!

Post by T'Pau »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:52 am
T'Pau wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:18 pm If you are so completely tied to 'canon' Star Trek, that even the reboot in 2009 gave you hives and anal fistulas, then no, this is not a show for you.

If you can look past the discomfort of some truly terrible acting, writing, and directing just long enough to pick out some interesting ideas and performances, then while it might take patience, it might be a show for you.

Personally, I found parts of both seasons difficult to watch, mainly due to the handling of the Klingons (make up design and poor dental appliances), and many of the actors simply being terrible. However, both Anson Mount and Michelle Yeoh (both of which I'd never been able to tolerate in previous roles elsewhere) really surprised and delighted me more often than not.

Sometimes, it is the small things that can carry a show for the viewer, and help them wade through the dregs to find those moments that shine.
I like your writing, the sarcasm, wit, and Visual aid descriptions.. :)
Thanks for the compliment!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:56 am
IanKennedy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm Oh, god the Klingons.. I'd forgotten about them, or blotted it from my memory... The acting / makeup was so bad you needed subtitles for them.

By all means watch it. Let us know what you think :)
You know. I don’t think Klingons should talk. Not the everyday average warriors anyways. The ambassadors and high council members, the high chancellor, but that’s it. The rest.. just grunt, fight, growl, swing swords around, kill and be killed in glorious death.. but don’t talk. For the love of hostess cupcakes, don’t talk.
Problem is that it was the "important ones" who got most of the lines. And holy shit it was terrible.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Unless you're strapped for cash, I'd say watch it if you're at all interested. Tips for enjoyment.

1. Just accept you're in a completely different dimension than "prime" and watch 80% of your annoyances go away.
2. There are some plot contrivances early on that bothered me, but they actually managed to tie them up as being reasonable later.
3. Even if you hate it you can have some fun complaining about it here :P
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

sunnyside wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:46 pm Unless you're strapped for cash, I'd say watch it if you're at all interested. Tips for enjoyment.

1. Just accept you're in a completely different dimension than "prime" and watch 80% of your annoyances go away.
2. There are some plot contrivances early on that bothered me, but they actually managed to tie them up as being reasonable later.
3. Even if you hate it you can have some fun complaining about it here :P
I’ve actually been watching it today and if I ignore the Klingons completely (or just mentally pretend it’s a show of its own with zero ties to any of its predecessors..) I have no issues watching it. I came across the step-sister (ward of sarek) of spock dialog and yes. It would’ve been better if they hadn’t tried to connect this show to the others in any way, shape, or form. Doing so makes it a very crappy attempt to cash in on the fan base.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have officially watched the first season of Discovery today. Before this, I saw the first few episodes and had a hard time with Spore Drive and Spock's adopted sister. Stopped watching when another show got my attention (The Expanse). Initially I also just didn't like how dark the show was either.

Now that I have seen the first season, the Discovery just keeps almost literally jumping into one thing after another. The Spore Drive still annoys me. Even though I know they dropped it, its a incredibly powerful device that really makes Star Trek Voyager opsolete.

The Klingons don't bother me that much with the exception of the makeup. They went overboard. They didn't do that with the Andorians, Tellorites or the Vulcans. Seemed they went that way to make this Trek different.

Discovery herself doesn't bother me too much. Initially when I saw it I didnt like it because of the look and the saucer. She grew on me.

Mirror universe... Just smacks of a desperate attempt to make the show feel familiar to the old Trek guard. Could have brought that concept in on Season 2 or something. Reworking season 1 wouldn't have been that hard. Could even addressed the Spore Drive as being unreliable.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 am I have officially watched the first season of Discovery today. Before this, I saw the first few episodes and had a hard time with Spore Drive and Spock's adopted sister. Stopped watching when another show got my attention (The Expanse). Initially I also just didn't like how dark the show was either.

Now that I have seen the first season, the Discovery just keeps almost literally jumping into one thing after another. The Spore Drive still annoys me. Even though I know they dropped it, its a incredibly powerful device that really makes Star Trek Voyager opsolete.

The Klingons don't bother me that much with the exception of the makeup. They went overboard. They didn't do that with the Andorians, Tellorites or the Vulcans. Seemed they went that way to make this Trek different.

Discovery herself doesn't bother me too much. Initially when I saw it I didnt like it because of the look and the saucer. She grew on me.

Mirror universe... Just smacks of a desperate attempt to make the show feel familiar to the old Trek guard. Could have brought that concept in on Season 2 or something. Reworking season 1 wouldn't have been that hard. Could even addressed the Spore Drive as being unreliable.
:worried: I completely forgot about trek guard!
If you get into season 2... brace yourself. There are some dragged out moments and a little too much... of things. No spoilers. I doubt your influenced by opinion, I don’t want to give one either but I want to say this much. Remember the long scenes in Star Trek the motion picture? How some felt like they wouldn’t end and you were anxious to just get into the story already? Yeah. That.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”