Fan Created Enhanced Original Enterprise VS Discovery's Enterprise - A Case For the Original!

The Original Series
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Fan Created Enhanced Original Enterprise VS Discovery's Enterprise - A Case For the Original!

Post by bladela »

I much prefer this version.
It is updated enough not to disfigure compared to modern CGI but reasonably faithful to the original
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Fan Created Enhanced Original Enterprise VS Discovery's Enterprise - A Case For the Original!

Post by McAvoy »

I have seen similar fan made ones that truly give a case for keeping the original lines but updated. RCS, turret ball phasers, docking ports like refit movie version
Some have a single or double launcher like the movie Enterprise.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Fan Created Enhanced Original Enterprise VS Discovery's Enterprise - A Case For the Original!

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That's an impressive video and really cool run-through of how and why he did it. Now personally I like the Discovery version of the Enterprise... except the split nacelle pylons. Why is there a gap there?!
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

bladela wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 am I much prefer this version.
It is updated enough not to disfigure compared to modern CGI but reasonably faithful to the original
While more closer to the original and while his 3D modelling skills are impressive.....he really didn't do anything that really "improves" upon the original. There really is no need to change anything imho. By all means....make it a super detailed 3D Modell and add details which are just too small to add on a physical modell (like proper windows with rooms behind them etc.).

But other than that...no need to add or change anything. Yes...by todays "taste" it is not flashy enough.....needs more LEDs and lights etc....like a fricking lasershow.......

I prefer a plain looking starship to be honest......makes it way more realistic imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The shell of the TOS Enterprise was deliberately made very plain and free of 'stuff' because they reasoned that putting equipment on the hull is a bad idea - you want all that stuff inside, so you can easily access and fix it.

That said, the one thing I wouldn't mind as a change would be visible weapons. Have them pop out like the NX-01 phase cannon if you like, but I prefer good sized very visible weapons.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 am The shell of the TOS Enterprise was deliberately made very plain and free of 'stuff' because they reasoned that putting equipment on the hull is a bad idea - you want all that stuff inside, so you can easily access and fix it.

That said, the one thing I wouldn't mind as a change would be visible weapons. Have them pop out like the NX-01 phase cannon if you like, but I prefer good sized very visible weapons.

Awhile ago I was messing around with the idea of how to make a blend of TOS and movie refit. The idea was to get the proportions right so it wasn't too much of a far fetched concept.

I do like the progression of NX-01 having retractable weapons to TOS still having them and then movie Era they are permanently placed outside the hull. But I also like the idea of an updated TOS already having the phaser turret balls (like some unofficial books) have them. I actually like the look of the phaser turret of the movie era. In my mind what we see is just the emitter and everything else is inside the hull. A dedicated large room for each one with a crewmember monitoring heat, energy levels.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 am

Kind of disagree with that here. Now, this stems mostly from my childhood and only applies to the E-Nil, but I actually liked that you couldn't see weapons per se. Indeed, only watching the TV Show as a kid and not going on the internet researching background material, for the longest time I actually assumed the glowing dome on the saucer, where all the weapons are shooting out from, IS actually the main weapon of the ship........and not a sensor dome (why would a sensor dome glow?).

I always found this quite cool and a bit more "alien" and different than having a classical barrell shaped weapon. I always thought that later on they did a great job with phaser strips, another quite different weapons design which is again not just a gun.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Atekimogus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 pmKind of disagree with that here. Now, this stems mostly from my childhood and only applies to the E-Nil, but I actually liked that you couldn't see weapons per se. Indeed, only watching the TV Show as a kid and not going on the internet researching background material, for the longest time I actually assumed the glowing dome on the saucer, where all the weapons are shooting out from, IS actually the main weapon of the ship........and not a sensor dome (why would a sensor dome glow?).

I always found this quite cool and a bit more "alien" and different than having a classical barrell shaped weapon. I always thought that later on they did a great job with phaser strips, another quite different weapons design which is again not just a gun.
I wouldn't mind what they put on the hull - proper turrets, ball turrets, even just glowing lights. But put something there to indicate the weapons!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I like to be able to see the weapons, any sort of indication of their placement. I like the idea of the development of the phaser strips / arrays of the 24th century. I like what you have done Graham too.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 pm
Atekimogus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 pmKind of disagree with that here. Now, this stems mostly from my childhood and only applies to the E-Nil, but I actually liked that you couldn't see weapons per se. Indeed, only watching the TV Show as a kid and not going on the internet researching background material, for the longest time I actually assumed the glowing dome on the saucer, where all the weapons are shooting out from, IS actually the main weapon of the ship........and not a sensor dome (why would a sensor dome glow?).

I wouldn't mind what they put on the hull - proper turrets, ball turrets, even just glowing lights. But put something there to indicate the weapons!
I am a fan of actually seeing the weapon itself myself as well.

I just disagree with the idea of having battleship like turrets on Trek ships. One thing they have tried not to do which is to make a gun even a phaser look like a gun in the real world sense. They don't have barells they have emitters.